Sign in to follow this  
TTo34

Justin Tucker 2019 Outlook

He has been the best and most reliable kicker in NFL history. And luckily kickers are cheap and age well.

6 minutes ago, devaster said:

He has been the best and most reliable kicker in NFL history. And luckily kickers are cheap and age well.

That's quite a bold statement. Can you quote the stat on which you base it so I can refute you?

2 minutes ago, Boudewijn said:

That's quite a bold statement. Can you quote the stat on which you base it so I can refute you?

Why can't you just refute it?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, devaster said:

That would be too easy.

21 minutes ago, devaster said:

Yeah, I stand corrected, actually. I took a quick look at the stats in Pro Football reference (eg https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2018/kicking.htm) and while Tucker is consistently in the top 10, he's not necessarily the top 1. But when you compare 2016-2018, he actually has both the highest average number of FG made, and he's the only one I could find to score consistently over 90%.

I broke down the kickers in terms of stud games(20+ points), acceptable games(10-19 points), and dud games(9 or less).  The only kicker that makes the positional advantage is Greg the leg, however, he comes with injury risk, tucker is good, but there is not much difference from him and the top 6.  

Same goes for defense too

this may be the first year I do not reach for a kicker and defense

1 hour ago, devaster said:

LOL come on now.

1 hour ago, devaster said:

He has been the best and most reliable kicker in an era of unparalleled central bank involvement. And luckily kickers are cheap and age well.

Why do leagues still include kickers? Its the most skill less FF decision you can make each week. I don't get why people still use them. 

1 hour ago, 1972Miamidolphins said:

I broke down the kickers in terms of stud games(20+ points), acceptable games(10-19 points), and dud games(9 or less).  The only kicker that makes the positional advantage is Greg the leg, however, he comes with injury risk, tucker is good, but there is not much difference from him and the top 6.  

There is never a reason to reach for a kicker or D/ST.

6 minutes ago, Duckbutter said:

Why do leagues still include kickers? Its the most skill less FF decision you can make each week. I don't get why people still use them. 

I don't get why people care if other leagues use kickers. The randomness of them can sometimes be fun/exciting. All other point scored in football are accountted for in fantasy, why not kicks?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1972Miamidolphins said:

If you don't draft a kicker last every year, you are doing it wrong.

38 minutes ago, dmb3684 said:

I don't get why people care if other leagues use kickers. The randomness of them can sometimes be fun/exciting. All other point scored in football are accountted for in fantasy, why not kicks?

Why not just have a randomizer program as your last position and it just picks a number from 1 to 25 each week. It's a position that takes zero skill(fantasy I mean) so whats the point of having some random amount of points added to your total each week. We already take them last in the draft so there is no value to the position. 

I do agree its your league=your rules so I don't really care. I just don't get why we still include them in conversations. 

I feel about the same way with DST. 

12 minutes ago, Duckbutter said:

Why not just have a randomizer program as your last position and it just picks a number from 1 to 25 each week. It's a position that takes zero skill(fantasy I mean) so whats the point of having some random amount of points added to your total each week. We already take them last in the draft so there is no value to the position. 

I do agree its your league=your rules so I don't really care. 

Seems like you do.

You took time out of your day to enter a kicker thread and talk about it.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Duckbutter said:

I do agree its your league=your rules so I don't really care. I just don't get why we still include them in conversations. 

The numbers aren't really random. Kickers generally have a very safe floor. They are consistent and there isn't really much of an advantage from one to the next, hence why the position is picked in the last round of draft and has no value in fantasy.

The TE position in fantasy isn't far off from kickers or defenses. Outside of the top few TE's, there is no real value to the rest of them. They all boom/bust.

18 minutes ago, Duckbutter said:

To be fair, you did decide to enter a kicker thread to have a conversation.  I'm not sure what else you might have expected to be discussing here.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Duckbutter said:

We already take them last in the draft so there is no value to the position. 

I don't think there is NO value to the position. Obviously there is some value to the position; there is just very little correlation between ADP and value throughout the season. But that doesn't mean it's pure random.

FF in general is mostly luck anyway, whoever includes DEF/K is just their preference 

12 hours ago, 1972Miamidolphins said:

You're publicly admitting to reaching for them?  

11 hours ago, theSPANKER said:

You're publicly admitting to reaching for them?  

Most definitely, you have to start one each week, reach up a little and get the positional advantage, risk adverse safe floor reward to land a top,talent in a required start position

2 hours ago, 1972Miamidolphins said:

Most definitely, you have to start one each week, reach up a little and get the positional advantage, risk adverse safe floor reward to land a top,talent in a required start position

Except this never works with Kickers and D. See,  the people that reached for Jags D last year. 

2 hours ago, dmb3684 said:

Except this never works with Kickers and D. See,  the people that reached for Jags D last year. 

The kickers have a pretty good rate of return on the reachable ones, yea, the jags were surprisingly disappointing last year

16 minutes ago, 1972Miamidolphins said:

The kickers have a pretty good rate of return on the reachable ones, yea, the jags were surprisingly disappointing last year

There are top 5 kickers on the wire after the draft every year. You just have to pay attention.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, dmb3684 said:

There are top 5 kickers on the wire after the draft every year. You just have to pay attention.

That's true, I prefer the set and forget process.  I don't like wasting unnecessary moves finding the next gem kicker

Edited by 1972Miamidolphins