BigPapi44

Zac Gallen - SP Marlins

2 hours ago, smeeze said:

Well basketball has a legitimate tanking problem and you could argue football is heading in that direction too.

While I do agree, I think baseball is different.  Some teams start "tanking" from opening day.  I think think football and basketball at least, attempt to to disguise it, initially.

Baseball is different.  Teams hold players in a minor league, that no other league has an equivalent of, to maintain longer rights to a player because their is no salary cap even though these players can improve their team.

• Like 1

wish there was some Gallen news every time this thread bumed. can't wait for the call-up post!

Dude is dealing while Alcantara and Urena are fighting to keep sub-5 ERAs. Thought for sure that Alcantara's start yesterday would be the final push for a call up but nothing yet. Is he another Super 2 player?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, mocha4313 said:

Dude is dealing while Alcantara and Urena are fighting to keep sub-5 ERAs. Thought for sure that Alcantara's start yesterday would be the final push for a call up but nothing yet. Is he another Super 2 player?

Problem is that he is not even in 40 man rosters, so it might be taken longer..

Some scouting info from Fangraphs

Eric Longenhagen came back with a scouting report. His velocity remains the same as last season, working 91-94 mph and topping out with a few 96 mph heaters. Eric wondered if Gallen might have improved his spin axis “which is ideal for rise.” It’s also possible he’s simply learned how to use that ideal-for-rise spin more effectively.

• Like 1

Aaaand, Another outstanding performance tonight 

likely out after 102 pitches 

7ip 2 h 2r/1er 1 bb 9 K 

ERA now @ 1.16

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

As I stated to start this thread, the improvements really do date back to the 2H of last year.  We now have more than enough of a sample size and he is likely being promoted some time in June, imo.

Edited by BigPapi44
  • Like 1

Zac Gallen fanatics,

Marlins projected starters for this week:

TUE - Smith

WED - Urena

FRI - Richards

SAT - Lopez

SUN - Alcantara

Caleb Smith could go Sunday on regular rest if the Marlins wanted to skip Alcantara(5.11/5.25/5.54 ERA/FIP/xFIP), but Marlins likely wouldn't want to push Smiths' innings.

Gallen would line up with an extra day of rest for that Sunday start.

There is the 40-man issue as discussed. Are there any Marlins sharps in the house who can comment on if any of the guys on the 40-man are clearly expendable? Typically, an MLB team isn't exactly hamstrung 40-man decisions, and they will find a way for a guy like Gallen to get a spot if they want him up. 

Thanks,

Rabbit

18 minutes ago, Rabbit Maranville said:

Zac Gallen fanatics,

Marlins projected starters for this week:

TUE - Smith

WED - Urena

FRI - Richards

SAT - Lopez

SUN - Alcantara

Caleb Smith could go Sunday on regular rest if the Marlins wanted to skip Alcantara(5.11/5.25/5.54 ERA/FIP/xFIP), but Marlins likely wouldn't want to push Smiths' innings.

Gallen would line up with an extra day of rest for that Sunday start.

There is the 40-man issue as discussed. Are there any Marlins sharps in the house who can comment on if any of the guys on the 40-man are clearly expendable? Typically, an MLB team isn't exactly hamstrung 40-man decisions, and they will find a way for a guy like Gallen to get a spot if they want him up. 

Thanks,

Rabbit

I’m not a Marlins sharp by any stretch but looking at that 40 man there should be no shortage of candidates. Yuck. DFA Chen, he’s garbage. If not him, there are others that could just as easily. I agree with your timeline. Sunday would be a home game. 

I just picked him up.  We have open, first come first serve waivers.  I'm not gonna wait till someone else beats me to the punch.

Posted (edited)

I expect Gallen by mid June, if he continues to pitch so well what incentive is there to leave him in the minors. I know it's the marlins and their FO has earned much goodwill but they are trying to develop talent. Some no pressure starts in the majors would make sense unless you are trying to delay his service time another year which would be outrageous

Edited by loro1991

3 hours ago, loro1991 said:

I expect Gallen by mid June, if he continues to pitch so well what incentive is there to leave him in the minors. I know it's the marlins and their FO has earned much goodwill but they are trying to develop talent. Some no pressure starts in the majors would make sense unless you are trying to delay his service time another year which would be outrageous

If he continues to pitch this well, even mid June seems late unless Alcantara gets it together. And with the Marlins, every start is a no pressure one.

23 minutes ago, mocha4313 said:

If he continues to pitch this well, even mid June seems late unless Alcantara gets it together. And with the Marlins, every start is a no pressure one.

