Backdoor Slider

Vladimir Guerrero, Jr. 2019 Outlook

1 minute ago, sportsfreak2744 said:

This is why I love these boards!  Vladdy Jr makes it to the majors a little over 20 years old after putting up a .331/.413/.531 in the minors but you think there's an issue with his swing/launch angle.

Hilarious!

How else do you explain the low angle? Obviously vladdy is not ready for the show and should never have been called up if he was going to mess his swing up this bad

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, sportsfreak2744 said:

This is why I love these boards!  Vladdy Jr makes it to the majors a little over 20 years old after putting up a .331/.413/.531 in the minors but you think there's an issue with his swing/launch angle.

Hilarious!

He has a 1.7 degree launch angle. Passive aggressive snide commentary aside, if you think that's fine then it's clear we have significantly differing standards.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AnonymousRob said:

He has a 1.7 degree launch angle. Passive aggressive snide commentary aside, if you think that's fine then it's clear we have significantly differing standards.

Are you concluding that there is an issue with his swing because of the launch angle of the 35 balls he has put in play thus far, yes or no?  

3 minutes ago, mlb2019 said:

discouraging but still very early. 

As I said a few pages ago when discussing his numbers, I'm not worried and would be buying in any dynasty if his owner is selling. I definitely think he'll turn it around and I'm not worried long term, but there are immediate reasons for concern.

5 minutes ago, sportsfreak2744 said:

Are you concluding that there is an issue with his swing because of the launch angle of the 35 balls he has put in play thus far, yes or no?  

40 minutes ago, AnonymousRob said:

A 70+% ground ball rate with his abysmal launch angle points to an issue with his swing. Maybe it's as simple as swinging at too much junk, but there's a problem here.

I'll be happy to clarify. Which part did you not understand?

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, AnonymousRob said:

I'll be happy to clarify. Which part did you not understand?

I didn't understand how anyone could conclude that Vlad Jr has an issue with his swing.  I wanted to give you the benefit of the doubt and that's why I asked again but you own this scorching hot take now.

Edited by sportsfreak2744
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, sportsfreak2744 said:

I didn't understand how could conclude that Vlad Jr has an issue with his swing.  I wanted to give you the benefit of the doubt and that's why I asked again but you own this scorching hot take now.

When you're getting bad results it's because of one of two things. Bad luck or bad swings. He's getting unlucky, but the peripherals are showing luck isn't the biggest problem. So the issue is then his swing. A problem with your swing doesn't need some major overhaul like Buxton kept doing. It might be the smallest of adjustments, like swinging less, or laying off certain pitches, etc. It's perfectly normal for this to happen to a player throughout the season. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, AnonymousRob said:

When you're getting bad results it's because of one of two things. Bad luck or bad swings. He's getting unlucky, but the peripherals are showing luck isn't the biggest problem. So the issue is then his swing. A problem with your swing doesn't need some major overhaul like Buxton kept doing. It might be the smallest of adjustments, like swinging less, or laying off certain pitches, etc. It's perfectly normal for this to happen to a player throughout the season. 

False dichotomy.  It's still far too small a sample size (35 balls in play) and as I pointed out about a page back he's seeing 10% fewer pitches in the zone than '04 Barry Bonds did.  Hard to put good swings on the ball when they're mostly outside the zone.  He'll just need to be more patient and wait for pitches in the zone, and he's shown signs of that with 3 of his 4 walks coming in his past few games.

EDIT:  OK, I see now that you have a different meaning for "issues with his swing" and discussing launch angle than I do.  When I read those things, I'm used to it being a conversation about a player needing to retool his bat path or change his mechanics, etc.  I was thinking you were making extreme conclusions.

Edited by sportsfreak2744

Just now, sportsfreak2744 said:

False dichotomy.  It's still far too small a sample size (35 balls in play) and as I pointed out about a page back he's seeing 10% fewer pitches in the zone than '04 Barry Bonds did.  Hard to put good swings on the ball when they're mostly outside the zone.  He'll just need to be more patient and wait for pitches in the zone, and he's shown signs of that with 3 of his 4 walks coming in his past few games.

Sounds like we're basically saying the same thing. A guy changing what he does or doesn't swing at is something that falls on the spectrum of a swing change. It's on the lower end, but it's a change nonetheless.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Im over the high expectations not being met. Boo hoo for us. Ill take a slow start over a kieboom fade off demotion any day. Its only a matter of time. Once the octagon jitters are out of the way he will mash for two decades.

Edited by tekashi26ix
Grammer
  • Like 1

I guess I see it more of a pitch selection/recognition  issue, not a swing issue. He's chasing pitchers' pitches out of the zone, which I have to admit IS impacting his swing, but to me that's not a swing thing, it's more an eye thing. I mean, chasing off speed stuff fading out of the zone and low, you're not going to be able to use that launch angle to get the ball in the air. He'll need to work more with his pops for that, and that'll take time. When he does settle the butterflies, I'm sure we'll see what others saw down on the farm, fingers' crossed as I passed on some good deals for him in my dynasty..

If he gets to face Samardzija this series you can pretty much guarantee he will get his first home run

2 hours ago, Random Dude said:

Mike Trout had a problem with his swing when he first came up too. Lol....

Yea then he went back to the minors and figured it out.  You're basically taking AnonymousRob's side with that response lol....

13 minutes ago, IDGAFOS said:

Yea then he went back to the minors and figured it out.  You're basically taking AnonymousRob's side with that response lol....

I don't believe they sent him down to work on his swing.  He started his 2nd season in the minors due to either time control worries or roster fit.  It wasn't like they sent him back down in the middle of the season

6 hours ago, tekashi26ix said:

Im over the high expectations not being met. Boo hoo for us. Ill take a slow start over a kieboom fade off demotion any day. Its only a matter of time. Once the octagon jitters are out of the way he will mash for two decades.

7299 more days of MASHING. 

On 5/12/2019 at 9:43 AM, buzzkilloton said:

This is going to be the last time you can buy him low all season. 

Hope everybody bought some! 

Posted (edited)

That door on buy low slammed shut HARD tonight!

Edited by jahweedum

2D6058A6-6847-41AB-AE1F-65BEBE02CFF8.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3