Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bend the Rules

Dallas McPherson, 3B, FLA

He's never really shown anything in the majors. He's never had a year with over a .300 OBP and has K'd at least once a game in his 3 partial seasons up. He's a classic AAAA player. He's too old and good for the minor leagues, but he'd get taken advantage of by major league pitching. He seems to me to be an Adam Dunn type in the minors that forgets to take the walks when he gets to the big leagues.

Still he should be called up or traded to a team that can use him. It's quite a shame. He has always had injury problems and now that he is healthy he is not getting a chance to show what he can do in the majors.

Still he should be called up or traded to a team that can use him. It's quite a shame. He has always had injury problems and now that he is healthy he is not getting a chance to show what he can do in the majors.

I doubt the Marlins are refusing to accept offers on him. Obviously if there is any teams that feel they could use him they're not willing to give up a whole lot. I think it says a lot that the Marlins have Wes Helms on the roster and aren't giving McPherson a look as of yet.

If you want insane AAA numbers look at Nelson Cruz in Oklahoma.

.348 AVG, 37 HR, 93 RBI, 91 R, 24 SB, .443 OBP, .733 SLG, 1.176 OPS!!!

Compare these to McPherson

.297 AVG, 38 HR, 82 RBI, 75 R, 12 SB, .403 OBP, .688 SLG, 1.091 OPS

These dudes are 22 days apart in age. Give them both another chance, although Cruz is by far the better player!

These dudes are 22 days apart in age. Give them both another chance, although Cruz is by far the better player!

Nelson Cruz is definitively a talent. I don't think he will get a chance at Texas, but I think he will do fine if he finds the right place. Look at Quentin's case (I am not comparing them in terms of numbers), when he finally found the right place, the right team he secured his position.

Nelson Cruz is definitively a talent. I don't think he will get a chance at Texas, but I think he will do fine if he finds the right place. Look at Quentin's case (I am not comparing them in terms of numbers), when he finally found the right place, the right team he secured his position.

right on bro!

He's never really shown anything in the majors. He's never had a year with over a .300 OBP and has K'd at least once a game in his 3 partial seasons up. He's a classic AAAA player. He's too old and good for the minor leagues, but he'd get taken advantage of by major league pitching. He seems to me to be an Adam Dunn type in the minors that forgets to take the walks when he gets to the big leagues.

Didn't he get hurt the few times he was up?

He reminds me of Jack Cust.

So, what you're saying is Dallas can crush 4th and 5th starters. How about the Marlins call him up and sit him 3-4 days out of the week.

Brilliant plan.

So, what you're saying is Dallas can crush 4th and 5th starters. How about the Marlins call him up and sit him 3-4 days out of the week.

Brilliant plan.

I think what he's saying is that he deserves a chance. What else can he do in AAA?

I think what he's saying is that he deserves a chance. What else can he do in AAA?

With 120+ strikeouts in less than 100 games, it's fair to say he needs to consider a career in broadcasting.

With 120+ strikeouts in less than 100 games, it's fair to say he needs to consider a career in broadcasting.

So if you strikeout alot you can't play in the bigs you're saying?

So if you strikeout alot you can't play in the bigs you're saying?

"alot" is a relative term. But if you've never had any success in the majors, and you're striking out at least once per game in AAA...

Let me say this as a more solid response to the original question:

"Can he do anymore in AAA?" Yes. He can work on his eye and discipline.

Because Mark Reynolds never strikes out.... Because Ryan Howard doesnt strike out... Or Bobby Bonds never struck out... That was a ridiculous comment.. Geez... Remember Rob Deer??? He either struck out or HR'ed... He was servicable.. For the Marlins not to give him a chance is ridiculous.

"alot" is a relative term. But if you've never had any success in the majors, and you're striking out at least once per game in AAA...

Adam Dunn doesn't strike out either.

Dallas has the strikeout rates of those players in AAA!

AAA is full of 4th and 5th starters. If he can't handle them, how is he going to handle good MLB pitching?

And once again, I maintain my response to the original question:

"Can he do anymore in AAA?" Yes, he can work on his eye and discipline. Can any of you argue with this statement? Can he truly do no more in AAA?

Dallas has the strikeout rates of those players in AAA!

AAA is full of 4th and 5th starters. If he can't handle them, how is he going to handle good MLB pitching?

So there's no quality pitchers in AAA is what you're saying? I think you keep digging the hole deeper and deeper my friend.

So there's no quality pitchers in AAA is what you're saying? I think you keep digging the hole deeper and deeper my friend.

Yes, that's what I'm saying. If they were quality, they'd be in the majors. The only way you can dig a hole is to not answer questions. You keep answering my questions with more questions - tricks are for kids, buddy.

Holy Heck.......Nelson Cruz really has those kind of numbers RIGHT now...THIS year...at TripleA??????? Oh my dear lord. That's first round worthy if he did that in the majors. IS this for real peppy?!?

Yes, that's what I'm saying. If they were quality, they'd be in the majors. The only way you can dig a hole is to not answer questions. You keep answering my questions with more questions - tricks are for kids, buddy.

What did that have to do with anything? If that was your attempt to sound cool... man. No.

I'm saying that if you jack 38 round trippers and have a guy like Wes Helms on the roster, I'd give Dallas a look. In limited at bats when he was called up, he's always been terrible, but I say to make at least a few games out for him to get a look. He's hitting .297 with those SOs and he does walk considerably. I don't want to exactly compare every Major league star in the minors BA, but I will say that if you hit 38 jacks and have a .297 BA? That's worth a look.

I wrote look 3 times. That's awkward.

Hidden
Holy Heck.......Nelson Cruz really has those kind of numbers RIGHT now...THIS year...at TripleA??????? Oh my dear lord. That's first round worthy if he did that in the majors. IS this for real peppy?!?

Ok I guess I can't bring numbers to the table because rollobobo doesn't think they matter. I guess guys having good years in AAA aren't fantasy noteworthy because rollobobo doesn't think it matters. Sorry everyone for bringing up a guy in AAA and wasting your time. I didn't know I would get mocked and made fun of by the great rollobobo. Again sorry to all and Cruz and McPherson suck and those numbers mean nothing because they aren't in the majors, only those numbers matter in fantasy circles.

I don't disagree that he's worth a look. I disagree that he has nothing left to work on in AAA. Anyone who's tried to argue against this point has failed.

Wes Helms clocks in at 5th in defense for 3rd basemen.

McPherson has averaged an error per 10 games played over his Major League career.

With Cantu playing well and Helms happy as a backup, why would they bring up McPherson?

I think it makes more sense to trade McPherson for a middle reliever. Cla Meredith, anyone?

I'm glad Mickey Mantle or Reggie Jackson didn't consider that option.

Only thing I'm comparing is the strikeouts. The guy has not been healthy long enough to really prove himself. Sometime power hitters are late bloomers. We will never know until he gets another chance. Which he will. I have him stashed on my keeper league as well as Cruz. Those guys will win me a title next year!!!!