Agreed.  Even though it's only a month, it's going to be really hard to keep him down much longer unless he has a freak blowup start.

Regardless, he looks like he could be pretty special whenever they call him up and well worth the wait.  I'm happily sacrificing a bench spot to stash him right now.

14 hours ago, einstein2u said:

How good is this kid?  potential ace?  a good number 3?

This is my question as well with Gallen.  As it was with Corbin Martin.  Obviously both can be very good pitchers in the majors if things break right, but why the low rankings and lack of general excitement about their upside?  Im an internet scout at best so I cant base anything on other than what I've read and I get the "yeah he might be alright" vibe rather than the "kid has a chance to dominate" vibe.  Good opportunity, good home park, good MiLB numbers to date, but just no scouts thinking he's got filthy stuff.  Always about league context, but I just can't roster a lot of guys who might be Jake Junis.  Gotta find the Paddacks.  Which one is Gallen?

23 minutes ago, treat88 said:

This is my question as well with Gallen.  As it was with Corbin Martin.  Obviously both can be very good pitchers in the majors if things break right, but why the low rankings and lack of general excitement about their upside?  Im an internet scout at best so I cant base anything on other than what I've read and I get the "yeah he might be alright" vibe rather than the "kid has a chance to dominate" vibe.  Good opportunity, good home park, good MiLB numbers to date, but just no scouts thinking he's got filthy stuff.  Always about league context, but I just can't roster a lot of guys who might be Jake Junis.  Gotta find the Paddacks.  Which one is Gallen?

Everybody wants the Paddocks but without taking a chance on the Gallens it’s tough to just fall into a Paddock. He is more than likely not an ace. There are actually very few aces in the league with regards to how many starters there actually are.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, dilly3307 said:

Everybody wants the Paddocks but without taking a chance on the Gallens it’s tough to just fall into a Paddock. He is more than likely not an ace. There are actually very few aces in the league with regards to how many starters there actually are.

For sure.  Just trying to gauge if that kind of upside is here or if the realistic upside is a league average arm.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, treat88 said:

I think the reason there is no hype around his performance is because he changed his arm slot over the offseason and the change in results have been drastic. I would imagine the hype is delayed because he is a completely different pitcher. This happened to Halladay. I am not saying he is Halladay and just using that as an example of what an arm slot change can do for a pitcher. 

I don't know what he is yet. He has to have good stuff and movement. I try to watch video, which isn't much so this is based on a super small sample size, but the thing that concerns me is he misses the catchers' target in the zone far more often than I would like to see. That lack of command almost always gets punished in the MLB. You rarely see this level of dominance without having good stuff (I can't think of any examples of this), but I think his command will dictate what he is at the next level. Definitely worth taking a flyer on if you can. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
On 5/15/2019 at 1:06 PM, thezing1 said:

...the thing that concerns me is he misses the catchers' target in the zone far more often than I would like to see. That lack of command almost always gets punished in the MLB...

Rest easy, this is near impossible to eyeball watching youtube. I have gotten myself into a tizzy over guys in the past looking for just that. Then I read an article a couple years ago. (Apologies, I've searched for it and can't find it now, so don't have the exact data) The gist was that the difference between elite and lousy command guys, when measured by the average distance their catchers had to move the glove per pitch, was remarkably slight. Also, that everyone moved the glove a ton. The numbers were along the lines of Maddox moving the glove 8 1/2" and some Liriano type moving it 10 1/2" inches. My takeaway was to stop talking myself into or out of prospects by watching the catcher's mitt on youtube. Watch the ball, bdy. Does it surprise me?

I think owners are hoping that (1) the splitter with the new arm slot is now a plus, mlb out pitch, and (2) the 1 1/2 BB/9 indicates that he has developed plus command. Both seem totes possible IMO, making him a decent lottery ticket for the solid SP2 upside that scouts can't, in good conscience, hang on a guy with 92 mph gas. 

Edited by bdy1
  • Like 5

According to RotoWire, he a call up is not imminent and he may have to wait for an injury in the rotation.

On one hand, it sucks as he has nothing left to prove in the PCL but a call up always depended on the Marlins' willingness to put the best product possible on the field. Never seemed to be a winning bet in hindsight

Not totally shocking given it's the Marlins, but still somewhat of a joke considering how poorly Alcantara is pitching and how ridiculous Gallen is pitching.  Especially since he's done nothing to garner any kind of leash, since even though his numbers looked decent last season, his control was awful and continues to be this season.

Alcantara pitching a gem today against the Mets while Gallen getting rocked by Iowa. Don’t know if that has any effect on the Marlins’ plans but it certainly can’t help.

• Like 1