Sign in to follow this  
hgh22

Mike Tauchman 2019 Outlook

Starting tonight in replacement of Stanton. 28 year old former 'spect with the Rockies. If you squint you can see the contact rate and walk rate providing a solid foundation, and the improved power that has come in the past couple years playing up a good bit as a lefty in the Bronx. I added today - gonna see if anything clicks this week, nothing to lose, but it feels like it could be one of those out of nowhere guys that finishes in the top 75 overall. 

Solid background - courtesy of Alex Chamberlain of FanGraphs

Another Rocky who got away due to having to pay Cargo, Desmond, Parra.  Can’t wait until he does more than those 3 wet farts so I can laugh at the Rockies.

20 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

Another Rocky who got away due to having to pay Cargo, Desmond, Parra.  Can’t wait until he does more than those 3 wet farts so I can laugh at the Rockies.

On first look he resembles a AAAA player. Soon to be 29 years old with a .170 career MLB BA that has hit well at ages 27 and 28 in the PCL. I do believe he was looked at as more of a defensive OF for the yankees which is probably most of the reason they kept him over guys like Wade (not an OF) or Frazier (to get him more ABs). Makes for a good defensive replacement for guys like Stanton. 

Maybe I'm wrong, but for every 29 year old that gets a shot and breaks out there are several that do what their history suggests they will!

Thoughts on this player ? 

His minors numbers don't look bad, especially 2018 .323 20 HR 81 RBI. Last week or so he's had a few jacks and will seemingly get just about every day PT with the Yanks OF crippled. Seems like someone who could fly out of nowhere and put up some nice numbers.

These are the Yankees. They are lucky Frazier has stepped it up and Gardner holding his own. Do we really see them playing this guy more than another couple of games before they make a trade? Ells may never be back. They are out of 25 man roster options.

As a Yankee guy I really like what he brings to the table. His strong lefty swing will play well at the Stadium. Solid arm and good speed. Plays with heart. He should see solid playing time going forward. Maybe 4/7 days of the week until Stanton is back. From a fantasy perspective he MIGHT be worth a shot but I honestly won’t be taking that plunge in my 10 team leagues. 

Like Luke Voit, he never got a chance to get consistent ABs in the big leagues before coming to the Yankees. And he didn't really get any opportunity with Colorado.  Yankees traded for him because they believed he could be another 2018 Luke Voit.  Since playing regularly he's looked much more confident and having much better ABs.  Has a .978 OPS right now.  With so many injuries to position players (for fantasy team owners) there's not going to be a ton out there on waivers or in free agency.  Buy in cheap on Tauchman.

Any way this guy gets some time over Gardner?  Looks like he's started 3 of the last 4 games or so and is hitting well 

13 minutes ago, jeffcarroll23 said:

Legit?

Looking at the advance metrics I would say he is fantasy relevant.  Probably will not hit a lot of home runs but in Yankee Stadium he might.  

On 7/24/2019 at 12:22 AM, beauso79 said:

Any way this guy gets some time over Gardner?  Looks like he's started 3 of the last 4 games or so and is hitting well 

Who knows as the Yankee brass have had an irrational infatuation with Gardner for years.  Tauchman is playing pretty well and he should probably start over Gardner.  But Maybin has played well also so I doubt he gets enough regular ABs to be fantasy relevant.  When Stanton gets back (if he ever does), there will be little room for any of them outside of 4th OF assuming one of Voit\Encarnacion is handling 1B\DH on any given day.

With the recent Voit and Encarnacion injuries..could open up some more playing time for Tauchman.  

Is this guy going to be an everyday player with the Hicks injury?  There are contradicting stories/predictions online.

1 hour ago, boomzdaddy said:

Is this guy going to be an everyday player with the Hicks injury?  There are contradicting stories/predictions online.

I would think so, maybe he'll sit against a few lefties. Otherwise until one of Sanchez, EE or Stanton return there should be at bats.

13 hours ago, boomzdaddy said:

yes.  they are not calling Frazier up. Cashman has been clear about that.  Stanton will prob DH most of the time when he comes back

• Like 1

Officially scooped this stud. Cashman strikes again. Will be hard to remove him from the lineup with all these injuries and the fact that he's a lefty with good defense. Baltimore can make anyone look good so it will be interesting to see if this continues after the Yanks leave town. But with the amazing success the organization has had finding these bats, there's a relatively good chance this guy is Luke Voit 2.0 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

LeMahieu....Tauchman...is there anyone else the Yanks can pluck off the Rockies roster?  Leaving the hitter friendly confines of Colorado has worked out pretty well for both of them.

If the Yanks win the World Series, they need to give a ring to the Rockies....

Edited by soccerphysio

Just shows how much a joke the Yankees stadium is, plays like Coors field.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, soccerphysio said:

LeMahieu....Tauchman...is there anyone else the Yanks can pluck off the Rockies roster?  Leaving the hitter friendly confines of Colorado has worked out pretty well for both of them.

If the Yanks win the World Series, they need to give a ring to the Rockies....

In exchange for Michael Tauchman?  

Heck, you know what, why not?

15 minutes ago, Triple Short Of a Cycle said:

Not even close

Yankee stadium ranked 6th, 2nd and 1st over the last three seasons in HR park factor.