Backdoor Slider

Vladimir Guerrero, Jr. 2019 Outlook

So he's now to the point where we don't even comment on his majestic bombs? I like it. Bonafide stud.

Have all of his homers been to dead center? I can't imagine what will happen when he starts pulling them more.

• Like 1

Tripped out of the box and looked to twist an ankle or something during his 3rd AB. Stayed in the game after looking a little gimpy. Manager said he taped it up and was fine after that but something to monitor... this is my major concern with him. Even at 20 I feel like he's going to struggle to stay healthy with that physique. 

50 minutes ago, bradwatson said:

So he's now to the point where we don't even comment on his majestic bombs? I like it. Bonafide stud.

Have all of his homers been to dead center? I can't imagine what will happen when he starts pulling them more.

Just another day at the office for Vladdy.

Sad times for the haters who were scared to invest a 4th-5th round pick on him.

SSS, cherry-picking, etc. caveat:

last 14 days: .333/.404/.714, 5HR, 8R, 10RBI, 10%BB, 8%K, 193 wRC+ (10th best in the MLB during this time period)

Edited by osb_tensor
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, absknicks said:

Tripped out of the box and looked to twist an ankle or something during his 3rd AB. Stayed in the game after looking a little gimpy. Manager said he taped it up and was fine after that but something to monitor... this is my major concern with him. Even at 20 I feel like he's going to struggle to stay healthy with that physique. 

For sure. But being able to use the DH will help a lot.

10 hours ago, absknicks said:

I think he'll be fine until he's not.

Like Prince Fielder.

Agreed that I don't see him in his prime in his late 30s or even mid 30s at that matter.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, pushaZ said:

I think he'll be fine until he's not.

Like Prince Fielder. 

Agreed that I don't see him in his prime in his late 30s or even mid 30s at that matter.

Unsure why Prince Fielders weight has anything to do with Vlad's.  Prince Fielder had a 547 consecutive game streak and had his career cut short do to a neck injury.  I'm not a doctor but I don't think his weight had anything to do with it.  Similar to Peyton Manning, where weight was not an issue.  Injuries happen to ALL professional athletes.  Claiming a 20 year old is going to have injury issues because he's not "skinny" seems like a stretch.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'm all for fat shaming - I've joked on here too... But the Vlad weight concerns are overblown on here. There will be BSOHL reports like Devers in the next few years - you watch.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, kelle1sa said:

Unsure why Prince Fielders weight has anything to do with Vlad's.  Prince Fielder had a 547 consecutive game streak and had his career cut short do to a neck injury.  I'm not a doctor but I don't think his weight had anything to do with it.  Similar to Peyton Manning, where weight was not an issue.  Injuries happen to ALL professional athletes.  Claiming a 20 year old is going to have injury issues because he's not "skinny" seems like a stretch.

1 hour ago, bradwatson said:

I'm all for fat shaming - I've joked on here too... But the Vlad weight concerns are overblown on here. There will be BSOHL reports like Devers in the next few years - you watch.

Vlad has some extra weight in the midsection, but his quads and backside look like he could squat a small house for fun.  He just turned 20, I think we're about a decade away from any of these weight-related concerns coming true.  

• Like 2

i searched this specific topic and didn't find that it had already been mentioned, but apologies if it has..

according to statcast, vlad owns the 2nd and 13th hardest hit balls of the season, 118.9 and 115.5 mph, respectively. 

he's not at the top of any statcast leaderboards for the various stats related to average/percentage of well hit balls, but i've got a feeling it's coming. the power is there, and the results have been trending upward. the biggest negative so far has been launch angle, which is currently at 7 degrees for the season. this is pretty low and hanging around with guys like chad pinder and nick markakis. judging by the below graphic, i've got a feeling this is in the process of improving.

edit: obviously the rolling sample of 50 has only recently been reached and couple of hot games can skew what the overall line will look like with more batted balls, but its nice to see improvement.

image.thumb.png.0eb20aac82fa992bca5e1b0656100ce8.png

Edited by osb_tensor
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

0-fer since twisting his ankle coming out of the box the other night

16 minutes ago, absknicks said:

0-fer since twisting his ankle coming out of the box the other night

That's 0-11.  I mean you are right with the facts, but are you thinking there's a correlation there? 

• Thanks 1

On 5/23/2019 at 10:53 AM, osb_tensor said:

according to statcast, vlad owns the 2nd and 13th hardest hit balls of the season, 118.9 and 115.5 mph, respectively. 

Fwiw there is some predictive value in how hard someone hits the ball. I can't recall where I read it (probably pitcherlist or fangraphs), but batted balls with a high exit velocity (I think it was 110+ mph?) are slightly predictive of future production. Maybe someone else recalls the article and can share it. I'm still relatively cool on his redraft value but he's shaping up to be a long term star. 

22 minutes ago, treat88 said:

That's 0-11.  I mean you are right with the facts, but are you thinking there's a correlation there? 

Yeah, although I’m hoping I’m wrong. He was on fire prior to doing that.