BigPapi44

Zac Gallen - SP Marlins

21 minutes ago, SpartyOn4 said:

Alcantara pitching a gem today against the Mets while Gallen getting rocked by Iowa. Don’t know if that has any effect on the Marlins’ plans but it certainly can’t help.

The Mets failed to show up, giving Alcantara a gem of a line.  That sounds about right, sadly... 😉

It is definitely not a good thing for Gallen getting called up anytime soon now.  Barring an injury, it still could be a little while since it'll make them think Alcantara might be turning a corner or something, but it's really more just the Mets not caring anymore already.

Gallen recovered fairly well from a rough start there. Finishes with 6 IP, 10K, 1 BB, 8 H, 5 ER, 2 HR. First time all season he’s allowed more than 2 runs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, SpartyOn4 said:

Gallen recovered fairly well from a rough start there. Finishes with 6 IP, 10K, 1 BB, 8 H, 5 ER, 2 HR. First time all season he’s allowed more than 2 runs.

Sometimes that can be a great barometer of a call up - how well you handle adversity. He's been on cruise control the entire season, so it's great to see him respond so well to a rough first couple of innings. (Of course, you never know what the Marlins are going to do - but as an evaluator, I'd likely be as impressed by this start as any of his other ones)..

• Like 2

4 hours ago, SpartyOn4 said:

He was due for some ERA regression anyways. 10-1 K/BB and 10 K's in 6 IP is very very impressive. 

I'm absolutely amazed by Gallen's stats considering the offensive numbers being put up in the PCL this year.  I hate eating up  a roster spot for a minor leaguer that doesn't have a true schedule, or expectation for a call up, and the fact that he would be pitching for the Marlins to boot, but I just have to hold him.   He looks phenomenal.

His numbers do, but his stuff doesn't have scouts waxing poetic.  I'd rather his success this year be explainable than outta nowhere. 

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Baseball Jonze said:

His numbers do, but his stuff doesn't have scouts waxing poetic.  I'd rather his success this year be explainable than outta nowhere. 

Career Low BB%

Career High K%

Career high GB%

and i saw some people saying he altered his arm slot which is huge for pitchers, not sure if he added a new pitch thought i saw something about that as well

just to name a few things different

There are some things explaining his season to an extent

Edited by kmoore1521

5 minutes ago, kmoore1521 said:

Career Low BB%

Career High K%

Career high GB%

and i saw some people saying he altered his arm slot which is huge for pitchers, not sure if he added a new pitch thought i saw something about that as well

just to name a few things different

There are some things explaining his season to an extent

Yes, but it's easy to understand why some are skeptical based on his pre-2019 career. He wasn't very good in New Orleans in 2018...he was so-so in AA and solid in AAA in 2017. Having picked him up in a 5-year keeper league, I'm hopeful...but not sold just yet. Are the career low BB% and career high K% and GB% sustainable? Or will they begin to drift back towards his previous norms? I don't know. Maybe the arm slot adjustment is all he needed to become a dominant pitcher, but I'm not going to blame anyone for being skeptical, especially when scouts are tripping over their own tongues despite the numbers he's putting up. 

And he's had some pretty drastic home-away splits in New Orleans the last two seasons. 

2 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

Yes, but it's easy to understand why some are skeptical based on his pre-2019 career. He wasn't very good in New Orleans in 2018...he was so-so in AA and solid in AAA in 2017. Having picked him up in a 5-year keeper league, I'm hopeful...but not sold just yet. Are the career low BB% and career high K% and GB% sustainable? Or will they begin to drift back towards his previous norms? I don't know. Maybe the arm slot adjustment is all he needed to become a dominant pitcher, but I'm not going to blame anyone for being skeptical, especially when scouts are tripping over their own tongues despite the numbers he's putting up. 

And he's had some pretty drastic home-away splits in New Orleans the last two seasons. 

Oh yea def reasons for skepticism, i was merely outlining the reasons to believe in him as it sounded from the original post that he didn't think there was anything backing up a breakout, in case he was unaware

• Like 1

Guys,

I would again point you to the article I linked when I began Gallen’s thread. From what I learned, his breakout started last year in the second half. He changed his arm angle then also worked on a cutter in the off-season. For sure you can remain a skeptic but there is an explanation for his success this year.

25 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, BigPapi44 said:

Guys,

I would again point you to the article I linked when I began Gallen’s thread. From what I learned, his breakout started last year in the second half. He changed his arm angle then also worked on a cutter in the off-season. For sure you can remain a skeptic but there is an explanation for his success this year.

