BigPapi44

Zac Gallen - SP Marlins

Posted (edited)

Figured it was time to get this guy his own thread.  The 6'2 190lb right hander has started the season on fire.  Considered a high floor low ceiling starter, he seems to be putting together a case as a possible #2-3 fantasy starter if the reports about some increase in velocity is true.  Thru his first 2 starts, Gallen's numbers are as follows:

13IP, 3hits, 1ER, 0BB, 19Ks

Now it may be important that his better stats, so far, are actually just a continuation of his second half from last year.  I found this article, https://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-marlins/fl-sp-marlins-20190302-story.html, which speaks to Gallen changing his arm angle in the 2h last year and also Gallen working on a cutter in the off-season.  If that refinement has led to these improving results, then the Marlins might have something here beyond a back-end SP.  At this point, I think he is a guy to be on most radars especially given his proximity to the majors.

Edited by BigPapi44
  • Thanks 1

I just added him in a super deep league where practically every starting pitcher in baseball is owned.  Whats his path to the majors?  More struggled by Urena and/or Pablo Lopez or do we think he could possibly be brought up as a reliever?

10 minutes ago, Dahk said:

I just added him in a super deep league where practically every starting pitcher in baseball is owned.  Whats his path to the majors?  More struggled by Urena and/or Pablo Lopez or do we think he could possibly be brought up as a reliever?

My own thoughts are that he is 23 (turning 24 in August) and this is a repeat of AAA, so if he continues to perform like this I suspect the Marlins give him a look.  I don't see why they wouldn't do so as a starter.  Perhaps he may be on an innings limit, but he did throw nearly 150IP 2 years ago and 135IP last year so I don't suspect they will treat him with kid-gloves.  Just my two cents.

3 hours ago, Dahk said:

Yeah, his uptick and esp proximity making him very interesting, esp to us in bigger leagues. I don't think the guys you mentioned are going anywhere for quite some time--despite a few early struggles. But with Chen not stretched out anymore, he's prob 1 injury away from his MLB debut? Though I am not certain his 40 man status?

I ran into this info in the CBS prospects report today: "Gallen took a step back in his first season with the Marlins last year after impressing in the St. Louis Cardinals organization two years ago, but he may have gotten to the root of the problem: an inconsistent arm slot. Sticking to more of a three-quarters delivery rather than drifting to something more over the top should help his plus command play up, and it made him literally unhittable in his season debut for Triple-A New Orleans Friday. He struck out eight and walked non in six one-run innings next time out, and that's after recording 12 strikeouts vs. one walk in nine innings this spring. Clearly, there's something to build on for a pitcher who's nearly major league-ready."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Yeah, his uptick and esp proximity making him very interesting, esp to us in bigger leagues. I don't think the guys you mentioned are going anywhere for quite some time--despite a few early struggles. But with Chen not stretched out anymore, he's prob 1 injury away from his MLB debut? Though I am not certain his 40 man status?

I ran into this info in the CBS prospects report today: "Gallen took a step back in his first season with the Marlins last year after impressing in the St. Louis Cardinals organization two years ago, but he may have gotten to the root of the problem: an inconsistent arm slot. Sticking to more of a three-quarters delivery rather than drifting to something more over the top should help his plus command play up, and it made him literally unhittable in his season debut for Triple-A New Orleans Friday. He struck out eight and walked non in six one-run innings next time out, and that's after recording 12 strikeouts vs. one walk in nine innings this spring. Clearly, there's something to build on for a pitcher who's nearly major league-ready."

I actually was just reading on his most recent star and CBS had the following:

“Gallen isn't on the 40-man roster yet, so a big-league debut this season may not be in the cards for the 23-year-old, but if he keeps dominating at Triple-A he'll put himself in the Marlins' rotation plans for 2020.”

I am not real familiar with the 40 man or not, so could him not being on it currently, prevent him from actually coming up at some point this season?

1 hour ago, LarryDavid said:

I actually was just reading on his most recent star and CBS had the following:

“Gallen isn't on the 40-man roster yet, so a big-league debut this season may not be in the cards for the 23-year-old, but if he keeps dominating at Triple-A he'll put himself in the Marlins' rotation plans for 2020.”

I am not real familiar with the 40 man or not, so could him not being on it currently, prevent him from actually coming up at some point this season?

To make room for him on the 40-man, the Marlins would have to designate someone for assignment or put someone on the 60-day DL, so it’s a significant move. If they need to call up a guy just for a spot start, it would more likely be Jarlin Garcia because he’s already on the 40-man, even though Gallen is clearly the better pitcher.

But I do think the CBS blurb is a little pessimistic to suggest he’ll be down all year. If he continues to dominate they’ll find a way to get him on the 40-man.

• Thanks 1

More of the same from Gallen again today as the breakout continues.  5.2IP, 2hits, 0ER, 1BB, 6Ks.  

• Like 1

I've made the add in appropriate leagues... can't be ignored with this run he's on

• Like 1

For the season: 18.2 IP, 25 K, 1 BB, 0.48 ERA, 0.32 WHIP.

