Sign in to follow this  
nlm

Jalen Beeks 2019 Outlook

Looks like he will be one of these super-reliever types for the Rays. Fired 3 scoreless innings with 5 Ks in his debut. I also found a nice article about him: https://www.tampabay.com/sports/2019/03/30/rays-journal-increased-velocity-reworked-delivery-makes-rays-lefty-jalen-beeks-intriguing-relief-option/?comments

Anybody have any insight to his potential?

He was the trade chip sent from Boston to TB for Eovaldi, so he must've had some value as a prospect to the Rays.  He had a couple starts where he looked decent last year.  The Rays seem to like to bring this type of reliever in after the opener, so they're often in line for the win in games where the Rays take an early lead.  That's partially how Yarborough got to 16 wins last year.  So, yeah Beeks might be worth a gamble if you have a roster spot for him in a league with a pitching-thin waiver wire.

I think he will have sneaky value in deep leagues, especially those that count wins going forward. Solid K rate and often second guy coming into games when he pitches and going several innings so has highest chance of getting the W. Still believe this guy is a solid pitcher despite the really rough performances last year in MLB

He’s a lefty out of the pen that has 4 different pitches and the stamina of a starting pitcher. He was brought up by Boston strictly as a starter, but fits the profile of the guy that comes in after the “opener” in the Rays system perfectly. I can’t see him matching Yarborough’s 16 wins from last year, but I can see him picking up 10-12 though. I can also see him getting 3-5 “old school” saves as well when the Rays are up big. In fact, he already has one. He’s going to get plenty of use.

1 hour ago, Dislimb said:

He’s a lefty out of the pen that has 4 different pitches and the stamina of a starting pitcher. He was brought up by Boston strictly as a starter, but fits the profile of the guy that comes in after the “opener” in the Rays system perfectly. I can’t see him matching Yarborough’s 16 wins from last year, but I can see him picking up 10-12 though. I can also see him getting 3-5 “old school” saves as well when the Rays are up big. In fact, he already has one. He’s going to get plenty of use.

The problem is - obviously depending on league settings - but Beeks is listed as a RP and won't get SP status based on TB usage.  At least as far as I understand how eligibility goes

Very interested in his outing tonight

has the pedigree, has the team to fix him, looking good, ya neva know.......

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, kmoore1521 said:

Very interested in his outing tonight

has the pedigree, has the team to fix him, looking good, ya neva know.......

He’s on 5 days rest so they’ll keep him in there for as long as he is effective.

In these opener scenarios, I prefer to have the opener go for 2 innings as opposed to just 1 though. It helps the guy behind them go deeper by having to face the order (at least the first 6 batters) one less time.

Edited by Dislimb

Just now, Dislimb said:

He’s on 5 days rest so they’ll keep him in there for as long as he is effective.

In these opener scenarios, I prefer to have the opener go for 2 innings as opposed to just 1 though. It helps the guy behind them go deeper by having to face the order (at least the first 6 batters) one less time.

True, one less time those good hitters would see Beeks but hopefully stanek just doesnt get shelled like last time at this point

• Like 1

He does draw the Marlins after tonight's tough matchup. 

Jalen "Clarence" Beeks

Image result for clarence beeks

• Like 1

Afraid to touch him after his occasional massive blowups in the majors. Really he's only been good against KC / his last 2 appearances. Small sample size at this point.

I'll throw him out there in deeper leagues.  Only Tuesday so there's time to recover if he gets knocked around but he's looked so good so far so why not.

looked good, wouldnt roster him full time unless 14+ teams but a nice streamer for wins much like Yarb from the Rays last year with his crazy win total

Not sure how it is on Yahoo/Fantrax etc but FWIW on ESPN he doesn't show up as a "probable starter", which means you have to closely monitor the days when he's slated to play.  Also means there's less of a chance of someone in your league grabbing him for a stream outside pretty vigilant owners though.  Not worth using a bench spot for in most leagues, but a great matchup based streamer candidate to sneak in a few cheap wins IMO.

1 hour ago, Baur10 said:

Not sure how it is on Yahoo/Fantrax etc but FWIW on ESPN he doesn't show up as a "probable starter", which means you have to closely monitor the days when he's slated to play.  Also means there's less of a chance of someone in your league grabbing him for a stream outside pretty vigilant owners though.  Not worth using a bench spot for in most leagues, but a great matchup based streamer candidate to sneak in a few cheap wins IMO.

He won't show up as one on Yahoo either.  It's really a matter of looking when they are doing a bullpen day once it gets to Beeks' 5th day after his last appearance.  Occasionally Chrinos starts, sometimes he's the guy after the opener.  Once he pitches, then it's, like I said, a matter of when the next bullpen day is.  That is usually always Beeks' day.

Lines up @ MIA for Wednesday for anyone looking to stream, obv things can change but as it stands looks like thats his day

• Like 3

On 5/13/2019 at 11:56 AM, kmoore1521 said:

Lines up @ MIA for Wednesday for anyone looking to stream, obv things can change but as it stands looks like thats his day

Can anyone tell if this is still the case? Definitely a matchup I want to target today if he's going to get the bulk.

51 minutes ago, Baur10 said:

Can anyone tell if this is still the case? Definitely a matchup I want to target today if he's going to get the bulk.

Stanek is the opener and he usually opens for Beeks to be the bulk guy, its not Chirinos and those are the main 2 bulk guys the Rays use with snell glasnow (his usual start isnt here yet post injury) morton being the traditional starters

Stream away

• Like 2

Beeks will serve as the Rays' bulk reliever behind opener Ryne Stanek in Wednesday's game against the Marlins, Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times reports.

Spin: Beeks' recent form coupled with the matchup against the Marlins' MLB-worst offense (64 wRC+) make the lefty a strong streaming option even though he won't be deployed as a traditional starter. Over his last three appearances, Beeks has surrendered just one run on six hits and four walks while striking out 16 in 14.2 innings.
  • Like 2

Streaming away in a really nice matchup....

• Like 1

The ol' Sneaky Beeky gambit pays off again 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Baur10 said:

The ol' Sneaky Beeky gambit pays off again 

That it did.  It better have against the Marlins though. 😀

At first I was mad when he only went 3 innings (unfortunately made a post about it in the Vent & Rant thread too).  I didn't think he was going to get credit for the win, but I've rarely ever had a pitcher that was pitching after an opener, so I wasn't aware of how that all worked for wins.

Edited by KilloWertz

Just wish he would start enough games to qualify for that position. 

streaming MONEY for wins, the opener thing is so useful to the Win stat for the bulk guy