Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bend the Rules

Dallas McPherson, 3B, FLA

I'm glad Mickey Mantle or Reggie Jackson didn't consider that option.

Only thing I'm comparing is the strikeouts. The guy has not been healthy long enough to really prove himself. Sometime power hitters are late bloomers. We will never know until he gets another chance. Which he will. I have him stashed on my keeper league as well as Cruz. Those guys will win me a title next year!!!!

I love the passion Tribefan, but these guys don't matter from what I was told. If guys are in the minors they stink and shouldn't even be written about on this site. There are no good pitchers in AAA, so you or I could put up the numbers McPherson & Cruz are putting up without a problem. If you do mention guys having good seasons in AAA you will be mocked by some of these great posters on this site, so be careful what you write.

I love the passion Tribefan, but these guys don't matter from what I was told. If guys are in the minors they stink and shouldn't even be written about on this site. There are no good pitchers in AAA, so you or I could put up the numbers McPherson & Cruz are putting up without a problem. If you do mention guys having good seasons in AAA you will be mocked by some of these great posters on this site, so be careful what you write.

Hey Peppy! Are you just being sarcastic here? I hope so. Just in case you're being serious.........................

This IS a 'Minor League' thread.

The best players in the World are in the minors except for that 800 that are in the Show(and many of them don't belong).

I doubt if you could put up those numbers in a slow pitch softball league.

I know you have to be funning me when you say I will be mocked by the great posters on this site.

Bottom line is players like Mac and Cruz are a shot away from being great. An insjury or slump can put them away forever. Baseball is all about taking advantage of opportunitues. Some do and some don't.

Hey Peppy! Are you just being sarcastic here? I hope so. Just in case you're being serious.........................

This IS a 'Minor League' thread.

The best players in the World are in the minors except for that 800 that are in the Show(and many of them don't belong).

I doubt if you could put up those numbers in a slow pitch softball league.

I know you have to be funning me when you say I will be mocked by the great posters on this site.

Bottom line is players like Mac and Cruz are a shot away from being great. An insjury or slump can put them away forever. Baseball is all about taking advantage of opportunitues. Some do and some don't.

Yes I'm being sarcastic Tribefan. I couldn't agree more with you. I'm not as high on McPherson myself, but he does deserve a shot somewhere. The arguments against him being a strikeout machine makes no sense to me when others have mentioned strikeout machines in the bigs. If you have power and can take a walk you have a shot in the bigs, which is exactly what McPherson does. If he strikes out or hits a fly ball out, what difference does it make? An outs an out!

Yes I'm being sarcastic Tribefan. I couldn't agree more with you. I'm not as high on McPherson myself, but he does deserve a shot somewhere. The arguments against him being a strikeout machine makes no sense to me when others have mentioned strikeout machines in the bigs. If you have power and can take a walk you have a shot in the bigs, which is exactly what McPherson does. If he strikes out or hits a fly ball out, what difference does it make? An outs an out!

Nicely said! Glad you were just funnin'

Well, i just dropped Nomar for Dallas in my dynasty league. here's to a call up soon!!!!!!!!!

Can This Guy Play? - Dallas McPherson

I'm a little surprised that a team like the Twins didn't make a play for McPherson at the deadline. I know he's a great insurance policy for the Marlins, but he could be up and helping a contender during the stretch run. Somebody should give him a shot in 2009 and I'd like to see what he can do.

I think Dallas could hit 80-and he wouldn't get called up, he would strike out so much if he got the call.

Dallas has the strikeout rates of those players in AAA!

AAA is full of 4th and 5th starters. If he can't handle them, how is he going to handle good MLB pitching?

And once again, I maintain my response to the original question:

"Can he do anymore in AAA?" Yes, he can work on his eye and discipline. Can any of you argue with this statement? Can he truly do no more in AAA?

McPhearson is a mistake hitter. All pitchers make mistakes, he just has to capitalize on them. That's the main key to hitting good pitching. Very few hitters can hit good pitches from good pitchers on a consistant basis... That's just baseball, always has been and always will be. Sure there are less mistakes made at the major league level but you didn't expec the guy to slug .700 in the majors did you? No, but a .550 slugging wouldn't be out of the question at all.

Besides you face plenty of good pitchers in AAA. There are future aces and future number twos in there. Along with very crafty 4A journeymen that can pitch better than a lot of guys at the major league level but are just older and don't show the upside potential.

The Marlins really need to try and find the guy a spot. At least platoon him at 1B/3B/LF/RF or something along those lines. Luis Gonzalez is washed and Alfredo Amazega should really be in AAA. McPhearson could at least produce what those two have combined to produce in platoon time. With the upside of having mad power, why not give it a shot? Not to mention he could easily out produce Wes Helms and being a lefty why not bring him up? Cody Ross, Willingham, Cantu they are all righties. Luis is the main platoon lefty along with Amezega being a Switch and they have been only average at best thus far.

McPhearson is a mistake hitter. All pitchers make mistakes, he just has to capitalize on them. That's the main key to hitting good pitching. Very few hitters can hit good pitches from good pitchers on a consistant basis... That's just baseball, always has been and always will be. Sure there are less mistakes made at the major league level but you didn't expec the guy to slug .700 in the majors did you? No, but a .550 slugging wouldn't be out of the question at all.

Besides you face plenty of good pitchers in AAA. There are future aces and future number twos in there. Along with very crafty 4A journeymen that can pitch better than a lot of guys at the major league level but are just older and don't show the upside potential.

The Marlins really need to try and find the guy a spot. At least platoon him at 1B/3B/LF/RF or something along those lines. Luis Gonzalez is washed and Alfredo Amazega should really be in AAA. McPhearson could at least produce what those two have combined to produce in platoon time. With the upside of having mad power, why not give it a shot? Not to mention he could easily out produce Wes Helms and being a lefty why not bring him up? Cody Ross, Willingham, Cantu they are all righties. Luis is the main platoon lefty along with Amezega being a Switch and they have been only average at best thus far.

Also a .409 OBP, his eye isn't all that bad. He just swings hard all the time. Think somewhere inbetween Adam Dunn and Jack Cust. More power and average potential than Cust but he won't walk as much. Plus he'd be in a better lineup.

You make some good points. Jacobs and Cantu are doing what Mcpherson would be doing, Hitting Bombs. Left and right field are covered and he can't play center. If you bring him up, you should play him. I would put Hermida in center and bench Ross and put Cantu or Mcpherson in Left. But I don't know them defensively, they may be butchers.

We will just have to wait for his chance.

any news on him? i picked him up in my dynasty league, but i'm wondering if he'll ever get another shot.

any news on him? i picked him up in my dynasty league, but i'm wondering if he'll ever get another shot.

Who knows, but look at the guy's K's, very disturbing.

I think Dallas could hit 80-and he wouldn't get called up, he would strike out so much if he got the call.

I would take 80 HR and 200 Strikeouts!! Who cares how many times he strikes out if he is productive?