Sign in to follow this  
bigbluecrew56

Trey Mancini 2019 Outlook

He's been tattooing the ball lately. Had a down year last year but the year before he hit .293 with some good pop. If he can hit for a decent average he will bring back good returns. He's been hitting 3-4 in the O's lineups and has an everyday job locked down. 

What numbers are we expecting from him this year?   Is 30 HR a possibility in that lineup? 

Posted (edited)

He's a simple man. Loves to murder inside pitches. Pitchers get him to case pitches that drop off the K zone and he bites often. Leading to all those GBs and K's. Should get 20 HRs by sheer hanging breakers or mis-located FBs.

The BABIP will probably bounce around like it does with Hosmer. Another worm killer. 

11 minutes ago, Jason123 said:

What numbers are we expecting from him this year?   Is 30 HR a possibility in that lineup? 

Any positives would be in re-gaining BA thru better BABIP. Which could happen. Would not expect much over 25 HRs unless he makes a major change. Have not seen him do anything different.

Even though he has talent for well above average BABIPs, his lack lust plate discipline has lead to a lot bad contact and no wheels.

Edited by Slatykamora

31 minutes ago, Slatykamora said:

He's a simple man. Loves to murder inside pitches. Pitchers get him to case pitches that drop off the K zone and he bites often. Leading to all those GBs and K's. Should get 20 HRs by sheer hanging breakers or mis-located FBs.

The BABIP will probably bounce around like it does with Hosmer. Another worm killer. 

Any positives would be in re-gaining BA thru better BABIP. Which could happen. Would not expect much over 25 HRs unless he makes a major change. Have not seen him do anything different.

Even though he has talent for well above average BABIPs, his lack lust plate discipline has lead to a lot bad contact and no wheels.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, bigbluecrew56 said:

He's still biting on low pitches, however. Its an eye thing with him. Brian Dozier once said he always tries to hit the ball to CF. What players WANT to do and the results are different. 

I've watched most of his ABs so far. Yes, he's smoking the ball, but i've also him still swing at the same bad pitches he always gets fooled on. There could be something to raising his HR/FB rate though.

Edited by Slatykamora

last year was only his 2nd season. so if he gets some gains in his approach at the dish then who knows

I think hes a better add than beckham or even healy.

• Like 1

You can’t stop Trey “Boom Boom” Mancini you can only hope to contain him.

He said he's more comfortable DHing and playing first. He was playing out of position in the outfield. When he's DH, he's in the clubhouse studying the pitcher.

On 4/4/2019 at 2:16 AM, Cheppy said:

You can’t stop Trey “Boom Boom” Mancini you can only hope to contain him.

😁

Boom Boom has been blistering at the plate. One of my favorite early season free agent pickups. 

He looks so comfortable up there   even with 2 strikes not chasing , going the other way when the pitch is outside  he looks great 

Something might be happening

Granted he's hot right now, and this might all be moot in a month, but these are some very encouraging numbers early on

First off, he's lowered his k% from the low 20s to 16%

spacer.png

He's being a lot more selective about which pitches he swings at, and he's laying off more garbage out of the zone. That 5% is a big decrease in o-swing.

spacer.png

He's drastically cut his GB%. This is probably the one to keep an eye on as he's always been a worm scorcher, but ~16% decrease is drastic

spacer.png

This is something to be excited about. He's raised his launch angle to 10.5 degrees from a career 6.5spacer.png

Even on balls that aren't falling for hits are being hit higher

spacer.png

Compare that to last season, and it's pretty substantial 

spacer.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

His soft% is still a bit high, even though his hard% has also increased. But yeah, elevating more is definitely helping.

I remember I saw an interview with him either last year or the one before, and he said he always tries to hit the ball over the 2nd baseman's head, which means he tries to go oppo every at bat. Could be he's changed that approach, as I see his pull% is higher (even though his HRs are still going oppo). If he pulled the ball a little more, he could hit even more dingers.

He;s got some nice parks to hit in AL East . I own him in three leagues and couldn't be happier.

• Like 1

Hasn't stopped hitting but no buzz for a guy who was basically on the waiver wire to start the season in all leagues. I think he's a good buy candidate, young guy who has a track record of power in a hitter's ballpark. What's there not to like?

• Like 1

good luck selling high (no luck here) 

you keep sending offers for upgrade but ride it out if you aint getting top 75ish player. (SELL HIGH MEANS shoot for top 3-4 rd player  :ph34r:)

Mancini is a candidate for pick-up of the year so far, and is showing no signs of slowing down. 3rd in MLB in hits thru 15% of the season is nothing to scoff at. The RBI & Runs opportunities are limited by the supporting cast, but he's a top-40 bat. I'm also surprised he's not getting much mention.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Resident A-hole said:

Mancini is a candidate for pick-up of the year so far, and is showing no signs of slowing down. 3rd in MLB in hits thru 15% of the season is nothing to scoff at. The RBI & Runs opportunities are limited by the supporting cast, but he's a top-40 bat. I'm also surprised he's not getting much mention.

agreed.  very underrated thus far

Took if off the hands, stayed in the game and hit a single and then came out. Hoping it was just precautionary for x-rays. I feel if someone was really wrong he wouldn't be able to swing a bat comfortably