Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bend the Rules

Dallas McPherson, 3B, FLA

He hit is 24th hr tonight, and Cantu cant play 3rd.. Anyone think a Jacobs trade might happen, and they play Cantu at 1b, and bring up this guy?

He hit is 24th hr tonight, and Cantu cant play 3rd.. Anyone think a Jacobs trade might happen, and they play Cantu at 1b, and bring up this guy?

Lots of power & a solid avg......I know, I know. Problem w/ Mcpherson is that he's turns 28 in a few weeks, he's hitting in the PCL(huge offensive league), and most importantly, he strikes out in 40% of his at bats against AAA pitchers. He'll strike out in 1/2 of his M.L. at bats. If he has a great HR rate(6% of at bats), and a normal BABIP(.310), only a 45% K-rate, and got 550 at bats, his line would look like:

550 ab's .212 33 HR's 247 K's

That K-rate and batting average would put him on any manager's bench, despite high HR production. He's not a great defender either. He's in the minors w/out ever having much of a chance in the bigs because he's always hurt(major back problems).

Cantu or Candoo it's time the Marlins give him another shot in the show. What more can he prove playing with boys?? In his last 15 games his line is.. .404 avg 8 HR 14 RBI, including going yard in 6 straight games, bringing his minor league leading HR total to 27 HR's on the season. How much longer can they keep him down?

Cantu or Candoo it's time the Marlins give him another shot in the show. What more can he prove playing with boys?? In his last 15 games his line is.. .404 avg 8 HR 14 RBI, including going yard in 6 straight games, bringing his minor league leading HR total to 27 HR's on the season. How much longer can they keep him down?

cantu has done well......i don't see a spot for dallas, even though he's earned it......perhaps a trade?

Cantu is a better player. You'd think he'd be an upgrade over Helms...then again, he could just be a younger version of Helms.

Cantu is a better player. You'd think he'd be an upgrade over Helms...then again, he could just be a younger version of Helms.

I know AAA pitching is not the bigs but based on the sick numbers he's putting up moves need to be made to give him a chance. Even id he had Wright ahead of him let alone Cantu he deserves a shot somewhere....

Could be this year's Ankiel or Cust

cantu has done well......i don't see a spot for dallas, even though he's earned it......perhaps a trade?

Mike Jacobs seems like a possible mover.

The Indians seem like a suitor.

UPDATE : McPherson went yard again last night. Thats bombs dropped in 7 consecutive games....

UPDATE : McPherson went yard again last night. Thats bombs dropped in 7 consecutive games....

And 7 is where it stops.

HR number 29 tonight. To say this guy deserves another shot in the bigs is an understatement.

McPherson's range does not play at 2B. McPherson's trade bait to a contender, most likely not in the AL East.

McPherson's range does not play at 2B. McPherson's trade bait to a contender, most likely not in the AL East.

The thinking was if Uggla was hurt for a while, that Cantu would slide over to 2b and McPherson would play 3rd.

The thinking was if Uggla was hurt for a while, that Cantu would slide over to 2b and McPherson would play 3rd.

Isn't Cantu a butcher at 2B?

How about trading Cantu to another team that could use a 1B/DH type, since Jorge's racking up the E's at 3B, too (KC, maybe?). They can then give McPherson a chance to earn the job for '09.

Isn't Cantu a butcher at 2B?

How about trading Cantu to another team that could use a 1B/DH type, since Jorge's racking up the E's at 3B, too (KC, maybe?). They can then give McPherson a chance to earn the job for '09.

That would certainly work. I'd just like to see what Dallas can do at the major league level.

Dodgers...they will always take another player to throw into their mess. B)

i have the oppurtunity to watch him tonite bcz. the round rock/alber. game in on my t.v....

he struck out w/ 2 on in the first

27 Homers is just sick

but

102 K's is more ridiculous...

I dunno what the fish are waiting for... that's exactly what they need in their lineup with Miggy gone.

Striking out at over a 30% clip at Triple-A? Ugh, that is awful. Major League pitching will EAT HIM ALIVE.

Cust is probably a good comparison, but keep in mind that Cust walks a ton to offset that .256 BA last year and the .232 mark this season. I would never own Cust on a fantasy team by choice and the same would apply for anyone that K's at a 30% clip.

I watched this kid closely when he first came up and his swing was L-O-N-G and judging from the huge strikeout rate against minor league pitching, it doesn't look like he has improved it. Fine for the minors, but not so good against Major leaguers.

His power is obviously legit, but that average is a mirage. In the majors, it will be lucky to be in the .250 range and the Marlins know this and that is why there is not a big rush to bring him up. If he had these numbers with a 20% K rate, he would be up.

From looking at a lot of these numbers, it looks like a lot of guys drop about 5-6% on average in K's when they move from AAA to the majors initially, so a 70% contact rate will be more like a 65% rate at the major league level. This is obviously a generalization as not all guys drop. Usually the K guys drop more (Brandon Wood), and the contact guys like Pedroia/Ellsbury (90%) maintain. That means that he would have to have a huge BABIP to hit for a decent average. It took a little while for Ryan Howard's numbers to equalize as his avg. has dropped each year, but he might be the only major leaguer worth owning with that kind of strikeout rate. That is the best thing that McPherson can hope for, but I don't think he has Howard's raw power and even Howard was making better contact at Triple-A than McPherson currently is.