Fantasy Dork

Hunter Dozier 2019 Outlook

Didn’t see a thread for him, understandably, but he’s been heating up lately and his peripherals look fantastic.

Thoughts?

Posted (edited)

Best K rate of his career, highest exit velocity of his career,highest launch angle of his career, and top 8% in the league in xSLG. BUY BUY BUY!

Edited by Fenamo
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, Fenamo said:

Best K rate of his career, highest exit velocity of his career,highest launch angle of his career, and top 8% in the league in xSLG. BUY BUY BUY!

Any insight as to why the K% improvement? 

• Like 1

Promoted to batting cleanup today.

Hope he doesn't start pressing.

• Haha 1

After diving into some stats looks like hes being WAAAAY more patient at the dish

Chase % way down, swing % down in general, leading to him making career best contact % and seeing more pitches in the zone

might be something to this ya neva know

• Like 1

His zone contact % has increased from decent (88.7%) to elite (95.7%) -- top six in the league right behind that guy Trout.  Up until last week, if my memory serves, he was one of two players not to have swung at a pitch in the zone and missed. 

With that, his discipline has increased dramatically from a  0.22 (K/BB) to 0.56. 

That added with increasing his Exit Velocity 5 MPH to 94.1 and raising his launch angle slightly = the cocktail of elite zone contact % and decent power.

Super alluring to me. 

*SSS but worth a waiver. 

• Like 3

[Game day commentary removed.  Been deleting stuff from a lot of the same screen names lately.  Please take it to the GDT.]

What kind of numbers you guys expecting? Looks like he was only a 230 hitter last year.

Career .770 OPS in the minors. The guy seems like weak trash. 

• Haha 1

Avg hr distance is 433 and avg exit velocity is 93. Even last yr he had a 45% hard hit rate, but he was hitting more groundballs. This year his FB ratio is .7.

Swinging str is down to like 7%. he's chasing less and making more contact with balls in the zone. 

Could be fluky. he was once a 1st round pick, so it's possible he figured something out. I am willing to ride the D train and find out.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, kmoore1521 said:

Any insight as to why the K% improvement? 

I second this question, he dropped k from 28% to 16% and increased iso from .166 to .213 (54PA). Is that fro real?

Former #8 overall pick 

Interesting article from back on the 10th just before this hot streak: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.beyondtheboxscore.com/platform/amp/2019/4/10/18304151/hunter-dozier-kansas-city-royals-statcast-improvement-exit-velocity

I added in 3 leagues but he was already gone in my other 8. If he’s still available in your league, I’d grab him now before he’s gone. Also, from the article him, Franmil, and Winker were the top 3 most unlucky per the metrics at the time of the article. Dozier and Winker are now mashing and Franmil seems to be heating up.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, papasmurf said:

Avg hr distance is 433 and avg exit velocity is 93. Even last yr he had a 45% hard hit rate, but he was hitting more groundballs. This year his FB ratio is .7.

Swinging str is down to like 7%. he's chasing less and making more contact with balls in the zone. 

Could be fluky. he was once a 1st round pick, so it's possible he figured something out. I am willing to ride the D train and find out.

No reason really not to ride it right now and find out.  5 straight multi-hit games now.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Low and Away said:

It is still early but he reminds me of last years Max Muncy with a few more RBI so far.

Good comp.

Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, lazershow said:

On the royals broadcast recently, they were talking about how he gives himself a "hit" for things like a productive out, 8+ pitch AB, certain statcast measurements, in addition to his normal hits, and keeps track of it in a spreadsheet. His goal is to hit over 0.500 on the year given those criteria.

In baseball terms that is what we call a QAB, Quality At-Bat, we did the same in college its a good tool

its a great way to keep a positive head space when the hard hit balls just arent falling, and mentality is everything in this game 

Edited by kmoore1521
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Just now, radioflyer9 said:

Batting 3rd today! 

Not to take away from it or anything, but it's not a huge deal as long as he sticks in the middle of the lineup.  4th like yesterday or 3rd like tonight obviously works for me.

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, KilloWertz said:

Not to take away from it or anything, but it's not a huge deal as long as he sticks in the middle of the lineup.  4th like yesterday or 3rd like tonight obviously works for me.

Not a huge difference but guarantees an AB in the 1st inning which is always fun for fantasy owners.  Hope this guys breakout is for real

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Cool Story
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, kmoore1521 said:

In baseball terms that is what we call a QAB, Quality At-Bat, we did the same in college its a good tool

its a great way to keep a positive head space when the hard hit balls just arent falling, and mentality is everything in this game 

Yep,  focus on the process over outcome in baseball.

36 minutes ago, loro1991 said:

Eno Sarris and Paul Sporer say buy 

All aboard!

Link?