Sign in to follow this  
ST. STEVEN

Spencer Howard - SP PHI

Didn't spot a thread for him and figured it was time. Seems to be checking in the back half of many big pub top 100s. Klaw has him @ #52 overall.

Here's some info:

A reliever in his first year at Cal Poly, Howard moved into the rotation as a redshirt sophomore and took off, landing in the second round (45th overall) of the 2017 Draft and signing for below pick value. He rode a bit of a roller coaster in his first full season, but finished as strongly as perhaps any pitching prospect in baseball, including a one-walk, complete-game no-hitter in the South Atlantic League playoffs.

Klaw snippet: "Howard started the year (2018) with an average to above-average fastball but by midyear was sitting at 95 to 96 mph and topped out at over 98 mph at the end of the year. And his fastball really plays, because hitters don't see it well. He has a full arsenal with a plus slider that he calls a cutter as well as a solid-average changeup that he sells well out of his hand. He was effective all year but improved as the season went on, with a 35 percent strikeout rate across his last 11 starts, roughly half his season. Phillies might consider bumping him to Double-A quickly, since he's already 22 and it's not as if we're waiting on him to throw harder. I hear a lot of No. 2 starter upside on him, with a high floor, and if he's throwing that hard that often, he should be able to get to the high minors soon."

Pipeline: Howard's stuff and command took a big step forward in the latter stages of 2018, though there is still work to be done in terms of his overall command. Late in the season, he was up to 98 mph with his fastball consistently, sitting very comfortably in the 94-95 mph range, throwing his heater with plus life in the zone. His two breaking balls can be inconsistent and blend into each other at times, but he will show an above-average slider and a distinct curveball, with them occasionally looking like a cutter. His changeup has the chance to be at least average. He misses plenty of bats and has the stuff to be a frontline starter.

I think he's got a chance to rise into the ranks of the very top pitching prospects by years' end!

• Like 2

He's been on my radar recently after Fangraphs listed him in the top 100. I can't get into the site right now for some reason but it was maybe 62? Top rated pitcher undrafted in my league. We have a sup draft mid April and barring any bad news I'm drafting him.

Not sure what happened but he's on the IL in High-A??

Has not appeared since his April 23rd start: 5.2 IP 4H 0R 0BB 11K

24 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Not sure what happened but he's on the IL in High-A??

No one knows except for him and the organization as absolutely zero details have been provided. It can be extremely difficult to get information on prospect injuries, so we can only hope it's relatively minor and not elbow/shoulder related.

Ran across this today:

Danny: Any reports on Spencer Howard before he got put on the shelf?
Keith Law: Stuff has been very good, again, was told the arm issue was minor.

• Thanks 1

Had elbow trouble toward end of 2018 ....that's all o can find right now ...I'm Phillies fan in phila so I'll keep digging 

Ugh. Those two words always have me concerned - obviously hope it's minor.

Ugh - tentatively due back by July, but that sounds like just a random dart throw to me:

I think he's got great stuff but I'm very wary of future arm trouble.  First it was his elbow, then his shoulder.  I feel like this guy is super risky to pick up and a likely Tommy John candidate down the road.  Hope I'm wrong, but I'm staying away.  

15 hours ago, Yourbettstulo said:

I think he's got great stuff but I'm very wary of future arm trouble.  First it was his elbow, then his shoulder.  I feel like this guy is super risky to pick up and a likely Tommy John candidate down the road.  Hope I'm wrong, but I'm staying away.  

Truth to be told that's not a good reason to stay away. I get where your coming from and I do not disagree for the fact is every pitcher is a Future Tommy John candidate and you can mess out on fine players by over looking them because of injuies.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Yourbettstulo said:

Who doesn't have Tommy John these days.  Just stash him and wait if he does.  And if he doesn't, you are the gainer earlier than later.

4 hours ago, Fantasy Monk said:

Truth to be told that's not a good reason to stay away. I get where your coming from and I do not disagree for the fact is every pitcher is a Future Tommy John candidate and you can mess out on fine players by over looking them because of injuies.

And further to FM's point, if his stock goes up and that's how you feel then you deal him for someone you feel more confident about or as a piece to get a big league asset to compete.

On 7/11/2019 at 7:44 PM, BigPapi44 said:

And further to FM's point, if his stock goes up and that's how you feel then you deal him for someone you feel more confident about or as a piece to get a big league asset to compete.

5 no hit innings today. Final line: 5IP, 0hits, 0ER, 1BB, 7Ks.  Kid's stock is going to go up pretty quickly if he keeps this up, better jump on the train before it's too late.

• Like 1

On 7/14/2019 at 2:13 PM, BigPapi44 said:

5 no hit innings today. Final line: 5IP, 0hits, 0ER, 1BB, 7Ks.  Kid's stock is going to go up pretty quickly if he keeps this up, better jump on the train before it's too late.

Another great outing.  6IP, 2hits, 0ER, 0BB, 4Ks. Most noteworthy, out of 66 pitches, a ridiculous 52 for strikes.

• Like 2

His first AA start:

4.2 IP, 4 H, 1 ER, 2 BB, 10 K, 82 pitches (55 for strikes)

Nice debut

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3