Sign in to follow this  
taobball

Aaron Sanchez 2019 Outlook

Based on the schedule I posted a few responses up the trade might actually hurt his value unless he starts.

I think he will have a shot as a starter, and I know it doesn't mean much but apparently Aaron thinks he will be starting too.  Urquidy is pitching tonight too so I am sure that will have some impact.

giphy.gif

Urquidy tonight against CLE -   4 ip  6 ER  1 BB  1 K   2 HR allowed

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Trilogy25 said:

With a good outing & Peacock close to returning, does Urquidy get pushed to the BP or sent down?

Just now, DarinB300 said:

With a good outing & Peacock close to returning, does Urquidy get pushed to the BP or sent down?

My uneducated guess is sent down.  Not sure he is better than anyone else in that pen.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Trilogy25 said:

Thanks. I was waiting to hear about him starting to add him. As a Jays fan who's seen plenty of Sanchez and his dirty stuff in the past, I'm very intrigued about what the Astros can do with him. Here's hoping for a good start if he does indeed take the mound on Saturday.

• Like 1

Last 3 starts: 15.2 IP, 20 K, 1 BB. Hopefully he can continue that. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Based on history repeating itself, I'm guessing no.

Edited by MSkibisky

Do the Astros have some fingernail strengthening guru on staff?  Or is it that they can teach him to throw the ball with a better grip?

If it's the former, LOL.  If it's the latter, why would Astros staff be the only ones with this knowledge to impart?  Will they just stop having him throw whatever pitch is giving him that trouble?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lebanasty said:

Do the Astros have some fingernail strengthening guru on staff?  Or is it that they can teach him to throw the ball with a better grip?

If it's the former, LOL.  If it's the latter, why would Astros staff be the only ones with this knowledge to impart?  Will they just stop having him throw whatever pitch is giving him that trouble?

The walks getting under control and we have seen K rate increases with a move to the Astros as well, i dont think anyone is expecting either of the things you mentioned to be reasoning behind a turnaround, i believe the two reasons i mentioned are the reasons why people have optimism 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lebanasty said:

I was looking at his fangraphs page and it seems his increased suckage coincides with reduced fastball usage through the last few seasons. Is his FB getting hammered and that's why he's moving away from it? I'm not really sure where to look for that information. I would bet the Astros have him start using it more though I doubt it's that simple

20 minutes ago, street sharks said:

I was looking at his fangraphs page and it seems his increased suckage coincides with reduced fastball usage through the last few seasons. Is his FB getting hammered and that's why he's moving away from it? I'm not really sure where to look for that information. I would bet the Astros have him start using it more though I doubt it's that simple

Statistically so far his curveball has been his only good pitch.  BUT by changing his pitch usage as he has done his last two starts he might be able to improve the effectiveness of this other pitches.

44 minutes ago, street sharks said:

Interesting...HOU SP philosophy is very high FB usage orientated, they almost certainly will be having him go to it more...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lebanasty said:

The Astros preach a 4-seam fastball and high spin rate curveball approach. Sanchez throws primarily sinkers but he throws a curveball with a high spin rate. Reportedly, Houston has been trying to acquire him for a while now. You can bet they’re going to get him to ditch the sinker in favor of the 4-seam fastball, likely up in the zone. This isn’t an overnight fix for pitchers who have been geared to pitching one way for so long. Owners expecting him to immediately become Gerrit Cole are likely going to be disappointed, but with the state of the waiver wire I’ve added to see what happens. I’d venture to guess that changing the grip on his sinker to a 4-seamer will help his blister/fingernail problems.

1 hour ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Interesting...HOU SP philosophy is very high FB usage orientated, they almost certainly will be having him go to it more...

I don't think so, they had Cole and Morton reduce their FB usage when they came over to them. If your fastball isn't lights out you shouldn't be throwing it 60%+ of the time. They will likely get him on the four seam train and increase his better offspeed offerings to make up for the dip. He dropped his FB usage in his last two starts where he has seen more success/had more Ks, so I imagine they will do something similar. Not that it matters how he gets there, if houston can work their magic he could be an intriguing deep arm for next year.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ST. STEVEN said:

I thought it was the opposite. They are very focused on using 4-seam fastballs up in the zone, but overall usage is less.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Post all-star break:

WHIP | BABIP | ERA | FIP | xFIP  

1.40       .391 .     5.66   2.59  3.86

K/9     |   BB/9

9.58    |  1.31

Underlying stats look solid. Think he has been largely unlucky. With a change of scenery, I think he is a good guy to buy low / take a chance on. 

Edited by michaelai3

6 no hit innings out of Sanchez. It didn’t take long for Houston to make some changes and the results were very promising. He threw a season high% of curveballs and 4-seam fastballs with a season low % of sinkers. He also seemed to change eye levels with his pitches instead of focusing on the bottom edge of the zone. He’s a great add if he’s still available in your league.

• Like 2

God if I were a pitcher I'd do everything I could to get to Houston. They take a throwaway pitcher and in his first game he throws a 6 inning no hitter 

• Like 1

Another thought is Houston is pretty close to sea level. Is it possible the breaking pitches break more just like in Colorado they break less? I guess that would only work for home games though. Whatever it is. Strom for MVP

Greatly upped his curve usage while greatly decreasing his sinker usage. If I owned him I'd be holding unless someone blew my mind.