Sign in to follow this  
thezing1

Unwritten Rules, Joe West, Tim Anderson, etc. Thread

Hey all, 

I know the Anderson suspension is going to get a lot of emotion and reaction. Let's keep the discussion here about all things related to it and keep the Anderson thread about Anderson and his fantasy stuff this season. I know this isn't a fantasy related thread, so it might just be a short term vent thread...or it might just get deleted in a minute. 

I'm all for allowing players to have more fun, but screaming that much and a Jose Bautista bat-flip in a situation that is not a late-inning, deciding HR in an elimination game, but a mid-inning HR during an afternoon game against the Royals in April deserves a beaning

• Like 1

I’m not mad at Anderson flipping his bat like that. But, if I were Keller, I would have planted one in his ribs, too...as would most of the competitive, prideful guys on this forum. Flipping to his dugout or not, he blatantly showed up Keller. So I don’t blame Keller at all. 

I did notice that at least Mr. Anderson was smart enough not to charge the mound, you know, with 6’5”, 230 Keller there waiting on him and all. Haha!! 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Flyman75 said:

I’m not mad at Anderson flipping his bat like that. But, if I were Keller, I would have planted one in his ribs, too...as would most of the competitive, prideful guys on this forum. Flipping to his dugout or not, he blatantly showed up Keller. So I don’t blame Keller at all. 

I did notice that at least Mr. Anderson was smart enough not to charge the mound, you know, with 6’5”, 230 Keller there waiting on him and all. Haha!! 

Keller showed himself up when he piped the juiciest center cut meatball he had in his arsenal.  He wasn’t mad at the bat flip, he was mad some dude deposited it 400+ feet on his awful pitch.  Pitch better and guys won’t bat flip ya.

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Cmilne23 said:

Keller showed himself up when he piped the juiciest center cut meatball he had in his arsenal.  He wasn’t mad at the bat flip, he was mad some dude deposited it 400+ feet on his awful pitch.  Pitch better and guys won’t bat flip ya.

Easy to say but but completely impractical. Every pitcher gives up homers, no matter how elite they are. 

Just now, ToO_BaD said:

giphy.gif

I think this ones a bit watered down. 

• Like 1

Here is my take. I think the "unwritten" rules get misinterpreted quite a bit. It is like anything that spans generations, they need to be adapted to the current times. All along the way the "unwritten rules" were about respect and what happens when you disrespect someone. 

I think the rules need to be adapted to today's culture and standards and those that oppose that have to kind of fall in line because it isn't about their generation any longer. The line of respect/disrespect is far different with the current generation than 1 or 2 generations ago. I am not saying one is better than the other, they are just different. The only instance I have seen of disrespect so far this season is Derek Dietrich.  Anderson hit a HR and got stoked on it and made his pass around the bases in a timely manner. If Keller didn't like it, pitch better. If Keller is upset, well, you are an adult so deal with it. If Dozier was so upset then he had his chance to act like a "man" when Tim rounded the bases. 

End of the day, baseball is hopeless here. They just don't get the new generation because they don't really want to. They think a pitch clock is the answer. Or taking away a mound visit. At the end of the day it is just sterile compared to other sports.

What's my solution...so glad you asked...My solution is simple. Hockey fight rules. Pitcher wants revenge for disrespect then you can't get a catcher, first and third basemen to tackle a hitter after you bean them. If a batter goes Derek Dietrich on you and you want revenge, then plunk him and throw down if you both agree to throw down and as soon as 1 person is hurt it is over. If a batter knows they were out of line and the bean ball was proper (legs or ribs) then just go to first and the issue is dead. If a batter feels they were beaned on purpose the pitcher can decline the fight if it got away from them and they don't want to fight. This isn't about fighting or assault, this is just about limiting a pitcher's ability to throw 95 at someone with no really repercussions. If there is a feud between players that don't want to fight it will basically turn into a dance off after every hit or out. That isn't the worst outcome. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

Easy to say but but completely impractical. Every pitcher gives up homers, no matter how elite they are. 

