Backdoor Slider

Vladimir Guerrero, Jr. 2019 Outlook

Posted (edited)

Jays have the worst offense in the majors ... I didn't fact check but man they stink

New hitting coach is a bum

Edited by LivingOnTheEdge

Posted (edited)

Trout was free his rookie season.  Prospect callups back then weren’t as scruntized.  Vlad Jr was like what a 4th-5th round pick in redraft?  So teams were expecting immediate production.  They’re highly invested in him.  The whole “this guy blew chunks so it’s okay if he does” doesn’t necessarily apply because the price tag is so high.  Will be an interesting case study.  Like I documented early and got absolutely reemed for it (I could still easily be wrong still way early) this is a really bad landing spot for a rookie.  Really horrid lineup filled with bums.  Most other highly prized rookies have had nice landing spots lately.  Senzel immediately slotting behind Votto today.  Meanwhile Vlad sandwiched between a Smoakless Rowdy sandwich.  This kid has enormous pressure also coming in being the junior of a Hall of Fame father.  This isn’t your average callup. Can’t do anything but be patient at this point and hope he gets monkey off back sooner than later with first dong and then can settle in.

Edited by Cmilne23
  • Like 5

this Thread is a joke , of course you dynasty players are going to be fine.

all the redraft players are dumb for cashing in a 4th rounder on him 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, LivingOnTheEdge said:

Jays have the worst offense in the majors ... I didn't fact check but man they stink

New hitting coach is a bum

Feels like every single one of their hitters has gotten worse

I don’t know what they did Teoscar

He used to at least hit the ball hard 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Simsanityy179 said:

I used my 4th pick on Vlad.  I simply built around it. I was planning on waiting, but there happened to be a hole in that round where most the players on my list would still be available later most likely. So I reached. Doesn't make me dumb - then again, I'm not one of the ones whining or crying about his performance thus far

27 minutes ago, Simsanityy179 said:

Said this in the minor league thread a bunch of times. Vlad has an excellent chance of turning it around but I think Acuna and Soto's instant success pushed vlad up higher for people who just play redraft. Jurickson Profar was drafted pretty aggressively (albeit not round 4) the year after Trout/Harper. Sometimes prospects take time.

Pais Desayuno will turn it around.  You just need to be a little more patient.  Give it more than a week or two!

2 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

Said this in the minor league thread a bunch of times. Vlad has an excellent chance of turning it around but I think Acuna and Soto's instant success pushed vlad up higher for people who just play redraft. Jurickson Profar was drafted pretty aggressively (albeit not round 4) the year after Trout/Harper. Sometimes prospects take time.

Or in Profar’s case sometimes they just don’t reach ceiling and become mediocre major leaguers.  He’s also still very young still.  But this far in nearly 1300 MLB at bats he’s a nobody for fantasy owners.

• Like 1

wow he looks like poop. reminds me of a fat bum.

• Like 1

No stick.

1 hour ago, bradwatson said:

It's not explaining away his struggles, it's simply pointing out the fact that even the best players of all time can struggle in their first taste of Major League pitching. Bregman was also really really bad.

You seem mad because you spent a high draft pick on him in a redraft format. That sucks but you should have known the risks in your decision, regardless of what experts said. There has never been and never will be a risk free prospect no matter the hype.

I just don't think there is any merit in pointing that out, because you can point to literally any top prospect in history and there will be similar career paths. Some start out great, and fizzle out. Some are bad to start, and end up great. Some are great from start to finish, and some never get going at all. Vlad could still be any one of these. So I guess I agree with your statement, but to say that now just feels like an excuse.

• Like 2

Mickey Mantle was disaster when he first came up. So bad that he thought about quitting baseball. We all know how that turned out...

14 minutes ago, kev_k44 said:

Mickey Mantle was disaster when he first came up. So bad that he thought about quitting baseball. We all know how that turned out...

Vlad’s an alcoholic?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, BMcP said:

Vlad’s an alcoholic?

Could be...he is slightly overweight lol

If the manager had any sense, he would move him up in the lineup to try to jumpstart him.

wild, i know

57 minutes ago, crotchcrickets said:

If the manager had any sense, he would move him up in the lineup to try to jumpstart him.

wild, i know

You should see one of his interviews.  He looks like the most clueless man in all of professional sports 

Making a list of all the names here with the absurd "this guy's a bust" takes so I ignore them everywhere else.

22 minutes ago, sportsfreak2744 said:

Making a list of all the names here with the absurd "this guy's a bust" takes so I ignore them everywhere else.

If theyre right will you post the list and admit their superiority?

Dude hasnt lived up to hype. 

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, sportsfreak2744 said:

He was a 4th-5th round pick in re-draft. He wont steal bags and its been over a month of zero production. He needs to basically do what Goldy and Carpenter did last year to get solid ROI at this point.  Acuna didn't turn it up until the 2nd half...but he could steal bags wasn't drafted as high.

Don't think any of the dynasty owners are harping on him, are they?

11 minutes ago, itslarry said:

If theyre right will you post the list and admit their superiority?

Dude hasnt lived up to hype. 

It has been 37 plate appearances.  Welcome to the list.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Slatykamora said:

He was a 4th-5th round pick in re-draft. He wont steal bags and its been over a month of zero production. He needs to basically do what Goldy and Carpenter did last year to get solid ROI at this point.  Acuna didn't turn it up until the 2nd half...but he could steal bags wasn't drafted as high.

Don't think any of the dynasty owners are harping on him, are they?

He was called up 4/26.  It's May 7th.  Over a month?

Once things click, they will click. It’s only a matter of time and all it takes is that moment of clarity one day when the the ball starts looking like a beach ball. I have 0 shares of him and honestly don’t see how a 20 year old with that big of a body already will hold up over the long run.  He is going to really have to work hard and eat right throughout his career to be in tip top shape. But the dude is a hitter and is going to hit. Patience. 

It doesn't get much easier for him today against Berrios.  But next two weeks after that....

Dylan Covey x2

Ivan Nova x2

Lucas Giolito x2

Reynaldo Lopez

Kyle Gibson

Derek Holland

Dereck Rodriguez

If he doesn't produce against those arms then I'll agree something isn't quite right yet.

• Like 2