Trench Mob

2019 NBA Playoffs Thread

On 5/27/2019 at 6:10 PM, Gile Pile said:

while we are waiting....

there are fans and there are superfans.

Some quotes from the article:

"He’s been at every single Raptors home game since 1995."

"Every year he spends $300K of his own money to send kids – mostly from brown, immigrant families – to Raptors games."

https://www.bardown.com/appreciation-thread-for-raptors-superfan-nav-bhatia-goes-viral-on-twitter-1.1312126?fbclid=IwAR07Z9taYjJE68fktWiXZHhxrT6MKxeyhG5aE2m2SPdP5EGZ9kO6U8eiUeo

F that guy lmao. Throwing shade at America. 

On 5/27/2019 at 3:15 AM, Jake the snake said:

Giannis had air-balls in all of the last 4 games in the series. Game 3 air ball on a contested jumper in the lane from about the FT line, Game 4 air-ball on FT, Game 5 air-ball on a FT, game 6 air-ball on a floater from about 9ft. The Raptors conned him into believing he had to beat them with shooting in game 6. He may have shot 2 of 5 from deep, but if he is doing that while only scoring 21 pts, it's over. NN coached a heck of a series and made coach bud looking like a simpleton with no alternatives (and Bud once again proved he may just be that - he has no plan B). 

The reason this raptors team is so good is because they can beat you in multiple way. They can run and gun with Kawhi-Siakam-Ibaka-Lowry-Green/OG/Norm/Fred. They can grind you out in the half court with Kawhi-Siakam-Gasol-Lowry-Green/OG/Norm/Fred. They can run Kawhi iso and have him beat you by himself if the help is struggling. And they can pass you off the court with gasol running the offense from the high post with cutters and movement behind the arc. All that while having the best half-court defense in the NBA right now (watch how the close out shooters - it's the best in the NBA), they have the superstar that not only beats you on offense, but shuts down the stud on defense, and their complimentary defenders are all PLUS defenders (and some acclaimed for it). This is the difference between them and the pretenders (Bucks/Rockets), that are trapped in their one systems with no way out. I was actually more impressed by the 76ers than the Bucks, who got worked out and rolled. The 76ers had quite a few variants they could run (PG-Jimmy, High tempo PG Simmons, Running through Embiid), but they just didn't have the shooting in the end (or Kawhi!!!).

A couple of keys to this series for the raptors. Kawhi (nothing more needs to be said). FVV's defense on curry. Watch FVV play incredible defense on Curry. He chases guys around the 3pt line with the best of defenders in the NBA. He has a HUGE role in this series. OG coming back could be a big boost to the raptors, another long wing defender to throw at Durant, Klay and Curry. Siakam coming off two series dealing with extreme length of Embiid and Giannis guarding him, is going to be free'd of that a little, if he can handle the stage he will have a HUGE series (although once Durant is back he'll probably be dealing with him...lol). Danny Green - Raps need a showing from Green - he is WAY overdue. Gasol - Keeping Gasol in this series is a huge thing for the Raptors; GSW is going to try and run him off the floor - but the Bucks tried to do that and it didn't work; Gasol is really smart and keeping a lot of his action in the high post allows him to stay involved in the full court and slow the pace of the opponents.

Y'all know I'm a Raps homer, but the NBA title is coming to the 6ix, closed out in the 6ix, in...7even games! This run just has that Magic to it that the Piston's and Mav's titles did. Keep doubting, we love it! 

