Sign in to follow this  
dkrocka

Willson Contreras 2019 Outlook

48 minutes ago, Fiveohnine said:

Odd that the #1 catcher in fantasy would sit out the first game after the break. Looks like it's just extra rest though.

I wouldn't look too far into it as I believe Caratini is Yu's personal catcher? could be mistaken though....

1 hour ago, Fiveohnine said:

Odd that the #1 catcher in fantasy would sit out the first game after the break. Looks like it's just extra rest though.

He was in the All-Star game and players playing in that game usually get a day off the first game back or the last game going into the break.  Nothing odd at all.

21 minutes ago, FISH ON said:

I wouldn't look too far into it as I believe Caratini is Yu's personal catcher? could be mistaken though....

Yup - this will be their 4th start together out of Yu's last 6 starts.  No surprise at all.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

He was in the All-Star game and players playing in that game usually get a day off the first game back or the last game going into the break.  Nothing odd at all.

Well, all three other All-Star catchers are catching today and were in the lineup last Sunday as well. But as I said earlier, hopefully it's just rest.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Fiveohnine said:

Well, all three other All-Star catchers are catching today and were in the lineup last Sunday as well. But as I said earlier, hopefully it's just rest.

Depends on managers.  I know that two of the three Red Sox hitters in the game got a day off in second to last game before the break for just that reason. 

He’s a catcher, the position is wearing. 1st thing that goes is the bat bc the legs r worn. Keep him fresh and he will produce. 4-5 starts a week is valuable. He’s deff top 3 catcher right now. 

Isn't this guy making a case to be a bonafide keeper at this point?

1 hour ago, cad300 said:

Isn't this guy making a case to be a bonafide keeper at this point?

He should easily be.  Joe Maddon treats him like he’s Chris Iannetta though.  Another day off today. 

Posted (edited)

welp. it was nice not having to stream catchers

all downhill from here. injuries always ruin catchers

they also traded for a catcher so yea he's in trouble

Edited by FritzLn

Posted (edited)

Club is saying he'll be ready once the 10 days are up but trading for another catcher is not a good sign. Should we be concerned? 

Edited by gbill2004

5 hours ago, gbill2004 said:

Club is saying he'll be ready once the 10 days are up but trading for another catcher is not a good sign. Should we be concerned? 

I am somewhat concerned. D'Arnaud is available in over 97 percent of ESPN leagues so I'm putting in a claim for him with decent FAAB as a hedge in case the injury is worse than they let on. Caratini would be a decent fallback , assuming he gets a lot of playing time during Contreras' absence.

Sounds like what the Cubs are describing is plantar fasciitis. This can be season ending. 

Posted (edited)

It did sound like that. But I'm honestly not as worried as I might've been after hearing he's supposed to be back after the minimum.

Another cheap option to consider is Cam Gallagher. Now that the Cubs have Maldonado, KC should have a lot of ABs available at catcher, since Maldonado was the clear starter there. KC did call up catcher from AA of course.

d'Arnaud is of course a good option if he's available (even better if you already had him last night for the 3 HRs). He seems to be splitting fairly evenly with Zunino though.

Edited by Fiveohnine

I could see Contreras playing some OF to preserve his body rest of season.  

Posted (edited)

Rotowire is reporting he's coming off the IL today, citing the Tribune. Still a few minutes to activate him if you're about to lock at 12:10.

Still the #1 catcher on the player rater even after a full IL stint.

Edited by Fiveohnine
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Baseball Jonze said:

And Cubbies traded away Maldonado.  Caratini gets the load going forward? 

Yeah you are right.  Funny how this stuff happens right after the trade deadline. 

Question.  You can't claim a player off of waivers anymore now but if a player passes through waivers unclaimed and he is a vet who chooses to be a FA rather than be assigned to the minors -- or the team won't even bother assigning him there -- he can be offered a contract by another team, right?  If so Jonathan Lucroy is going through that process right now.  Someone else too but I forget who.

I'd expect either Lucroy or Rene Rivera to be added.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Max Rockatansky said:

Injured, again.

Catchers never get healthy. They only wear down

Is anyone considering dropping him? He's been good but slowed down and yeah, did this last year and also he's a catcher so...

4 hours ago, pushaZ said:

Is anyone considering dropping him? He's been good but slowed down and yeah, did this last year and also he's a catcher so...

I am. Just waiting on the results of his MRI tomorrow.