Sign in to follow this  
thezing1

Unwritten Rules, Joe West, Tim Anderson, etc. Thread

1 minute ago, Snilbog said:

I honestly don't care if guys bat flip or intentionally bean each other.  Nothing was hurt besides a few feelings on both sides   It's all part of baseball in it's own way.  Pretty minor dust up at the end of the day.  

Correct .. if the tables were turn and a Kansas City player did what Tim Anderson did I can bet in the dugout the White Soxplayers would be chatting telling their pitchers next time that player gets up drill him. Players have no problem with what happen but those millennials who believe spanking is a form of abuse and are urged to turn there parents in... want to get rid of the pitcher and have the batter use a tee. 

• Haha 1

Just now, shakestreet said:

Correct .. if the tables were turn and a Kansas City player did what Tim Anderson did I can bet in the dugout the White Soxplayers would be chatting telling their pitchers next time that player gets up drill him. Players have no problem with what happen but those millennials who believe spanking is a form of abuse and are urged to turn there parents in... want to get rid of the pitcher and have the batter use a tee. 

I'm a millennial, nothing to do with it.  It's the boomers that have the problem...proven fact.  

It's almost as if judging individuals based on arbitrary groups they can be assigned to is always a bad, ignorant idea. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, treat88 said:

It's almost as if judging individuals based on arbitrary groups they can be assigned to is always a bad, ignorant idea. 

I'd agree, fights have happened in every sport and every generation for a multitude of stupid reasons.  It's a competition, things get hot.  This was pretty minor in reality.  

• Like 1

That old school respect game...

https://www.mlb.com/yankees/video/the-micks-bat-flips/c-537666183?tid=17396516

Give me a freaking break.  This took me 5 minutes of searching.  We can go crazy and dive into the non bat flip variety too. 

My personal favorite moment of old school respect.  

Let's follow up with the respect driven Rod Allen i mentioned earlier.  

I can do this all day old folks.  Puh-lease. This ain't boy scout camp and it never has been.  Get outta here with this generational blame crap.  

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Josh McCown (NFL qb) had it right in saying: “I get the ‘unwritten rules’ I guess. However it seems super petty getting pissed at a bat flip & in turn inflicting pain in retaliation.Try getting your face ripped off by a DE & watching him dance near you as a DB high steps into the end zone on a pick six. That sucks.”

Baseball players are petty b*****s sometimes. He flipped his bat. WHO CARES? Grow a pair and get him out next time. This “You flipped a bat” or “You watched your hr for a second too long so now I’m going to try to inflict pain by throwing a baseball at you” is absolutely pathetic.

#letthekidsplay

Edited by ThreadKiller
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I came into this thread leaning old school and despising bat flipping acts like TA.  But I have actually changed my opinion, to some extent.

To me it’s simple...

If you bat flip and cheer with your dugout, it’s cool.

If you bat flip and stare down the pitcher, start jawing towards the other dugout, or make a complete spectacle of yourself all the way to first base, you’ve crossed a line and don’t be surprised if your ‘I’m such a badass because I hit a ball a long way” attitude is dealt with.

My NBA analogy...if you have a spectacular dunk over an opponent and you celebrate/posture towards the fans or your teammates...have at it.   If you stand over your opponent or get in his face, that’s the epitome of childishness and you also deserve to be dealt with for trying to make yourself out to be such a badass simply because you slammed a ball through a hoop.  

This is is why hockey is one of the best sports out there (to me at least).  There is a high level of respect amongst the players for each other (generally speaking), it’s an incredibly high contact and physical sport, but if you do something stupid or dangerous you are going to be held accountable for it (yes, I know, this probably won’t be a popular opinion here).  Don’t get me wrong, I’m not a fan of the old school Billy Smith of the Islanders slashing guys for skating in front of him, much prefer the “cleaner” justice nowadays.

• Like 1

Dudes should charge from 1B in a sneak attack rather than have the catcher, 1B and 3B on your a** before you get to the pitcher who is also waiting ready for you.  I mean get beaned and then try to fight 1-on-4(or five) until your dug out gets there or take the base and a couple pitches to the next batter a flying kick to the kidneys outta nowhere.

Or if you're in the NL and an infielder and the pitcher ends up on base - ask him how tough he is then when he'd in the middle of the field with all his back-up in the dugout and half paying attention.

Pitchers always act so bloody tough and bowed up because they know they got the instant numbers advantage.

22 hours ago, jb_power said:

agreed.  I was pitching in a HS game years ago and threw 3 pitches in a row that I thought were all strikes and the ump called them balls. I was fuming and didn't like the guy at the plate so I thought sonofab I'll just hit the guy instead of giving him a walk.  Wel I fractured his elbow.  Never threw at another batter on purpose after that.

That's where you're supposed to have your catcher call a pitch out, then throw one right down the middle that bounces off the plate.... make that ump dance!

Oooops, sorry blue, missed the sign

don't hockey players and football players literally run or skate full speed at a person with the intentions of hitting them as hard as they can probably trying to knock them out every single time they are involved in any kind of play?

2 hours ago, squantos said:

don't hockey players and football players literally run or skate full speed at a person with the intentions of hitting them as hard as they can probably trying to knock them out every single time they are involved in any kind of play?

It is part of their games.  Baseball players don't line up every pitch and go run into each other.  Oranges and apples.