Sign in to follow this  
Palmetto08

Jeremy Jeffress 2019 Outlook

4 minutes ago, Palmetto08 said:

Looks like Jeffress could be coming off the DL this week.  Thoughts on how he'll be used?

If he looks good, I'd guess that MIL would like to get Hader back in the fireman role. All depends on if he's pitching well, but I think he'll at least get in the saves rotation with holds as well. 

• Thanks 1

I stashed him hoping they use Jeffress as the main closer and go back to using Hader in the multi-inning/set-up role but that might just be hope. Worth a stash if you have a roster spot.

• Thanks 1

stashed him hoping he becomes the closer and hader goes back to the 7th and 8th. If not, nothing to lose than a roster spot as a speculative add for a few days. 

• Thanks 1

I could be off-base, but I don't believe he's healthy--despite what he and his agent say.

Something happened late last season and he was clearly not right in the post-season...

Then ST, and he still did not look like himself. I really hope I am wrong, because he's critical to the brewers success.

I need to seem him pitch, even with the nasty splitter/slider, I don't think he can be anywhere near what he was last year operating with a FB at 92-93 MPH?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I stashed him as well. I think he moves into the closers role if he pitches well.  Hader would still get some opps, but in my humble opinion I think some teams, including the Brewers, prefer to have a multi-inning fire stopper in their pen.  Arizona does it with Bradley, and we might be seeing it in Boston with Barnes in that role with Braiser closing.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, ST. STEVEN said:

I could be off-base, but I don't believe he's healthy--despite what he and his agent say.

Something happened late last season and he was clearly not right in the post-season...

Then ST, and he still did not look like himself. I really hope I am wrong, because he's critical to the brewers success.

I need to seem him pitch, even with the nasty splitter/slider, I don't think he can be anywhere near what he was last year operating with a FB at 92-93 MPH?

"Jeffress missed most of Spring Training with a somewhat mysterious shoulder ailment that held him out of the start of camp and caused him to be removed from his appearance on March 6th after just three pitches and some concerning velocity readings. Jeffress’ agent would later tweet that the lack of velocity was due to shoulder weakness as a result of his offseason training program.

Jeffress allowed a two-run home run in his first rehab appearance, but threw 25 pitches over 1.1 innings. How Jeffress feels after these outings and how hard he’s throwing are more important than the results at this point, and the team was reportedly happy that Jeffress was able to work more than one inning."

https://www.brewcrewball.com/2019/4/7/18299074/milwaukee-brewers-jeremy-jeffress-return-bullpen

Gave up 6 runs in 8 postseason innings but saying injury was in the offseason? 2 run bomb in first rehab is a little concerning. Guess we'll know pretty quickly if he's good to go or if the shoulder injury is more serious.

Editing to add:

"Jeffress (shoulder) threw an inning in a minor-league game Tuesday and is scheduled to throw for a second straight day Wednesday, Adam McCalvy of MLB.com reports. Much like his first rehab outing, Jeffress was not sharp, allowing three earned runs on four hits."

Well that's not good.

Edited by Finisher
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

Another outing, and another HRA (no Ks)...according to Fangraphs his outing from the day prior (where he gave up 4H and 3ER) he sat 87-91, touched 92.

Jeffress pitching again today hopefully it goes well and he is up in the next 3 days. I am not just saying this cause I own him well maybe a little

How soon can he be expected to get access to closing opportunities if he does well on his comeback? Not getting scooped up as much right now in espn and yahoo.

On 4/11/2019 at 6:55 AM, ST. STEVEN said:

Another outing, and another HRA (no Ks)...according to Fangraphs his outing from the day prior (where he gave up 4H and 3ER) he sat 87-91, touched 92.

That velocity isn't going to cut it for him. 

Was excited to get this guy but hearing you guys talk about him in basically spring training is depressing. Do people need to be reminded that it’s basically his spring training? Geez.

• Like 1

Same here.  I have him stashed and now I'm like...ugh...  I'm hoping it's as someone mentioned.  The shortened or interrupted spring training being the reason his velo is down.  I won't drop unless he looks atrocious for a couple of weeks, or hits the DL again.  I am convinced that if healthy and performing, the Brewers will use Jeffres as a closer and Hader as their fire stopper. 

I scooped Jeffress about a week ago, in anticipation that he would be activated soon and might get the majority of saves (dependent of game script and Hader’s usage). He is back with the team today and has been activated from the IL.

I am very hesitant to place him in my active lineup based off of his shaky rehab appearances. I do not have the link, but I read his velocity has been down and was crushed during those appearances. 

Are those of you in rotisserie or H2H categories, holding off on getting him in your active lineup? Anyone else letting him “prove it” before giving him the green light?

1 minute ago, Unoslacker said:

I scooped Jeffress about a week ago, in anticipation that he would be activated soon and might get the majority of saves (dependent of game script and Hader’s usage). He is back with the team today and has been activated from the IL.

I am very hesitant to place him in my active lineup based off of his shaky rehab appearances. I do not have the link, but I read his velocity has been down and was crushed during those appearances. 

Are those of you in rotisserie or H2H categories, holding off on getting him in your active lineup? Anyone else letting him “prove it” before giving him the green light?

Extremely risky to put him in your lineup. I'm waiting for a couple good performances in a row before I'll even consider it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Unoslacker said:

Definitely could use some saves, but he's an easy sit for me without a second thought. I want to see 2 or 3 outings before I consider putting him in.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, NolanRyan said:

Thoughts on the lack of use over the weekend?

He only threw 6 pitches on Wednesday (2/3 inn) & 12 pitches on Thursday (1 inn)...Not sure if there is anything to read into here or not. He went back to back days after initially being activated from his extended spring/rehab from a shoulder issue. This could just be a case of the brewers being overly cautious here, but I see how one could wonder if something is up, as there were more than a few instances where they could have used him in some jams. I’m not going to speculate any further as we don’t have anything until something is released or one of the beat writers asks this same question and we can get Counsell to clarify.

3 minutes ago, jbarretta said:

They are treating like the closer

I speculated and added Jeffress a while back in anticipation he would eventually take over the role so I hope you are eventually correct here, but I think they are still easing him back. His velocity is still down more than a few ticks (3-5 MPH) so I don’t think they want to put him in those high leverage situations until he can gain a few back or show that he can still get hitters out with diminished Velo with a different approach/repertoire.

Is this guy still a must hold? He's been back for almost 3 weeks now I believe and yet to receive a save opp, starting to feel like dead weight.

5 hours ago, bigboyish said:

Is this guy still a must hold? He's been back for almost 3 weeks now I believe and yet to receive a save opp, starting to feel like dead weight.

I have stashed him as a handcuff to Hader in 2 leagues where I own Hader.  I think Milwaukee will give him every opportunity to eventually reclaim or at least share the closer role with Hader, so that Hader can slot into his fireman role depending on matchups.  Just my opinion.