Sign in to follow this  
bigbossman

Jason Heyward 2019 Outlook

Posted (edited)

Wasn't even a thread on him but have yourself a day Jason, 2 jacks and 2 swipes.

Maybe just maybe there is something to see here again

Edited by bigbossman
  • Like 1

I took the plunge in a league where I’ve been cycling my fifth OF hoping someone sticks. A two-homer, two steal day is hard to ignore, at least in a ride him while (or in case) he’s hot kind of way.

• Like 2

I was looking at him the other day, I remember he actually had a decent line last year but barely any power... could this be a sign of finally rediscovering some power? That would suddenly make him interesting...

• Like 1

Any data to back that up?

1 minute ago, cyberer said:

@street sharks did a nice little right up in the buy/sell thread. Small sample size and all but some positive signs in the early going. Not sure if it speaks to launch angle but still. 

11 minutes ago, cyberer said:

The launch angle?

It's up considerably this year, albeit in a very small sample.

nUyz2vt.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Caelum said:

I took the plunge in a league where I’ve been cycling my fifth OF hoping someone sticks. A two-homer, two steal day is hard to ignore, at least in a ride him while (or in case) he’s hot kind of way.

Same here.  My OF is fairly weak right now, so had to pick him up this morning to see where this goes.

Horrible career numbers against Zach Davis today, but sometimes hot streaks override career numbers.

I’ve had a few not-quite-lowball-but-close offers trickling in from savvy owners in my league. But nothing to make me stand up and take notice. 

Imo unless you are getting a real player in exchange, you might as well take a chance on a former top prospect figuring his stuff out at 29 and the launch angle being real. And that’s the argument I’m giving potential trade partners 

Good start for Heyward in 2019. I'm still not a believer though.

3HRs, 2 SBs...anything to this? To be honest, I have not watched many Cubs games. He has been a disappointment so far, but could this be the year? 

Idk but as other astute posters above have mentioned, it looks like possibly real changes to his approach.

Feels like he teased with big Aprils before but I feel like he's worth a look in deeper formats.

He does get a steady does of RH pitchers coming up...

The only negative I have noticed, when I have checked on him, he seems to be hitting 7th and 8th a lot?

29 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Idk but as other astute posters above have mentioned, it looks like possibly real changes to his approach.

Feels like he teased with big Aprils before but I feel like he's worth a look in deeper formats.

He does get a steady does of RH pitchers coming up...

The only negative I have noticed, when I have checked on him, he seems to be hitting 7th and 8th a lot?

He had big Aprils in his first two seasons. Since then, he had a nice April in 2017 but that's been it. Like you said, he's worth a look. I doubt he cost anyone in a mixed league any draft capital, so he's worth the plunge, especially in 5 OF leagues. 

have to bump it.  another homerun today.  is this real?  anyone watching the games?  any chance they bump him up in the lineup?

3 hours ago, jfazz23 said:

have to bump it.  another homerun today.  is this real?  anyone watching the games?  any chance they bump him up in the lineup?

I mean he probably is who he is. If you have a need for an OF give him a shot, but there's a ton of quality OF out there. 

3 hours ago, jfazz23 said:

I need to watch more in-depth.  I’ve only caught about 6 at bats and even his outs he made some loud contact.  I haven’t dug deep enough to see if he changed his approach or swing, but it seems like last few years he just pounded ball into the ground all the time.  He looks much different than the guy I’ve watched the last few years.  Super small sample though.  But at his point I’m buying in 12+ team leagues to hold and analyze.  Odds are there isn’t something magical here but he did have a .730 OPS last year which isn’t outright “dreadful”.  Would it really be that big of a shock if he went up to .775-.800 ops?

• Like 1

At this stage with 4HRs already you have to be interested. Some top OFs (hello Blackmon and Puig) haven't even got off and running yet with any.

A good lineup and park to hit in if he is hitting more flies now. Definately positive signs from what I'm seeing, add now.

Posted (edited)

I mean, I've heard he made ANOTHER swing change in the offseason. If this is leading to actual tangible results of increased launch angle & improved exit velocity while not damaging other peripherals then the obvious answer is yes. Then the question becomes HOW MUCH improvement are we going to see over prior years? 

Edited by Dirtywater97

1 hour ago, Dirtywater97 said:

I mean, I've heard he made ANOTHER swing change in the offseason. If this is leading to actual tangible results of increased launch angle & improved exit velocity while not damaging other peripherals then the obvious answer is yes. Then the question becomes HOW MUCH improvement are we going to see over prior years? 

He has half the number of 2018 homers already, in 35ABs...He's looking hugely improved so far, the question is will it continue or is it just an early heater. The fact that he has double his 2018 steal total already shows what a funny game baseball can be.

He is a former top prospect who was mentioned in the same sentence as Harper back in the day, he has a 27 hr, .269 season on the resume already, and he hasn’t been horrible (in the real baseball sense) since then. There have certainly been stranger things happening in baseball than this guy blooming late at 29. At zero risk why not find out?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Announcers on the radio said his HR last night was a bomb into the wind. Did anybody watch the game?

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, nlm said:

Announcers on the radio said his HR last night was a bomb into the wind. Did anybody watch the game?

https://mobile.twitter.com/Cubs/status/1116150966838022146?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1116150966838022146&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cubsinsider.com%2F2019%2F04%2F10%2Fjason-heyward-blasts-fourth-home-run-in-five-games%2F

hopefully that links correctly but there’s a clip of the HR. Each year I think it’s the year he puts it all together and try and roster him - so maybe this is the year?

Edited by Tyler Durden
  • Thanks 1

Hitting 6th tonight 

• Like 3