Backdoor Slider

Vladimir Guerrero, Jr. 2019 Outlook

.318 86 42 88 (if the team didn’t suck so much... so multiply by .92 and you have his season totals w/ a ROY trophy.) 

Take that to the bank... you know which one. 

• Haha 1

Idk where this fits, but it’s pure truth. 

When I played ball in the 90’s, I had a buddy named (J-Dub). He wasn’t the physique, looked a lot like Vald Jr. 

Now he could just hit. Just like Vlad Sr. he’d make up his mind before the pitch that he was going to swing, ... and it was so. Ball in the dirt? He’d hit it off the bounce. Ball in his eyes? He’d Stroke the s--- w/ some forehand jizz through the 5-6 hole. I kid you not, my buddy hit .600 on horrible pitches. All these years later, we laugh and try to figure out how he did it. 

Long short, Vlad Jr. has that knack for just barreling up the ball. His eye and #’s back up that fact more-so than his father... who was ******** amazing in fantasy... he’s going to be special. It’s in his blood, he’s going to defy your eyes and rise to the occasion. Scouts have said he’s the highest ranked prospect ever... 

marinate on that.   

• Like 4

Can’t wait. I’m ready for some next level performance. 

I drafted him in the 4th round .. just because I remember how exciting it was owning Harper when he debuted against Hamels. The bean, the steal of home.  It's the potential story that turns into a legend - but Harper has some work to do for that.

Can't wait to see what Vlad does, how the crowd reacts, and if any of the players do.  Also - where can I place a bet on this outlook post having the most comments on it by the end of the season?

Posted (edited)

Remember folks some of best players to ever play this game have come up to this level and got humbled.  He has an absolute atrocious supporting cast filled with horrific losers.  There’s a lot to like here but he isn’t exactly coming into Juan Soto landing territory surrounded by Bryce Harper and Anthony Rendon, 2 hall of fame level hit tool talents.  Acuna had a ton of hitting talent around him.  Vlad Jr, he has just absolute s*** bag bums all around him.  How that will factor in will be determined.

Edited by Cmilne23
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

Remember folks some of best players to ever play this game have come up to this level and got humbled.  He has an absolute atrocious supporting cast filled with horrific losers.  There’s a lot to like here but he isn’t exactly coming into Juan Soto landing territory surrounded by Bryce Harper and Anthony Rendon, 2 hall of fame level hit tool talents.  Acuna had a ton of hitting talent around him.  Vlad Jr, he has just absolute s*** bag bums all around him.  How that will factor in will be determined.

Smoak and Galvis have held their own.

49 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

Dude doesn't hit singles he hit BOMBS ... who cares if he plays with bums ?

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, nlm said:

Smoak and Galvis have held their own.

Nobody in the league spends more than 20 seconds breaking down tape of 2 dudes who’ve been scrub level for most of careers.  Having nice years, yes, in reality they’re aren’t a supporting cast worth mentioning.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, LivingOnTheEdge said:

Dude doesn't hit singles he hit BOMBS ... who cares if he plays with bums ?

We shall see.  Hitting bombs off milb arms is much different than hitting bombs off mlb arms.  He’s still young, he’s on a horrid club.  These situations often aren’t ideal immediate landing spots.  Will be fun to see though.  Hope he crushes.

Edited by Cmilne23

Anybody worried about this guys body. Hope I am wrong but could be a few double cheeseburgers away from Bartolo Colon.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Cmilne23 said:

We shall see.  Hitting bombs off milb arms is much different than hitting bombs off mlb arms.  He’s still young, he’s on a horrid club.  These situations often aren’t ideal immediate landing spots.  Will be fun to see though.  Hope he crushes.

If Pete Alonso did it straight out of the gate with way more question marks Vlad will sure as hell not dissapoint!

Edited by LivingOnTheEdge

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, LivingOnTheEdge said:

If Pete Alonso did it straight out of the gate with way more question marks Vlad will sure as hell not dissapoint!

Mets have multiple legit major leaguers around him.  Conforto is a stud, Cano is borderline Hall of famer at this point.  Mets 5th in runs per game average.  Blue Jays near the bottom.  There’s no positive angle to take here with supporting cast.  It’s an absolute awful lineup, it’s filled with horrific losers.  If he overcomes this in 2019 he’s a legend.  But doesn’t change the fact that everyone around him is a total scrub.

Edited by Cmilne23

3 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

Mets have multiple legit major leaguers around him.  Conforto is a stud, Cano is borderline Hall of famer at this point.  Mets 5th in runs per game average.  Blue Jays near the bottom.  There’s no positive angle to take here with supporting cast.  It’s an absolute awful lineup, it’s filled with horrific losers.  If he overcomes this in 2019 he’s a legend.  But doesn’t change the fact that everyone around him is a total scrub.

I agree it will affect his run production and overall line to an extend but it won't affect his launch angle, exit velocity, eyes at the plates ect ... Dude is a One Man Show!

Posted (edited)

Any word on where he’s going to hit in the lineup? Gotta be 3rd, right?  I wouldn’t put it past the Blue Jays to have him hit 6th for a few years until he “adjusts to major league pitching.”

Edited by Von Hayes

13 minutes ago, smeeze said:

I see his physique hasn't changed.

• Haha 4

10 hours ago, LarryChip10 said:

.318 86 42 88 (if the team didn’t suck so much... so multiply by .92 and you have his season totals w/ a ROY trophy.) 

Take that to the bank... you know which one. 

42 HR (or 38 if you're using 92%) to the bank in his rookie season? pretty high expectations...

9 hours ago, Cmilne23 said:

Great take.. Not. Since he will be surrounded by MLB players instead of scrub minor league players where he has been lighting it up I would think it’s a lineup upgrade for him. And if the Jays have such scrubs how have they won or been in any games. I don’t think every non all star player is a scrub. Vlad is going to Vlad it up regardless of where he is or who he’s with. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Cmilne23 said:

I don't see how your first sentence is supported by the rest of your take.  A player can either be humbled or get theirs regardless of who else is on the team.  Perhaps runs and RBIs can be influenced by what is around you, but if you are a good hitter you're a good hitter - period.  

I'm expecting an Albert Pujols level rookie season. Grats to everyone who owns him whos about to win their leagues! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, ToO_BaD said:

I don't see how your first sentence is supported by the rest of your take.  A player can either be humbled or get theirs regardless of who else is on the team.  Perhaps runs and RBIs can be influenced by what is around you, but if you are a good hitter you're a good hitter - period.  

It will be an interesting test.  A lot of the more prestigious rookie seasons lately the players have had outstanding supporting casts.  Could be from having less pressure to produce, more guidance from actual talent.  I mean do we really want Randall Grichuk and Teoscar Hernandez to take him under their wing and show him what’s its like to be a major league windmill?  Maybe I’m overthinking it.  All I’m saying is that I’ll be curious to see what level of production he can achieve early in an ugly lineup.  

1 minute ago, Cmilne23 said:

It will be an interesting test.  A lot of the more prestigious rookie seasons lately the players have had outstanding supporting casts.  Could be from having less pressure to produce, more guidance from actual talent.  I mean do we really want Randall Grichuk and Teoscar Hernandez to take him under their wing and show him what’s its like to be a major league windmill?  Maybe I’m overthinking it.  All I’m saying is that I’ll be curious to see what level of production he can achieve early in an ugly lineup.  

Yea, you're overthinking it.  He's not going to suddenly follow Grichuk and Teoscar's advice.  His dad is Vladimir Guerrero.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1