It's not. If a pitcher thinks that he's more mad at the bat-flip then his own lack of execution, he's being childish. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, High&Inside said:

Personally, I don't see throwing a baseball at someone standing still as showcasing competitiveness and pride. 

To me it showcases insecurity, lack of confidence, and a lack of belief in your own skill set. The competitive move would have been to attempt to strike out Anderson in the next at bat. 

I can't stand that jawing and bat flipping get treated like it's some new thing.  These supposed old school guys did all this,  and worse,  when they played.  And now act like it's a millennial thing.  There's enough about millennials to complain about,  let's not falsely add to it.  

Should Gibby not have fist pumped vs Eck? The Babe not jawed while allegedly calling his shot? 

I heard Rod Allen complain about it last year.  Same guy chased a pitcher into center field with murder on his mind when he played in Japan.  (An awesomely hilarious video btw) 

Not only is this argument tired and dumb,  it's beyond hypocritical.  

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, abachar said:

I'm all for allowing players to have more fun, but screaming that much and a Jose Bautista bat-flip in a situation that is not a late-inning, deciding HR in an elimination game, but a mid-inning HR during an afternoon game against the Royals in April deserves a beaning

Definition:

"Beanball" is a colloquialism used in baseball, for a ball thrown at an opposing player with the intention of striking them such as to cause harm, often connoting a throw at the player's head (or "bean" in old-fashioned slang). A pitcher who throws beanballs often is known as a "headhunter".

Really?  You want to injure a player for flipping a bat.  Not throwing a bat at you, mind.  Just flipping a bat.  Why?  It makes no sense at all.  Suck it up and strike him out the next time out and quit being a baby.

I love these moments.  Gibby fist pumping Eck.  And Eck did a lot of fist pumping in his day too.  It's fun and good for the game.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, WahooManiac said:

I can't stand that jawing and bat flipping get treated like it's some new thing.  These supposed old school guys did all this,  and worse,  when they played.  And now act like it's a millennial thing.  There's enough about millennials to complain about,  let's not falsely add to it. 

This old vs. new thing is kind of BS, anyway. How old are Jose Urena, Brad Keller, or Chris Archer? The internet tells us this is old people vs. young people when it's not. Joe West didn't throw at Anderson; Keller did. We're just constantly told people belong in demographic camps even when there's tons of overlap.

Edited by Hanghow
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, thezing1 said:

What's my solution...Hockey fight rules.

Yeah. All teams should have a designated fighter, and when a problem such as this occurs, they would fight a pinfall no disqualification cage match.
It would start with Michael Buffer's let's get ready to rumble, while teams would leave the field, and there would be a 2 minute cage fight.

• Like 2

I think there are many reasons for the pitcher to establish the inside part of the plate and to do it aggressively enough that batters will be hit, possibly even intentionally on occasion.

None of those reasons have to do with bat flips or celebrating a homerun or having fun playing the game.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I played sports many many years. I'm as competitive as they come.

In football we used to say "let your pads do the talking".....So pitchers, "let your pitching do the talking", and batters "let your hitting/running/fielding do the talking".  

Sure have some fun, talk some smack if you like. Show boat (respectfully) a little and enjoy it. But earn it and back it up.

110% a pitcher should NEVER throw with the intention of hitting a batter. PERIOD.

Dust him off the plate with an inside pitch....an INSIDE pitch, not an intentional HBP. If you truly miss and hit him, so be it...that's a HBP and it happens from time to time.

my 2 cents

Edited by Members_Only_76
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, urban2014 said:

Tim Anderson didn't do anything wrong. He didn't jaw at anyone he smashed a homer and Keller and Maldonado had their ego's hurt so they decided they should plunk him. If people think its ok to plunk batters because their ego's got hurt maybe it should also be ok for batters to throw their bats at the pitchers.

• Like 2