Stallion

Matt Boyd 2019 Outlook

On 4/5/2019 at 11:03 AM, dicka24 said:

I picked Boyd up in one of my leagues.  I love the K potential, but I think his poor GB% (in the 30's) means a higher HR rate than we'd like.  The key for him will be whether or not those HR's come with runners on base or not.  With some luck he could pop an era under 4. He's not a flame thrower.  His fastball is in the 89-91 mph range.  This means there's less margin for error.

The fastball won't matter if he turns into Rich Hill and throws all curveballs.

Posted (edited)

Great start today

7 ip, 6 h, 3* er, 1 bb, 7 k's

It should be 2 runs. The scorers might be blind.

Runners on 1B and 3B with 2 outs. Batter grounds out between 1B and the mound, Miggy fields it cleanly, Boyd runs to cover 1B. Miggy doesn't even look at 1B even though Boyd would've beat the runner to get out of the inning. Runner on 3B scores. Just horrible fielding/decision making. Should be a fielder's choice at the very least. He got the next batter out so hopefully they change it.

Edited by street sharks
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, street sharks said:

Great start today

7 ip, 6 h, 3* er, 1 bb, 7 k's

It should be 2 runs. The scorers might be blind.

Runners on 1st and 3rd with 2 outs. Batter grounds out between 1B and the mound, Miggy fields it cleanly, Boyd runs to cover 1B. Miggy doesn't even look at 1B even though Boyd would've beat the runner to get out of the inning. Runner on 3rd scores. Just horrible fielding/decision making. Should be a fielder's choice at the very least. Hopefully they change it.

Fielder's choice is still an ER but he would have 1 less hit against his line

Just now, jb_power said:

Maybe not a fielder's choice then. There's absolutely no reason the runner should've crossed the plate. Really should've been an error on Miggy. It was a routine play.

Just now, jb_power said:

Fielder's choice? Cabrera ate the throw!  I didn't know you could get a FC by not recording an out.  If he made the play the way they practice it all spring the inning would've been over.

14 hours ago, Lebanasty said:

Fielder's choice? Cabrera ate the throw!  I didn't know you could get a FC by not recording an out.  If he made the play the way they practice it all spring the inning would've been over.

Miguel eats a lot of things.  He’s an all around albatross.

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, rrrich46 said:

So Boyd is a 2 starter for next week then?

Misses the White Sox for the Red ones. Fantastic. 

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, miamifin33 said:

Thoughts on his match up tonight against the Red Sox?

The rain can't miss but the wind should favor the pitchers. I like to play it safe. Boyd is a sit for me. 

Edited by weakkneeswilly

Posted (edited)

Considering facing Boston in Boston normally *most* would sit unless their pitcher is an ace. This year so far is a little different, considering the Red Sox have really struggled coming out of the gate.

What is interesting too me is, if you're a fan of Fan Graphs and advance stats (*most around here are big fans) I'm not sure you would even consider sitting Boyd. Though early, Boyd's advance stats suggest Boyd is a very good pitcher right now. Boyd's ERA is 2.96, fip is 1.65. and xfip is 2.60. Oh his siera is 2.83,  BABIP is .345 and swstr% is 16.1.

Are you chasing the talent, or the matchup?

I'll be honest, I will probably end up benching Boyd, and have no really good argument why, besides I think Sale is going to have a monster game soon,  showing the baseball world nothing major is wrong with him. And see, that argument isn't a very good one, and has nothing to do with Boyd.

Edited by Z06vette
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

Boyd is almost at the point where I won't be playing matchups anymore. 

Yeah. He's a start for me. Maybe in the summer time in Boston i might reconsider but it's going to be cold and damp. I always favor the pitcher in those conditions. 

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, bigbluecrew56 said:

Yeah. He's a start for me. Maybe in the summer time in Boston i might reconsider but it's going to be cold and damp. I always favor the pitcher in those conditions. 

I’ve debated this start for the past few days.  I think it’s a serious gamble today.  In a rotisserie league if you’re towards the top of the league now in ERA/whip or whatever I’d say it’s a sit.  But if you’ve started the year towards the bottom of the pack or in the middle I’d roll the dice today.  Fortunately for me I’m going to take my own advice and sit. 

Edited by Baseball Or Bust

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, Baseball Or Bust said:

I’ve debated this start for the past few days.  I think it’s a serious gamble today.  In a rotisserie league if you’re towards the top of the league now in ERA/whip or whatever I’d say it’s a sit.  But if you’ve started the year towards the bottom of the pack or in the middle I’d roll the dice today.  Fortunately for me I’m going to take my own advice and sit. 

Yeah i'm guessing it's somewhat of a gamble considering the Sox look to be getting there act together at the plate. I have Boyd going twice this week and his elite K rate makes it hard to bench regardless. He's pitched well versus AL East teams thus far on the road so i'm hoping he can hold his own today. 

Edited by bigbluecrew56

Yea this is a very tough call.  I think he’s a bench in roto, but I would play him in H2H or points leagues with ten or more teams.  

I know it's probably horribly flawed logic, but in H2H, I'm starting just because it's early in the week.  Feel like I have enough time to recover if he isn't solid.

3 hours ago, indycolts88 said:

Yea this is a very tough call.  I think he’s a bench in roto, but I would play him in H2H or points leagues with ten or more teams.  

He was only ever a bench consideration in very shallow leagues.  Boyd has been good enough that you just run with him in deep leagues.

Another solid outing today from Boyd against one of baseball's better lineups. He looked better than the final stat line indicates - the Red Sox came out hacking at marginal pitches, and Boyd was content to pitch into contact. Outside of one homerun and a hard hit double, most of the balls in play were grounders or feeble pop-ups.

• Like 1