Sign in to follow this  
thezing1

Unwritten Rules, Joe West, Tim Anderson, etc. Thread

Posted (edited)

Lol at the people comparing Gibson's mild fist pumps around the bases after a walk-off homerun in a WORLD SERIES GAME.  Also, there has always been more leeway given by players for celebrations after walk-offs.

Edited by abachar
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, taobball said:

It's not. If a pitcher thinks that he's more mad at the bat-flip then his own lack of execution, he's being childish. 

Except a pitcher can throw a perfectly pitched ball that gets deposited 400 feet away. It happens. 

Even the best baseball players fail 6x out of 10 for crying out loud.  So the pitcher "wins" 60% of the time against the elite players of the game.  Take walks out of the equation and it' pitchers winning 70% of the time.  Players have 500 AB's a year and a guy like Anderson will hit 15 HR's - and you're not supposed to be excited with an absolute no doubter?  That just might be the best ball he hits all season. 

Keller should strike him out next time.  If he feels "disrespected" then he can bear down and dominate the rest of the game.  An obvious bean ball should be AT LEAST 20 games.  The idea that a pitcher gets 5 games - they don't miss even one start, they have their next scheduled start pushed back one game.  BFD!  Give them 20 games and they're missing three starts at least.  If MLB doesn't treat beanballs seriously then the players won't. 

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

Except a pitcher can throw a perfectly pitched ball that gets deposited 400 feet away. It happens. 

Sure but it’s still not what you should be mad about. I think separating celebration from performance is just a mature thing to do. Letting your emotions be an excuse for everything is childish, and that’s why I call this baseball attitude of beaning and such childish. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, taobball said:

It's not. If a pitcher thinks that he's more mad at the bat-flip then his own lack of execution, he's being childish. 

Didn’t you write you were done posting? 

I love what Keller did he hit Anderson right in the midsection 

Edited by shakestreet
  • Like 2

Like it or not,  pitcher's have always had the ability to hit any batter they want for any reason.   The penalty is either a warning or maybe getting tossed.

Unless baseball wants to increase the penalty,  it will continue to exist.

So flip those bats and yell & scream all you want as long as the batter understands the powers that be don't really care enough to increase the penalties.

Let the kids play!!!

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

Everyone has their mind made up about it and won't change it. 

I've changed my mind over the years. As a matter of fact, I've even thrown at people intentionally during my HS years and wouldn't even consider doing it now. At the MLB level, players getting physically hurt isn't good for the game. Enough injuries happen by accident, we don't need that compounded by some asshat that can't handle his feeling being hurt. 

• Like 2

I find the logic of condoning hitting players with baseballs after a home run or display of emotion to be very concerning.  How many pitchers have gone to the DL with hurt feelings from one of their pitches being crushed?  How many players have gone on the DL from a 90+ MPH baseball hitting a persons body?  Joey Bart just broke his wrist on a HBP this week.  Put that in perspective.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

not trying to argue, but what is your point with this?

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Junkie Cosmonaut said:

I've changed my mind over the years. As a matter of fact, I've even thrown at people intentionally during my HS years and wouldn't even consider doing it now. At the MLB level, players getting physically hurt isn't good for the game. Enough injuries happen by accident, we don't need that compounded by some asshat that can't handle his feeling being hurt. 

Brad Keller was not headhunting ... he threw the ball where he wanted it a perfect place,  I can honestly say his teammates are behind him 100%. Anderson showboated and he got what was coming. 

Edited by shakestreet

3 minutes ago, Junkie Cosmonaut said:

agreed.  I was pitching in a HS game years ago and threw 3 pitches in a row that I thought were all strikes and the ump called them balls. I was fuming and didn't like the guy at the plate so I thought sonofab I'll just hit the guy instead of giving him a walk.  Wel I fractured his elbow.  Never threw at another batter on purpose after that.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Members_Only_76 said:

110% a pitcher should NEVER throw with the intention of hitting a batter. PERIOD.

In general, and at all non professional levels I agree.

At the pro level, I would amend that to read with the intention of injuring rather than hitting. 

I do think there are times, and I fully expect some backlash to this sentiment, where intentionally hitting a guy is acceptable and even makes sense if done appropriately. 

I don't think it's acceptable as payback for a HR or any subsequent celebration.  Keller was 100% in the wrong. 

1 minute ago, shakestreet said:

Brad Keller was not headhunting ... he threw the ball where he wanted it a perfect place,  I can honestly say his teammates are behind him 100%. Anderson showboated and he got what was coming. 

Just because he got it right that time doesn't mean its a foolproof approach. That pitch is 6 inches closer to the plate and TA's hands and wrists are at risk. 6 inches lower and he's jumping out of the way awkwardly and risking injury. It gets too high and it at his head.  

Was it that hard to find or were people playing around 

2 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

Brad Keller was not headhunting ... he threw the ball where he wanted it a perfect place that will I can honestly say his teammates are behind him 100%. Anderson showboated and he got what was coming. 

It makes no difference if he was headhunting or not beaning players for the crappy pitch that he threw is an absolute joke such an outdated way of thinking. I wish one batter would just chuck his bat at the pitcher to make a point MLB needs to lay down bigger suspensions for these pitchers who got their ego's hurt.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

For every Brad Keller who knows where to put the ball (except when he put 90 on a tee for Tim to destroy), there’s a Shane Carle who nearly took Hoskins head off.  Having emotionally charged guys with harmful objects in hands traveling at fast speeds is not good for the game.

Edited by Cmilne23
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Members_Only_76 said:

not trying to argue, but what is your point with this?

No it’s cool. Cmilne said Keller should have thrown a better pitch if he didn’t want Anderson to hit a HR off him. I said it was an impractical statement because every pitcher gives up HRs. Tao responded about a lack of execution. And then I made that statement. So my point was that a pitcher shouldn’t get mad at himself for a HR being hit, because every pitcher gives them up, even on perfect pitches...but Keller had a right to be mad at Anderson for the bat flip. Hope that makes sense, lol. 

30 minutes ago, Junkie Cosmonaut said:

I don't think it's impossible to change ones mind on the issue, but usually the back and forth on this particular debate seems unhelpful from my experience.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

No it’s cool. Cmilne said Keller should have thrown a better pitch if he didn’t want Anderson to hit a HR off him. I said it was an impractical statement because every pitcher gives up HRs. Tao responded about a lack of execution. And then I made that statement. So my point was that a pitcher shouldn’t get mad at himself for a HR being hit, because every pitcher gives them up, even on perfect pitches...but Keller had a right to be mad at Anderson for the bat flip. Hope that makes sense, lol. 

So do hitters have the right to throw projectiles at pitchers if they “show them up”? Shooting arrows, stare downs, pumping fist excessively...why don’t these things deserve bat to the ribs? 

Few things are as cowardly as hitting a batter because your feelings were hurt. Particularly so when there are far more serious repercussions for the hitter than the pitcher. Highly problematic that MLB chooses to avoid injuries at 2nd base and home plate (which are often unpredictable) but essentially advocates for beaning a player as probably the most preventable means of injury.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Junkie Cosmonaut said:

Just because he got it right that time doesn't mean its a foolproof approach. That pitch is 6 inches closer to the plate and TA's hands and wrists are at risk. 6 inches lower and he's jumping out of the way awkwardly and risking injury. It gets too high and it at his head.  

Baseball has always been known as a game of inches. 

A batter gets hit by a ball, it has been happening for years.

Would it make you happy if the batter hit the ball off a tee? 

• Like 1