So guys for this series. Who would you have guarding who?. Danny Green on Curry? Siakim on Draymond?. I would love to hear your thoughts on this.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, jclee4 said:

So guys for this series. Who would you have guarding who?. Danny Green on Curry? Siakim on Draymond?. I would love to hear your thoughts on this.

we will see.  To start I expect Lowry - Curry,  Green - Thompson, Kawhi - Igoudala, Siakam - Green and Ibaka/Gasol - Looney.   By halftime Raptors should be ahead by 20 points and Cousins ejected

Edited by Gile Pile
  • Like 1

On 5/27/2019 at 9:15 AM, Jake the snake said:

A couple of keys to this series for the raptors. Kawhi (nothing more needs to be said). FVV's defense on curry. Watch FVV play incredible defense on Curry. He chases guys around the 3pt line with the best of defenders in the NBA. He has a HUGE role in this series. OG coming back could be a big boost to the raptors, another long wing defender to throw at Durant, Klay and Curry. Siakam coming off two series dealing with extreme length of Embiid and Giannis guarding him, is going to be free'd of that a little, if he can handle the stage he will have a HUGE series (although once Durant is back he'll probably be dealing with him...lol). Danny Green - Raps need a showing from Green - he is WAY overdue. Gasol - Keeping Gasol in this series is a huge thing for the Raptors; GSW is going to try and run him off the floor - but the Bucks tried to do that and it didn't work; Gasol is really smart and keeping a lot of his action in the high post allows him to stay involved in the full court and slow the pace of the opponents.

Y'all know I'm a Raps homer, but the NBA title is coming to the 6ix, closed out in the 6ix, in...7even games! This run just has that Magic to it that the Piston's and Mav's titles did. Keep doubting, we love it! 

Safe to say these were four of the biggest factors in game 1...
Let's go Raptors!!!

Win 1
Win 2
Win 3
Win 4

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jake the snake said:

Safe to say these were four of the biggest factors in game 1...
Let's go Raptors!!!

Win 1
Win 2
Win 3
Win 4

Are you a scout, bro? I usually just lurk around these forums, but you're always spot on with the Raptors. I know that's your team but major props, you call it everytime with them.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, RedRaider27 said:

Are you a scout, bro? I usually just lurk around these forums, but you're always spot on with the Raptors. I know that's your team but major props, you call it everytime with them.

Scientist actually...lol. The irony if people turn to scientists for basketball and just keep ignoring us on Climate change 🤣

11 minutes ago, Jake the snake said:

Scientist actually...lol. The irony if people turn to scientists for basketball and just keep ignoring us on Climate change 🤣

That's not ironic once you understand human nature.  You see, basketball is fun.  But admitting climate change means changing your lifestyle in unfun ways....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, RedRaider27 said:

He's never wrong about the Raptors, in part due being Canadian, and it being his team I believe.  However, his powers of prognostication apply only to teams north of the border.  It's sort of a s---y superpower: The ability to see the future, but only regarding Canadian sports teams.

1 minute ago, StifleTower2 said:

He's never wrong about the Raptors, in part due being Canadian, and it being his team I believe.  However, his powers of prognostication apply only to teams north of the border.  It's sort of a s---y superpower: The ability to see the future, but only regarding Canadian sports teams.

Only half Canadian...and there is only one Canadian team I care about 🦖 😁

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jake the snake said:

Only half Canadian...and there is only one Canadian team I care about 🦖 😁

Ah so that's the key.  If you were "full Canadian" then you'd be biased.  Being only half Canadian is the super power that allows you to peel back this veneer of reality and behold the blue print of the universe.

So, is it a scientific fact that Raptors will win in 5?

Or is it an "alternative fact"?

1 hour ago, Gile Pile said:

So, is it a scientific fact that Raptors will win in 5?

Or is it an "alternative fact"?

There is no such thing as a scientific fact. Just something that hasn't been proven wrong yet. If we are talking models, remember a lot of analytics models also picked the Raptors to take this series. The "non-science" factors clearly point to the dubs, but I don't think those non-science factors know how to account for an über hungry and experienced Raptors team in their "first" playoffs. I said Raps in 7 and I'll stick to it, but it could be over quicker than that if KD doesn't get back (Warriors clearly need him) as they are struggling for scoring outside of Klay and Steph who the raptors are built to, not shut-down, but "manage"...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jake the snake said:

There is no such thing as a scientific fact. Just something that hasn't been proven wrong yet. If we are talking models, remember a lot of analytics models also picked the Raptors to take this series. The "non-science" factors clearly point to the dubs, but I don't think those non-science factors know how to account for an über hungry and experienced Raptors team in their "first" playoffs. I said Raps in 7 and I'll stick to it, but it could be over quicker than that if KD doesn't get back (Warriors clearly need him) as they are struggling for scoring outside of Klay and Steph who the raptors are built to, not shut-down, but "manage"...

