BigPapi44

Zac Gallen - SP Marlins

just lost kluber last night and would love to use that spot in a very deep (thin wire) roto league as a stash for zac, any updated insight on an ETA?

On 4/28/2019 at 11:05 PM, rasto21585 said:

Is he a must pickup in dynasty leagues? 

I think he has to be. His numbers are absurd right now and this is after a mechanical change in the offseason backing it up. He plays for a team that is ideal for rookies. Opportunity to play if you can force your way. All youth needs to navigate player control stuff these days, but not all youth has opportunity, which I think is so overlooked in dynasty. Everyone looks at upside and a prospect's timeline/path to the big leagues gets overlooked a lot. I like having prospects produce in the big leagues, but I also like it when prospects get exposed in the big leagues so I can cut bait. Gallen will pitch in a great park. There is a lot to like about his future and as much as the Marlins suck, they have been producing some pretty solid pitchers. 

• Like 1

Really did not expect this from Gallen when he was traded from the Cardinals. Hope that they don't end up regretting the move...

• Like 1

I'm healthy holding him in a 12 team.. Hoping for a mid-late May call up. A lot to like about his stuff & improvements he's made. Can anybody give me the rundown on why all the Marlins pitchers are doing solid in AAA-New Orleans though? 

I've been a long-time Marlins fan living in NOLA. Have been reading about Gallen here and elsewhere and figured it was time to make the trek to the ballpark to see what all the fuss is about. As I type this, it's the bottom of the 4th inning, and wow this kid is the real frickin deal. Just in complete control of all his pitches, constantly pounds the zone, has a brilliant cutter, and just looks the part of a future stud. Don't get me wrong, I know I'm not watching the reincarnation of Pedro Martinez here. He's not overpowering. He doesn't throw it 100 mph. But he's crafty as hell. It's easy to see how his game will translate to the big league level, and quite honestly I don't understand why he's not in the big leagues now. Someone here mentioned that he's not on the 40-man which might be the delay. Maybe that's true? But I'll be shocked if he's not called up by mid June. Anyway, just wanted to share my thoughts. Fantasy players should be drooling to get this guy. He's not in MLB Pipeline top 100 but with his results and pedigree I'm calling BS. He's as good as any at this level and looks like a man vs boys. Game now moving to the top of the 5th. He's struck out 4 thru 4.1 ip and allowed 1 hit, but the hit was a homer. That raised his ERA to 0.96 hahaha, his strikeouts to walk ratio is 42 : 5. Just crazy. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Another impressive perfoemance.

7 IP, 3 hits, 2 ER, 10 K's/0 Walks.

Edited by GriffeySwag
  • Like 2

Alcantara currently imploding in the first inning vs Cubs

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, WTP333 said:

Alcantara currently imploding in the first inning vs Cubs

We want more we want more lol 

I have to assume the marlins would wait until super 2 is for sure before calling him up. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Kazmagic said:

I have to assume the marlins would wait until super 2 is for sure before calling him up. 

I don' think he's the kinda of prospect that a team would make a decision based on that...it's more about if a 40 man spot is there for the taking imo. He looks pretty much ready though, and they might give Sandy one or two more turns to get straightened out.

• Like 1

getting close to taking the stash plunge on this guy, the home park is just too juicy

49 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

I don' think he's the kinda of prospect that a team would make a decision based on that...it's more about if a 40 man spot is there for the taking imo. He looks pretty much ready though, and they might give Sandy one or two more turns to get straightened out.

I’m sure there’s a ton of trash on that 40 man roster that would be easy to take out to the DFA dump.  This roster isn’t exactly budding with talent.

I think every single team except maybe those that have realistic playoff aspirations are worried about player control, regardless of the quality of prospect being considered for promotion. Gallen has made drastic improvements and if he produces at the MLB level Jeter & Co. will want to pay him as little as possible for as long as possible. It is just the way the game works. 

1 hour ago, thezing1 said:

I think every single team except maybe those that have realistic playoff aspirations are worried about player control, regardless of the quality of prospect being considered for promotion. Gallen has made drastic improvements and if he produces at the MLB level Jeter & Co. will want to pay him as little as possible for as long as possible. It is just the way the game works. 

Super 2 safe deadline has been late May/early June most years with mid to late June being the date that’s generally 100% safe to call up.  So Zac could be down for another month or so?

1 hour ago, Cmilne23 said:

Super 2 safe deadline has been late May/early June most years with mid to late June being the date that’s generally 100% safe to call up.  So Zac could be down for another month or so?

I tend to not think about it in that much detail because it will drive you crazy. I know players are going to be stashed in the minors until late April like Vlad and Senzel. Personally, I find the Padres to be reckless with what they have done with their prospects this season. It is just bad business, but it is refreshing to see someone in the MLB compete first and ask financial questions later. After April it is going to be a matter of how a team operates and I look at it on a case by case basis from what we know. So these are my thoughts on the macro level: Gallen is producing at an elite level. There are weak links in the rotation. That is the support for the call-up. Gallen will not increase the profitability of the Marlins business this year. If Gallen doesn't increase profits, then why would they deploy him in a way that he increased costs. Gallen won't make them more competitive. Gallen staying in AAA for an extended period this year won't change how Miami competes next year (they are going to be awful again). Not on the 40 man (whatever, their 40 man is awful).

Personally, I just think there is something to be said about coming to the big leagues and getting your teeth kicked in on the W-L side of things because you are playing for a AAAA team. I think coming up and competing and always losing is not good. Just my personal opinion, but dominating AAA and getting a shorter stint in MLB isn't the worst thing for Gallen. The Marlins should be better next year (they can't really be worse, can they?) and Gallen should be locked in for a rotation spot if he flashes potential in Miami when he gets the call and stays healthy. 

1 hour ago, MoonyGray said:

...and tonight

gallen.png

Nothing left to prove.

His WHIP coming into today was .55.................. .55

• Like 1

15 hours ago, GriffeySwag said:

Nothing left to prove.

His WHIP coming into today was .55.................. .55

Unfortunately, we are not longer in a meritocracy when it comes to prospects. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, thezing1 said:

Unfortunately, we are not longer in a meritocracy when it comes to prospects. 

Agreed.  Baseball, the only sport where it can actually benefit an organization, not to put their best team on the field.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Goatstain3 said:

Agreed.  Baseball, the only sport where it can actually benefit an organization, not to put their best team on the field.  

Well basketball has a legitimate tanking problem and you could argue football is heading in that direction too.

1 hour ago, smeeze said:

Well basketball has a legitimate tanking problem and you could argue football is heading in that direction too.

Any sport with a draft potentially rewards failure. This is hardly a unique baseball problem.

Personally I wish MLB had a promotion/relegation system like European soccer. The Marlins would probably be in Short Season Class A by now.

• Like 1