I'm trying to maintain a healthy skepticism - small sample size, no record of doing this before, little scout love, etc. - but he's pitching about as well as humanly possible by every conceivable metric. Definitely a guy that needs to be rostered and then see where it goes.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, SpartyOn4 said:

For the season: 18.2 IP, 25 K, 1 BB, 0.48 ERA, 0.32 WHIP.

I'm trying to maintain a healthy skepticism - small sample size, no record of doing this before, little scout love, etc. - but he's pitching about as well as humanly possible by every conceivable metric. Definitely a guy that needs to be rostered and then see where it goes.

@SpartyOn4 check out the link to the article I posted above.  He's actually building on a really strong 2H last year.  He notes the improvement to changing his arm angle in the 2H last year and he also was working on a cutter in the off-season.  The results have been pretty damn good so far.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Ho hum, just another night for Gallen.  6.2IP, 7hits, 0ER, 3BBs, 6Ks, 100 Pitches (68 strikes).  The line isn't 'as' good tonight but of note, they let him go longer and he gave up a couple base runners in the 7th.  Microscopic ERA goes down again.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

Any updated thoughts on him, thinking about stashing him

any ETA

If he keeps it up, no question he gets promoted at some point.  He has nothing left to prove in AAA.

Id imagine he gets the next chance once they need to replace someone. Maybe they wait for super 2, I would guess probably not.

6 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

Id imagine he gets the next chance once they need to replace someone. Maybe they wait for super 2, I would guess probably not.

Everyone’s fairly solid in that rotation.  Not sure what numbers are after Trevor Richards (who id say is easily worst of starters in rotation) tossed BP tonight, but coming in nobody had above a 4.44 FIP.  Caleb is obviously a stud, Urena is solid, Pablo is solid, Sandy and Richards are OK but likely the avenue to watch outside of injury for a callup shot.

9 hours ago, Cmilne23 said:

Everyone’s fairly solid in that rotation.  Not sure what numbers are after Trevor Richards (who id say is easily worst of starters in rotation) tossed BP tonight, but coming in nobody had above a 4.44 FIP.  Caleb is obviously a stud, Urena is solid, Pablo is solid, Sandy and Richards are OK but likely the avenue to watch outside of injury for a callup shot.

Urena is solid?

1 hour ago, ThreadKiller said:

Urena is solid?

Yes, 3.98 ERA, 1.18 whip last year.  Good command, doesn’t walk a ton of guys.  He had a rough start so overall numbers look bad but overall would a take month + of horrid bombings for them to probably consider a move with Urena.  Plus he’s arb eligible next year and a few years from FA, he’s likely the guy in rotation they’ll look to get trade assets for.

18 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

Yes, 3.98 ERA, 1.18 whip last year.  Good command, doesn’t walk a ton of guys.  He had a rough start so overall numbers look bad but overall would a take month + of horrid bombings for them to probably consider a move with Urena.  Plus he’s arb eligible next year and a few years from FA, he’s likely the guy in rotation they’ll look to get trade assets for.

Doesn’t K a lot of guys either. Plus his FIP being over 4 last year points to the fact that he kicked himself into an ERA barely below 4. Agree to disagree, I have a different definition of “solid” when assessing a pitcher’s value. Urena is a replacement level pitcher IMO.

You think some other team is going trade legit assets for him? Interesting.

• Like 1

Back at it today: 8IP, 2hits, 2ER, 1BB, 7Ks (2 solo shots account for the runs).

Numbers are very impressive. I saw this from a recent Brad Johnson article on fangraphs about him:

While there are no shortage of sites hyping his recent performance, two important detail are missing: fastball velocity and pitch usage. We’re still very much in the dark as to why Gallen is succeeding. We only know it’s happening. To that end, I’ve set FanGraphs resident prospect hounds on the trail. We’ll report our findings soon!

So does anyone have any info on where his velocity is sitting? Does he have any plus pitches?

• Like 1

Ceiling is considered a back of the rotation starter.

12 minutes ago, meh2 said:

Numbers are very impressive. I saw this from a recent Brad Johnson article on fangraphs about him:

While there are no shortage of sites hyping his recent performance, two important detail are missing: fastball velocity and pitch usage. We’re still very much in the dark as to why Gallen is succeeding. We only know it’s happening. To that end, I’ve set FanGraphs resident prospect hounds on the trail. We’ll report our findings soon!

So does anyone have any info on where his velocity is sitting? Does he have any plus pitches?

Read the article I posted above.  He is actually just picking up where he left off in the 2H of last season.  He credits the improvement in a change in his arm angle and he also has worked on his cutter.

11 hours ago, ThreadKiller said:

Urena is solid?

Mine's 100%😆

• Haha 1

Wondered why tucker and yordan did nothing today, they faced Gallen. He's dominating right now, feels paddack ish. For a guy not on any top 100 lists I think he's going to be a 12 team relevant starter right away.

• Like 1