In theory there is such thing as scientia or absolute knowledge.  The problem is, according to the philosopher Karl Popper, that science must be falsifiable. One disconfirming instance disproves a theory but no finite amount of confirming instance proves it.  So you’d have to explore infinite space and time to be absolutely certain of your scientific theory but it’s theoretically possible to have absolute scientific knowledge. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, jclee4 said:

Cousins looked better this game.

😀😀😀

Lots of prayers for Klay's hammy and KLaw's knee? This is shaping up to be an epic slugfest of a finals. Hopefully INJs don't largely determine the winner.

• Like 1

without thompson, looney and kd i see no chance for warriors

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, rando said:

Lots of prayers for Klay's hammy and KLaw's knee? This is shaping up to be an epic slugfest of a finals. Hopefully INJs don't largely determine the winner.

Yeah, it's not going to be the prettiest series ever, but no series with this Raptors team is going to be pretty because they are so good defensively. I mean nobody is going to say the Pistons championships were "pretty", but defense is key. This raptors has it in buckets (and they haven't even had OG all playoffs who is one of their best individual defenders). Lots of the shock-jock media are calling this over, but hey, it's their job to say dumb $hit really loud. This is a real series going on and fun to watch! Let's do it Raptors!

Here is some info on what I have been talking about in terms of FVV vs Steph...THE BEST DEFENDER IN THE NBA ON STEPH!!

Edited by Jake the snake
  • Like 5

On ‎6‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 1:57 AM, DJSatane said:

without thompson, looney and kd i see no chance for warriors

Verified, of course everyone knew this... Now IF durant and thompson return.... toronto better be scared....

49 minutes ago, DJSatane said:

Verified, of course everyone knew this... Now IF durant and thompson return.... toronto better be scared....

Raptors will  be fine.

https://stats.nba.com/players/defense/?sort=DEF_WS&dir=-1&CF=GP*GE*5&Season=2018-19&SeasonType=Playoffs 
In order to find GSW player you need to scroll all the way down to Draymond at 64. Raptors have 8  players ranked higher.

In the finals,  having consistent defense is crucial.  Raptors in 5

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, DJSatane said:

No doubt they are a really good team with KD and Klay in the lineup. But people have been underestimating this raptors team ALL YEAR!! Keep doubting, they, out of all the teams in the NBA, can hang with a full warriors team (can they beat them? Maybe, maybe not, definitely a tough ask, but they definitely wouldn't be embarassed). And they have injury concerns of their own, but of course the US media is totally ignoring those. OG probably can't play because he lost too much weight after his infected appendix surgery, Kawhi is clearly dealing with Knee soreness and quad soreness yet still bangs away for 40mpg, Lowry dislocated his thumb (against the 76ers) and didn't miss a minute as a result and is still in pain from it, Danny green is dealing with hamstring soreness, FVV has hip issues...but Raptors are playing through it and getting it done. It's just US media that needs to make excuses to back up their darlings GSW that are ridiculously over stacked with talent. I mean they played with a multiple league MVP and the best shooter ever (Curry), finals MVP who used to lead his team (Iggy), 2 multiple all-stars (Dray and Boogie; one a defensive player of the year and self titled best defender of all time; FYI Siakam is averaging 20.7 ppg against him), a number 1 draft pick (Bogut), and a really solid role player in Livingston, and the greatest Scandanavian Basketballer of all time (I threw that one in for a joke, but it could be correct...).

It is embarassing how much the raptors continue to get disrespected by the US media...As Chuck D would say:

Image result for don't believe the hype gif

Edited by Jake the snake