Sign in to follow this  
jahweedum

Howie Kendrick 2019 Outlook

Isn’t playing tonight. That’s a bummer. Facing Walker Buehler so expectations would’ve been low but damn you hate to see it. 

Has his role been reduced to just a bench bat and pinch hitter?

13 hours ago, Jub Jub said:

Has his role been reduced to just a bench bat and pinch hitter?

Matt Adams is back. Ryan Zimmerman will make things even more crowded eventually.

Kendrick won't be even close to an everyday player going forward. But he has the chance to play a decent number of games around the diamond (1B, 2B, OF).

Posted (edited)

But man he just keeps hitting.

He's hitting .331/.370/.600 through 146 plate appearances so far this season!!!

Also going back to 2017, Howie Kendrick is hitting .315/.360/.501 in 640 plate appearances.

The Nats need to win ball games, I don't know how they can afford to play Brian Dozier over him until Kendrick shows at least some sign of cooling off.

Edited by ReyesMurphyWright
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, ReyesMurphyWright said:

But man he just keeps hitting.

He's hitting .331/.370/.600 through 146 plate appearances so far this season!!!

Also going back to 2017, Howie Kendrick is hitting .315/.360/.501 in 640 plate appearances.

The Nats need to win ball games, I don't know how they can afford to play Brian Dozier over him until Kendrick shows at least some sign of cooling off.

At least he will make it easier with his utility man status, and the fact that the Nats had built in rest days for maintenance given his injury history. But every time the guy seems to look like he's going to cool off, he goes on another tear. 4 more RBI today. He's outproducing Dozier across the board, and it's not like Zimmerman or Adams are lighting the world on fire when they're on the field either.

I still think he should see starts every 5/7 games, which is still enough time for him to put up numbers. With his injury history, I expect rest days where he is limited to pinch hitting duties, but at the same time I think he's forcing the Nationals hand even with a lot of their regulars coming back.

He's 1B eligible in Fantrax leagues now. He's owned under 40% of leagues, too, which shocked me. I'm enjoying the ride and hope those numbers over 600+ PAs are indicative that it will last.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Sitting again today. That's 2 games in a row now.

For the record:

Kendrick is slashing .293/.352/.554/.906 vs RHP, which is SIGNIFICANTLY better than Dozier and Adams (and Parra too, for that matter).

Also, there's this-

1398603574_Screenshot2019-06-02at11_38_09PM.png.d62063ddc5c712788f2b677375897367.png

Why is this so difficult for Dave Martinez to figure out? Seriously, the dude is raking like nobody's business. I understand rest days are important with this guy, but two days in a row when the next day is also an off day is stupid when he is destroying baseballs.

Edited by Bobby Blue
  • Like 2

Because he will never stay healthy if they push him to play daily...it's a fact. Dude is an awesome hitter but you have to resist putting him in lineup all the time.

On 6/2/2019 at 9:20 AM, Bobby Blue said:

Sitting again today. That's 2 games in a row now.

For the record:

Kendrick is slashing .293/.352/.554/.906 vs RHP, which is SIGNIFICANTLY better than Dozier and Adams (and Parra too, for that matter).

Also, there's this-

1398603574_Screenshot2019-06-02at11_38_09PM.png.d62063ddc5c712788f2b677375897367.png

Why is this so difficult for Dave Martinez to figure out? Seriously, the dude is raking like nobody's business. I understand rest days are important with this guy, but two days in a row when the next day is also an off day is stupid when he is destroying baseballs.

He should be playing close to every day IMO. His Babip is high for his career at 333, but doesn't seem too crazy with how hard he's been hitting the ball. 

I’m pretty sure Howie is the one asking for some of these days off. 

You want to find the most underrated fantasy player this year??? Look no further then to Howie Kendrick. Kendrick is having one of the best seasons of his career at the age of 35. A look at his superficial stats and also underlying metrics points to a player with solid rest of the season value.  Keep chumming Kendrick..

• Like 4

Matt Adams suffered an oblique injury last night which guarantees full time playing time to Kendrick for the foreseeable future.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

He has a 149 WRC+, which puts him ahead of all but 13 players in the league at the moment. He doesn't qualify because he doesn't have enough PAs, but he's pretty close to qualifying. Even with a decent step back, he's still a very good hitter.  980 OPS. His BABIP is in line with his ROS projections, which is hard to believe with his batting average.

Truly underrated this season, especially in points leagues.

Qualifies at 2b in yahoo. It's a dilemma for Altuve owners. When Altuve returns, if Kendrick is still hitting .300...

27 minutes ago, DownSouthWolverine said:

On the bench again after homering.  Nats deserve to lose every single game where he's not in the lineup.  Davey Martinez must really want to be fired.

They want to keep him healthy. I'd say it's for the best. He can't produce for them if he's on the IL

Yeah dude's old. Assuming he's not on PEDs it's not that easy to grind it out. Frustrating yes,but in a daily league you can work around it.

Days of Bonds kicking a** at 40 are gone. Until the next round of PEDs.

Posted (edited)

Just. Keeps. Hitting.

3/4 again today he’s been a stud this year! Still top 10 in xwOBA (7th) too! I’m all aboard the Howie Train [...] 

Edited by tonycpsu
  • Like 1

Not starting either game of the doubleheader.  Getting hard to hold on to this guy.

26 minutes ago, DemOrioles said:

Not starting either game of the doubleheader.  Getting hard to hold on to this guy.

Problem is, there's nobody better on the WW in a lot of leagues.

Posted (edited)

Is he hurt, or do they have a trade pending? Not playing either game seems bizarre.

Edited by AnonymousRob

21 minutes ago, AnonymousRob said:

Is he hurt, or do they have a trade pending? Not playing either game seems bizarre.

Not to mention they haven't had a game since Sunday with the rainouts

• Like 1

Ryan Zimmerman should be starting rehab soon. Yay. More clogging up the playing time.

They should just trade him to an AL team so he can DH somewhere full time. Cleveland sounds good.

14 hours ago, AnonymousRob said:

You're overthinking it. Howie Kendrick entered the season in a bench role and was only able to play every day because of injuries and to some extent because Dozier was really slumping.

His performance indicates that he *should* be an everyday player right now, but unfortunately with the Nats that's not even going to be close to the case and as was mentioned this will only get worse once Ryan Zimmerman comes back (which sounds like it will happen in a couple of weeks).

Even if he entered the season as a bench player how can you justify putting arguably one of the best hitters in the first half on the bench?  DJ Lemahieu was most likely going to have a reduced role at the start of the season before everyone on the Yankees got hurt.  Can you imagine that lineup without him in it now?  Howie is having just as good if not a better season then DJ.  There is no need to run Brian Dozier out there anymore.  I know he has shown some signs of life but he's not even close to the hitter Kendrick is.  If it's a matter of just playing the guy you are paying more money to then it makes sense but if your trying to get back into the NL East race I don't see why you don't play the better player.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1