I believe enough that I took the plunge in one league...but in the back of my mind, I can't help but want to see longer production to feel secure in that plunge. 

And I wouldn't say his breakout started in the 2nd half of last season...he was marginally better, but better. 

April-June -- 3.47 ERA, 1.49 WHIP, 3.25 BB/9, 8.74 K/9...July-Aug -- 3.91 ERA, 1.43 WHIP, 3.22 BB/9, 9.85 K/9. 

The noticeable jump was in his Ks, while his walks stayed roughly the same. His WHIP was still putrid even though it dropped. I just wouldn't call that the start of a breakout. Now I will add that August saw his bb/9 plummet and his K/9 continue to rise. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

I believe enough that I took the plunge in one league...but in the back of my mind, I can't help but want to see longer production to feel secure in that plunge. 

And I wouldn't say his breakout started in the 2nd half of last season...he was marginally better, but better. 

April-June -- 3.47 ERA, 1.49 WHIP, 3.25 BB/9, 8.74 K/9...July-Aug -- 3.91 ERA, 1.43 WHIP, 3.22 BB/9, 9.85 K/9. 

The noticeable jump was in his Ks, while his walks stayed roughly the same. His WHIP was still putrid even though it dropped. I just wouldn't call that the start of a breakout. Now I will add that August saw his bb/9 plummet and his K/9 continue to rise. 

Sorry if there was any confusion, I said it started in the second half, wasn’t implying his second half was stellar. They began tweaking his arm angle and he started seeing the results, but I think the cutter can not be underplayed either. It’s given him another pitch. Wonder what the swing percentage is for it? In any event I completely understand wanting to see a larger sample.

7IP

4H/1ER

1/BB

6/K

W

(yawn)

Baby Cakes faithful gonna miss this guy when he gets the call

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Hangry Bird said:

7IP

4H/1ER

1/BB

6/K

W

(yawn)

Baby Cakes faithful gonna miss this guy when he gets the call

Agreed, although the way the Marlins are going with him, the faithfuls might still get to enjoy him for a while, especially since Alcantara probably made the team think he still deserves the leash they've given him.

• Like 1

On 4/28/2019 at 9:28 AM, ThreadKiller said:

Doesn’t K a lot of guys either. Plus his FIP being over 4 last year points to the fact that he kicked himself into an ERA barely below 4. Agree to disagree, I have a different definition of “solid” when assessing a pitcher’s value. Urena is a replacement level pitcher IMO.

You think some other team is going trade legit assets for him? Interesting.

Craig Mish of the Swings and Mishes Podcast reports that "several teams" have inquired about Marlins starter Jose Urena.

Maybe a trade can open up spot for Gallen.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cmilne23 said:

Craig Mish of the Swings and Mishes Podcast reports that "several teams" have inquired about Marlins starter Jose Urena.

Maybe a trade can open up spot for Gallen.

I saw that and thought the same thing!  We can hope!

23 minutes ago, AngryBeavers said:

I saw that and thought the same thing!  We can hope!

Do teams generally wait for a trade deadline to do deals like this? Like in basketball? Or is it more spread out over the year?

Urena would make for a nice "enforcer" to a contender lol.

8 hours ago, pushaZ said:

Do teams generally wait for a trade deadline to do deals like this? Like in basketball? Or is it more spread out over the year?

Usually close to the deadline but not always

• Like 1

On 5/27/2019 at 6:53 PM, pushaZ said:

Typically teams wait to see if they are buyers or sellers and that process usually pushes to the deadline. In this case it doesn't matter because everyone knows the Marlins are selling. 

6.2IP, 4H, 1R, 1ER, 2BB, 8K, 106 pitches

The only run came off a homerun in the 7th inning when he was 100 pitches deep.  This man is clearly MLB ready.

• Like 1

how many more starts like this does Gallen have to make in order to get the call? whats holding the marlins back at this point? seems like hes much better than anything theyve got going on at the mlb level. 

23 minutes ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

how many more starts like this does Gallen have to make in order to get the call? whats holding the marlins back at this point?

Money - they are a non-contending, cash strapped franchise and need to delay arbitration eligibility and retain as many years of team control as possible on promising prospects. Zac Gallen is unlikely to bring in much additional revenue (at least not yet), so they have more incentive to hold him down until at least June than most organizations.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dark One said:

Money - they are a non-contending, cash strapped franchise and need to delay arbitration eligibility and retain as many years of team control as possible on promising prospects. Zac Gallen is unlikely to bring in much additional revenue (at least not yet), so they have more incentive to hold him down until at least June than most organizations.

so are we all under the impression that the latest he may be called up is the first week of June?