Stonej14

Lamar Jackson 2019 Outlook

2 hours ago, dashoe said:

I stream or draft QB's late every year however lamar may be a legit high round pick given his rushing ability locks in his production floor as if he is a rb and his passing should only improve and make him a more effective QB carving up defenses as he processes coverage better. He is a QB1+10 in my view meaning he gets u about 20pts a week + 10 additional I wouldnt draft him that high but i wouldnt laugh at the guy who drafts him in the 2nd round.

This is what I'm struggling with in my 10 man, two keeper league. I don't ever take QBs high nor protect them. But Lamar might change that. My decision next year will likely come down to Jackson or Carson, and at this point it's Jackson. His rushing ability all but guarantees he'll never score less than 20. I don't think you can comfortably say that about any other QB besides maybe Mahomes

Lamar has proved to wait til later in the draft for QB. That includes 2020 when he is a 2nd rounder. As much as I love him, will not be taking the bait.

Also, for what it's worth, I did that the year after Vick blew up with the Eagles and it backfired.

Lastly, no QB has done back-to-back overall QB1 in history of fantasy football. Look no further than mahomes this year.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, austin316 said:

Lamar has proved to wait til later in the draft for QB. That includes 2020 when he is a 2nd rounder. As much as I love him, will not be taking the bait.

Also, for what it's worth, I did that the year after Vick blew up with the Eagles and it backfired.

Lastly, no QB has done back-to-back overall QB1 in history of fantasy football. Look no further than mahomes this year.

Rather have Mahomes than my first pick Julio jones all day. Take Mahomes over half the guys in the first round. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, phisouza33 said:

Rather have Mahomes than my first pick Julio jones all day. Take Mahomes over half the guys in the first round. 

Okay, Mahomes I can understand. Lamar's playing style carries a little more risk.

Above all, QB as an entity is deep, and another couple late guys will emerge. Book it. Not to mention, Kyler is going to be a monster in year 2.

20 minutes ago, austin316 said:

Okay, Mahomes I can understand. Lamar's playing style carries a little more risk.

Above all, QB as an entity is deep, and another couple late guys will emerge. Book it. Not to mention, Kyler is going to be a monster in year 2.

That's a belief not a fact because it's actually less risk. Didnt mahommes miss games to injury sustained in the pocket? 

QB injuries are higher in the pocket because they dont see the hits to protect themselves. When lamar runs on designed plays he protects himself. A QB who gets hurt  running the ball usually dont slide or run out of bounds and instead take hits they dont need to take.

Newton-Ben-Foles-Stafford-Flacco-Brees-Semian-Darnold(seeing ghosts)-Mahommes all sustained injuries in the pocket or scrambling under pressure.

Not a single one of the above is a running QB.

Edited by dashoe
  • Like 4

At this point, the only that can slow him down is the prospect of getting relieved for the a significant portion of a blowout game. Could have easily put up 40+ in a close game.

31 minutes ago, austin316 said:

Same was said about Baker. 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, dashoe said:

That's a belief not a fact because it's actually less risk. Didnt mahommes miss games to injury sustained in the pocket? 

QB injuries are higher in the pocket because they dont see the hits to protect themselves. When lamar runs on designed plays he protects himself. A QB who gets hurt  running the ball usually dont slide or run out of bounds and instead take hits they dont need to take.

Newton-Ben-Foles-Stafford-Flacco-Brees-Semian-Darnold(seeing ghosts)-Mahommes all sustained injuries in the pocket or scrambling under pressure.

Also for those who want to claim lamar is a high risk injury candidate because he runs with the ball.

I would take a look at QB's who were highly mobile in a Greg Roman such offense such as Tyrod Taylor, Colin kaepernick and to some extent Alex Smith none of them sustained any major season ending injuries in an offense with Greg Roman as OC.  

18 minutes ago, dashoe said:

Newton-Ben-Foles-Stafford-Flacco-Brees-Semian-Darnold-Mahommes all sustained injuries in the pocket or scrambling under pressure.

True, but Baker cant run and he is cocky.

Just now, dashoe said:

Also for those who want to claim lamar is a high risk injury candidate because he runs with the ball.

I would take a look at QB's who were highly mobile in a Greg Roman such offense such as Tyrod Taylor, Colin kaepernick and to some extent Alex Smith none of them sustained any major season ending injuries in an offense with Greg Roman as OC.  

Fair enough.

But Vick took shots.

In any event, I'm not spending a 2nd round pick on him and will continue success selecting a late QB. And this is coming from a Lamar owner on 80% of my teams.

2 minutes ago, austin316 said:

Fair enough.

But Vick took shots.

In any event, I'm not spending a 2nd round pick on him and will continue success selecting a late QB. And this is coming from a Lamar owner on 80% of my teams.

I'm not a Vick expert nor have I seen his body of work but from my understanding of Vick the issue was not that he took shots but that he took unneccessary shots due to his poor decision making on the field.  His poor passing decision making led him to make poor run decisions, which led to him taking unnecessary hits

5 hours ago, Ruut6 said:

It’s funny these people are just absent from this thread but are lurking around elsewhere. Own up to your god-awful takes.

