guyhaha

Logan Gilbert - RHP Mariners

There is no prospect that I love more given his price (free agent) in deep dynasty leagues.  Picked him in every league after his first start and couldn’t be more excited.  

Thanks for getting his thread going! I have been meaning to for weeks now...

Stuff looks great in the early going, very exciting pitching prospect.

I'm having a REALLY tough time picking between him and Daniel Lynch. I like Gilbert a lot though, has all the makings of a potential 1/2 if he pans out. 

Promoted up to High-A and the Cal league, should really be a telltale sign of where he's at...

• Like 1

Checking back in on Logan and as of today 8 June hes at A(Adv) doing great with more than a K per Inning. Line reads 2.32 ERA, 31 innings with 40 K's and 6 walks. Nice ratios. Hitter hitting .194. This dude has serious tools and is off the radar in most leagues. I say that because you can get him for not much in trades. GRAB HIM NOW fellas. 

He’s available as well in my dynasty league. Do you rank him ahead of Edward Cabrera or Deivi Garcia?

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, rasto21585 said:

He’s available as well in my dynasty league. Do you rank him ahead of Edward Cabrera or Deivi Garcia?

Gilbert is more of a gurantee to be a starter with his advanced 4 pitch arsenal and plus control. I believe he'll be pitching in the majors sometime next season and has a chance to be elite.

This season Cabreras changeup (3rd pitch) has improved a lot, which improves his chances of remaining a starter and hopefully hitting his ceiling. He looks legit tho this year. 

Garcia, who I LOVE his stuff, is gonna have to prove he can actually maintain a starters workload at his size (5'9). He still hasn't proved he can pitch deep into games and has never pitched more then 74 innings in a season.

Edited by JakeSarna
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, JakeSarna said:

Gilbert is more of a gurantee to be a starter with his advanced 4 pitch arsenal and plus control. I believe he'll be pitching in the majors sometime next season and has a chance to be elite.

This season Cabreras changeup (3rd pitch) has improved a lot, which improves his chances of remaining a starter and hopefully hitting his ceiling. He looks legit tho this year. 

Garcia, who I LOVE his stuff, is gonna have to prove he can actually maintain a starters workload at his size (5'9). He still hasn't proved he can pitch deep into games and has never pitched more then 74 innings in a season.

Thanks for this. There are so many young starters having great years and it's really difficult to rank them in a meaningful way. I would add Balazovic to this list too; Muller is showing his talent. Grayson Rodriguez has come on very strong. Justin Dunn is having a great year.

• Like 1

Logan Gilbert with another phenomenal outing. He is the model of dominant consistency right now in the minors. There aren't a ton of pitching prospects I like more than him, he's severely under-ranked by just about everyone.

64 IP, 2.11 ERA, 0.95 WHIP, 88 K/13 BB between A and High A..

• Like 1

On 6/9/2019 at 7:22 AM, JakeSarna said:

That would be a pretty meteoric rise for a pitcher that’s only in A right now and drafted last year. What’s the confidence level on this statement?

I like Gilbert a lot, but the Ms won't compete till 2021 at the earliest. 2021 is when I expect his ETA.

FYI:  Gilbert was promoted from High-A Modesto to Double-A Arkansas on Monday, Modesto radio broadcaster Keaton Gillogly reports.

Gilbert will be joined in Arkansas by two of the Mariners' other more highly-regarded prospects in right-hander Ljay Newsome and catcher Cal Raleigh. The 22-year-old Gilbert, who began the season in the South Atlantic League before making the jump to High-A, turned in a 1.73 ERA and 1.03 WHIP over his 12 starts with Modesto.

• Thanks 2

16 hours ago, rasto21585 said:

Is he a must own in dynasty formats?

Yes. And I would be shocked if he was available, he should be owned in almost every type of dynasty league. 

Posted (edited)
On 6/9/2019 at 7:22 AM, JakeSarna said:

i read this post couple weeks ago and did not agree with the assessment that gilbert would be up at some point next season but with his promotion to dub A along with his elite control and polish I could see him dominating AA for the rest of the season and starting next season in AAA. hes too advanced. while the cal league isn't what it once was in the days of High Desert and Bakersfield it's still a pitcher's nightmare as long as Lancaster and RC are still around. and Gilbert ate it up. pitchers that basically dominate the Cal league as easy as Gilbert did they tend to put up even better numbers in AA right after their promotions.

i live in Manteca CA. about 15-20 mins away from Modesto. i made it a priority to see Gilbert pitch and just about every start i saw, i watched Gilbert systematically pick apart hitter after hitter with a very advanced 5 pitch mix. while Gilbert is touted for having 2 plus pitches in his fastball and curveball, his slider, changeup and cutter are above average and seemed to be improving from start to start. It's his plus ability to command all his pitches which plays them all up. hes a pitcher who doesn't look like he belongs in the minors.  i really believe that if he didn't pitch in a small school/conference [[[having mono after he was drafted didn't help either]]] they would have debuted him from A advanced from the start.  he was just extremely polished coming out of college. and college draftees with plus control tend to move extremely fast thru the minors. 

i just want to add that the mariners drafted another Logan Gilbert this year in George Kirby. i just love pitchers like Gilbert [[[Kirby]]] and if gilbert stays healthy i have no doubt hell be a staple in all star games along with the potential for CY.

Edited by My Roy Williams Tramp Stam
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

FYI, shelved for the rest of the season. Great debut year for the kid.

"The Mariners are shutting down RHP prospect Logan Gilbert for the remainder of the 2019 season.

Advice: Gilbert was able to throw 135 innings in his first professional season, and to say it went well is an understatement. The 22-year-old posted a 2.13 ERA at three different levels -- 2.88 once promoted to the Texas League -- and he whiffed 165 hitters against 33 walks. Gilbert is the top pitching prospect in the Seattle system, and has a strong chance of making several starts for the Mariners before 2020 comes to an end."

• Like 1