B&F

Gerrit Cole 2019 Outlook

Posted (edited)

"Never start a pitcher at Texas.", "Never start a pitcher at Texas.", "Never start a pitcher at Texas."

Edited by B&F
  • Haha 2

He didn’t have a thread before now?  That’s wild.

• Like 3

We're getting the Pirates version of Cole this year

8 hours ago, B&F said:

"Never start a pitcher at Texas.", "Never start a pitcher at Texas.", "Never start a pitcher at Texas."

Brad Peacock did just fine for me in Texas earlier this year.

I know I've been wrong about Cole so far, but I still say buy low on him.  I know the 5.22 ERA is ugly, but the numbers under the hood don't look bad at all.  He's averaging 13.5 K per 9.  His FIP is 2.79, his xFIP is 2.64, yet somehow his ERA is 5.22.  He's getting absolutely killed by a strand rate of 47% and a .333 BABIP.  

Tipping pitches?!? Nah he and Mchugh just suck

5 minutes ago, Dr. Whom said:

Tipping pitches?!? Nah he and Mchugh just suck

Trade Cole to me if you don't want him.  I've definitely been dead wrong about Cole so far this year, but it's hard to imagine a pitcher with 13.5 K/9, a FIP of 2.79, and an xFIP of 2.64 continuing to be this terrible.

2 hours ago, azeri98 said:

We're getting the Pirates version of Cole this year

No we are not. Cole still has elite K rate. Arlington was a summer time launching pad. Jet stream had to be pumping in that park this weekend

About f*cking time 

Bad luck a bit tonight, has given up two HR, but both are 2-run shots and the guy who reached base before the HR was on via bad luck bloop/weak contact

But still losing at home to the Royals, very disappointing 

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, wahoos1 said:

But still losing at home to the Royals, very disappointing 

Yea... especially because he was in line for the win most of the night.

Edited by hangin n wangin

still in line for the win.

The Ks are fantastic, but Cole is having some trouble with the long ball. It doesnt help that he had a pair of weak singles right before the homeruns too.

I guess what im saying is... Cole is one of, if not the best SP in the game.... but i want him to be better 😛 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NoHablaIngles said:

still in line for the win.

The Ks are fantastic, but Cole is having some trouble with the long ball. It doesnt help that he had a pair of weak singles right before the homeruns too.

I guess what im saying is... Cole is one of, if not the best SP in the game.... but i want him to be better 😛 

Ball is juiced again. 

Just now, bigbluecrew56 said:

Ball is juiced again. 

yeah for sure. that is definitely contributing to his elevated HR rate. But i still think he can be better in that regard

His stats will normalize. He has the second best xFIP in the majors right now at 2.57, just barely trailing Scherzer's 2.53.

The line looks amazing... but it doesnt do him justice. He was sublime today. One hard hit ball which was the homer to Pence (a tough pitch that pence got good wood on a awkward swing). The other three hits were infield, infield (shoulve been an error) and a blooper.

We may be looking at the best pitcher in baseball right here. He's either gotta have better luck on homers or just be even better somehow.

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, NoHablaIngles said:

One hard hit ball which was the homer to Pence (a tough pitch that pence got good wood on a awkward swing).

I'm not sure Hunter Pence has ever taken a swing that wasn't awkward in his entire life.

This guy's stuff is just ridiculously dominant, but I have to say I was surprised to see him so irritated/emotional on the mound constantly in the game.  Has it been an unlucky year or something for him? 

Edited by Overlord

hes been really unlucky this year and hes had his issues (rightfully so) with the umpires strikezone as well

Posted (edited)

And to add insult to injury MLB has him at 6 ER when he actually gave up 5.

Edited by Homer_Erotic

33 minutes ago, Ace_King said:

What's with him and giving up homers this year?

His mechanics are off at the moment.  His lower and upper halves are not in sync and it’s affecting his command and control: arm lag is causing him to miss up and in to righties and then low and outside when he jerks the arm to compensate.

• Thanks 1

I get that he hasn't fully lived up to what people were hoping for but I'm trying to buy right now. The long ball is catching up to him but a K:BB of 112:18 with a K/9 over 14 is pretty nuts. He's struggling and still rated in the top 10 AND he had an xFIP of Something like 2.3-2.4 a week ago (can't find current numbers unfortunately mobile). Sign me up. 

I think the long-ball will be a problem for him all year. The juiced ball is definitely not helping him and he has had issues keeping the ball in the park in the past.

The good thing is that it doesnt matter. Hes still an easy top 10 SP with all those strikeouts. His walk rate is probably due for a little regression but again, doesnt matter... THOSE Ks!!!!