Fantasy Dork

Hunter Dozier 2019 Outlook

Yeah, his hard hit rate is fine, but his FB% in May is 29% (vs. 49% in March/April) and his GB% is at 50% (31% in April). I'm still a believer, but if that trend continues, that would be devastating to his homerun potential. It's a small sample size though, so hopefully it's just a blip. 

1. You guys are going to stress the crap out of yourselves if you read into month to month splits of almost any metric.
  • Like 6
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Slatykamora said:
  1. You guys are going to stress the crap out of yourselves if you read into month to month splits of almost any metric.

Or just drop him...he has no track record so could just be another April one-hit wonder

2 hours ago, Dr. Whom said:

Or just drop him...he has no track record so could just be another April one-hit wonder

He's on the bubble for me, my next drop if there's a better option on the wire. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, jseay65 said:

He's on the bubble for me, my next drop if there's a better option on the wire. 

Likewise...need to see some power as his ba normalizes down to .260 or he gone

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

You guys are way too trigger happy. Especially on a guy who has a better approach this season and elite batted ball data 

Seems like every year I drop a guy too early and he’s a stud the rest of the way - on someone else’s team. 

Dozier could easily be that guy this year 

Edited by street sharks
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, street sharks said:

You guys are way too trigger happy. Especially on a guy who has a better approach this season and elite batted ball data 

Seems like every year I drop a guy too early and he’s a stud the rest of the way - on someone else’s team. 

Dozier could easily be that guy this year 

I'm in agreement with this thought process. true he could be a one month wonder but he deserves a little more leash to see if he can break out of a little regressive funk. 

It's not about dropping him. It's more about whether to bench him now or not.

2 hours ago, Hatfieldodger said:

I'm in agreement with this thought process. true he could be a one month wonder but he deserves a little more leash to see if he can break out of a little regressive funk. 

lets be honest. this season there are about 25 players that fit this mold. Dozier being one along with Vogelbach, Buxton, Devers, Chavis, Soler, LaStella, and the list goes on. you might be able to make the playoffs in your league using just waiver wire players. look at the pitchers. Caleb Smith, Odorizzi, Martin Perez, Jared Eickhoff, ect.

14 minutes ago, mlb2019 said:

lets be honest. this season there are about 25 players that fit this mold. Dozier being one along with Vogelbach, Buxton, Devers, Chavis, Soler, LaStella, and the list goes on. you might be able to make the playoffs in your league using just waiver wire players. look at the pitchers. Caleb Smith, Odorizzi, Martin Perez, Jared Eickhoff, ect.

I don't believe this year is any different than any other year. There's always these unexpected players having good years.

15 minutes ago, hangin n wangin said:

I don't believe this year is any different than any other year. There's always these unexpected players having good years.

my opinion is there are more than there has been in the past and so many right out of the gate.

1 hour ago, mlb2019 said:

my opinion is there are more than there has been in the past and so many right out of the gate.

True...aside from Caleb Smith and Devers, I think all of them will turn into pumpkins soon enough

I owned Albies in a points league last year.  He was a monster 1st half, and simply average the 2nd.  It's about making adjustments all year long.  Risk vs. Reward.  If you are ahead, Dozier stays on your team, if your trailing - depending on your roster - he's trade bait or even droppable.  I believe in him, I just don't believe in his pace

6 for his last 36  with 4 runs and 4 rbi.    Now add the fact that his OPS was .770 something for his minor league career and also add that he wasnt any good last year. 

2 hours ago, jahweedum said:

I owned Albies in a points league last year.  He was a monster 1st half, and simply average the 2nd.  It's about making adjustments all year long.  Risk vs. Reward.  If you are ahead, Dozier stays on your team, if your trailing - depending on your roster - he's trade bait or even droppable.  I believe in him, I just don't believe in his pace

pretty much sums it up. with players like Dozier you got to be looking for the replacement on the waiver wire and watch players to add even with his hot start incase he does go to the toilet.

13 hours ago, mlb2019 said:

Most of those guys can't be hand anymore(at least they shouldn't).... The most recent May breakout guys like Ronny Rodrguez, Hunter Pence, CJ Cron etc etc I don't find nearly as appealing as Dozier going forward.  

Holding but will probably bench for a few days in favor of other guys.

Posted (edited)

It all depends on your league. If you're playing in 12 man 50-100 yahoo leagues Dozier can be dropped depending on your team make up and whats available. Some of these leagues have some really good players on the WW.

I wouldnt be looking to do it but I had to cut him loose in one due to the fact im deep at 1st/3rd and needed what was available. I'm still holding in 5/11 leagues for now but im tempted to get on some of these other guys. In a deeper league or 14man he should never be dropped. 

Edited by buzzkilloton

7 hours ago, buzzkilloton said:

It all depends on your league. If you're playing in 12 man 50-100 yahoo leagues Dozier can be dropped depending on your team make up and whats available. Some of these leagues have some really good players on the WW.

I wouldnt be looking to do it but I had to cut him loose in one due to the fact im deep at 1st/3rd and needed what was available. I'm still holding in 5/11 leagues for now but im tempted to get on some of these other guys. In a deeper league or 14man he should never be dropped. 

Drop? You better have a top 15 guy at his positions because that’s what he’s been so far. 

he could be the 2019 brady Anderson but only for 2 months.

7 hours ago, Stickfig13 said:

Drop? You better have a top 15 guy at his positions because that’s what he’s been so far. 

Cant be afraid to drop. Being afraid is how you lose.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, David Aames said:

Cant be afraid to drop. Being afraid is how you lose.

That's also how you drop people too early and watch them destroy on another person's team. It's not fun :[ 

1 minute ago, street sharks said:

That's also how you drop people too early and watch them destroy on another person's team. It's not fun :[ 

This usually happens when we drop proven players. Not players like Hunter effin Dozier.

1 hour ago, street sharks said:

It can also be why you miss you on a young guy who just got called up or a player whos just now starting a hot streak.