Give it time Vince Young. People gushed over him as well and if you recall, that team had a great Line and D as well until it didn't and he was then done. It's inevitable that he going to get drilled running the ball, spinning around only to meet a DL man who lays him out. Enjoy it while you can but its a replay of Vince Young.

Edited by FavreCo
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, dashoe said:

I'm not a Vick expert nor have I seen his body of work but from my understanding of Vick the issue was not that he took shots but that he took unneccessary shots due to his poor decision making on the field.  His poor passing decision making led him to make poor run decisions, which led to him taking unnecessary hits

Yeah, because he wasn't a film or playbook guy. He was a sheer talent guy. I'm sure Lamar wants respect as a passer and is in the film room and studying the playbook. This is my knock on Kyler Murray right now. Lamar uses his athleticism to his advantage when things break down. Kyler just sits in the pocket for no good reason. Vick looked at his first option and when he wasn't open he took off running.

41 minutes ago, FavreCo said:

Give it time Vince Young. People gushed over him as well and if you recall, that team had a great Line and D as well until it didn't and he was then done. It's inevitable that he going to get drilled running the ball, spinning around only to meet a DL man who lays him out. Enjoy it while you can but its a replay of Vince Young.

while the inj risk is obvious and real lamar has shown he is a much better passer than young and hes already shown hes more durable. haven't watched a lot of lamar but some people (cam) are stuborn or not very smart when running and take unnecessary punishment. not sure where lamar falls on that scale.

also have seen Rodgers brady mahomes ect get inj. its football inj happen. people blow out their acls in the pocket. 

Lamar tends to take risks when running the ball, but he has the Kamara-like slipperiness when it comes to avoiding major contact. Not as risk-averse as Russell Wilson, but not taking the kind of punishment RG3, Cam, or Vick would take.

I'm surprised Deshaun Watson has lasted as long as he has so far in the NFL. He takes a punishment similar to Cam.

Edited by devaster
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, FavreCo said:

Through 17 games as an NFL starter, Lamar has eclipsed Young’s single game rushing record (86 yards) 7 times.

Let that sink in.

That’s not even including their passing stats which are not even in the same stratosphere.

Lamar has done more in one season’s worth of NFL starts than Young did in his entire career, let alone his first season.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, austin316 said:

Always fade the consensus #1 QB

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FavreCo said:

Some other fun ones since (apparently) these two players are comparable:

-   Lamar’s career completion rate (63.3%) is higher than Young’s single season record (62.3%).

-   It took Young 30 starts to reach as many TDs (25) that Jackson has in 17 starts.

-   Young’s career INT% (3.9%) is more than double Lamar’s (1.8%).

I’m not entirely sure how this is a comparison, but it’s an awful one.

13 minutes ago, Ruut6 said:

Some other fun ones since (apparently) these two players are comparable:

-   Lamar’s career completion rate (63.3%) is higher than Young’s single season record (62.3%).

-   It took Young 30 starts to reach as many TDs (25) that Jackson has in 17 starts.

-   Young’s career INT% (3.9%) is more than double Lamar’s (1.8%).

I’m not entirely sure how this is a comparison, but it’s an awful one.

lump all running qbs and white skill players in together. they all the same

7 hours ago, Ruut6 said:

It’s funny these people are just absent from this thread but are lurking around elsewhere. Own up to your god-awful takes.

I'll be back to the thread with a vengeance one he inevitably hits the wall. It's coming.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, devaster said:

Lamar tends to take risks when running the ball, but he has the Kamara-like slipperiness when it comes to avoiding major contact. Not as risk-averse as Russell Wilson, but not taking the kind of punishment RG3, Cam, or Vick would take.

I'm surprised Deshaun Watson has lasted as long as he has so far in the NFL. He takes a punishment similar to Cam.

Deshaun takes hits scrambling to extend the play and holding onto the ball too long or his o-line collapses and he is trying to salvage the play. Lamar is not even close to his situation.  Deshaun like Cam has been criticized for holding onto the ball too long  to make the big play downfield vs using the rb as a checkdown the way Brady does

15 minutes ago, WayneFontes said:

I'll be back to the thread with a vengeance one he inevitably hits the wall. It's coming.

Cool. In the meantime, keep jacking off into your Josh Allen jersey.

8 hours ago, Marty Funkhouser said:

Gotta say I was completely wrong about him going into the year.i didn’t think he’d be throwing the ball the way he has. Credit to the Ravens too for helping him reach his potential. Really emphasizes how important being in the right situation is. Outside of New England, I think Baltimore and Harbaugh are the best organization/coach in the sport. I’ve looked at their roster the last few years and didn’t see much talent but they’re always relevant and in the playoff mix. They’re well run and really have their stuff together.

Their coaching staff does not get enough credit. It makes me wonder about if RG3 would have went somewhere else other than Washington. I think Lamar makes better decisions  and had different expectations coming out but it still emphasizes your point. 

Edited by GarrettHasTheClap

22 hours ago, Evincar said:

Always fade the consensus #1 QB

Lol, you obviously don't understand value and investing. Look no further than Minshew/Foles vs Baker Mayfield this year, as another example.

But i get what you're saying. Thanks for spelling it out for me. Like i said, i have Lamar in 4 out of 5 leagues, so i have my finger on the pulse.

Edited by austin316