Backdoor Slider

Vladimir Guerrero, Jr. 2019 Outlook

It’s going to be interested to see if the Astros sit Yordan Alvarez every 4.3 days like the Blue Jays have Vlad. Any time he’s gotten hot it’s been day off. By the great Charlie Montoya

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, mevins31 said:

It’s going to be interested to see if the Astros sit Yordan Alvarez every 4.3 days like the Blue Jays have Vlad. Any time he’s gotten hot it’s been day off. By the great Charlie Montoya

He took a 96 mph fastball to the hand, any sane manager would have given him a day off after that.

But I'm sure you know better than this Charlie "Montoya" guy you keep referring to...

5 hours ago, largeshot said:

He took a 96 mph fastball to the hand, any sane manager would have given him a day off after that.

But I'm sure you know better than this Charlie "Montoya" guy you keep referring to...

I'm ok with sitting him after he takes one off the hand. No issue. The scheduled rest days every time he gets hot for no reason is stupidity. 

Watch Toronto for a couple weeks - then report back. One of the most non-competitive teams I've seen in a decade. They show up and barely even give a whimper most nights. Completely flat, play the game wrong. And this Montoyo idiot is sitting their rookie every 8 or 9 games, not allowing him to get in a rhythm. Montoyo is the NFL first-year head coach that goes 1-15. He needs canned.

It's a fact. Toronto is putting a bad product on the field and Montoyo is sitting the only draw in that lineup far too regularly to justify anyone buying a ticket in advance. 

Vlad is on the bench every 5th game or so with no rhyme or reason. Good game, bad game, stud pitcher, or bum.  Doesn't matter, the only consistent variable is his bad manager. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, treat88 said:

It's a fact. Toronto is putting a bad product on the field and Montoyo is sitting the only draw in that lineup far too regularly to justify anyone buying a ticket in advance. 

Vlad is on the bench every 5th game or so with no rhyme or reason. Good game, bad game, stud pitcher, or bum.  Doesn't matter, the only consistent variable is his bad manager. 

Thank you. Thank you.... not sure if you are a local there. But I've paid close attention to them for other reasons and you said it to a 'T'. Have friends in Ontario who have said the same as you. Sitting him in front of home crowd, etc. 

I am very concerned with their ability to develop the guy at the MLB level. They're actually bad enough to flop this, and have so far. This is the Cleveland Browns of MLB righ tnow.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I own the kid and have no worries, but its a keeper league and I've got time. While I don't follow TOR closely, I've read enough comments to believe the manager is in over his head, the hitting coach seems to suck given the teams overall numbers, yada yada. While I'm not remotely concerned w/ Vladdy, I am concerned that this inferred "ineptness" overall from the coaching staff will be detrimental to all the quality youth currently on the team and in their near future. The entire starting lineup is crazy young, and a group failure (for whatever reason) is directly and indirectly tied to Vladdy's success. We've all seen talented players fail when the star feels he must carry the team, hit a 6 run homer on every pitch. Hitting is contagious, both good and bad. I played enough ball to know it wasn't worth putting on the batting gloves and getting mentally prepared when I was in the hole w/ 2 outs, and there was no way I'd get my chance that inning. On the flip, I've been on teams that were exceptionally coached and I've lead off an inning, scored, and knew damn well I'd be hitting again before needing my glove. I don't think of TOR in the (MIA/BAL) level of suckage, but there is certainly an advantage to a blue chip stud being promoted to a quality team. Y. Alvarez for example will get a huge boost from his surrounding cast, and have minimal pressure compared to Vlad Jr.

Guess it's time to evaluate that reality a lil more w/ hitters, when historically, I've only really thought about it w/ RC SP's. IE, Vladdy seems to be the equivalent of a top SP who's been promoted to COL... as good as he may be, it's Coors Field and that's just reality. 

Edited by LarryChip10
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, LarryChip10 said:

I own the kid and have no worries, but its a keeper league and I've got time. While I don't follow TOR closely, I've read enough comments to believe the manager is in over his head, the hitting coach seems to suck given the teams overall numbers, yada yada. While I'm not remotely concerned w/ Vladdy, I am concerned that this inferred "ineptness" overall from the coaching staff will be detrimental to all the quality youth currently on the team and in their near future. The entire starting lineup is crazy young, and a group failure (for whatever reason) is directly and indirectly tied to Vladdy's success. We've all seen talented players fail when the star feels he must carry the team, hit a 6 run homer on every pitch. Hitting is contagious, both good and bad. I played enough ball to know it wasn't worth putting on the batting gloves and getting mentally prepared when I was in the hole and there was no way I'd get my chance that inning. On the flip, I've been on teams that were exceptionally coached and I've lead off an inning, scored, and knew damn well I'd be hitting again before needing my glove. I don't think of TOR in the (MIA/BAL) level of suckage, but there is certainly an advantage to a blue chip stud being promoted to a quality team. Y. Alvarez for example will get a huge boost from him surrounding cast, and have minimal pressure compared to Vlad Jr.

Guess it's time to evaluate that reality a lil more w/ hitters, when historically, I've only really thought about it w/ RC SP's. IE, Vladdy seems to be the equivalent of a top SP who's been promoted to COL... as good as he may be, it's Coors Field and that's just reality. 

It's hard to believe... but Baltimore and Miami are much more competitive if you watch the three and don't look at the records. Toronto is going to lose 100. If you bet, just pick on them. They're bad and won't hit streaks. Montoyo is just a total goof, loses every close game there is.

I think he was slashing .225/.301/.402 at the time of his fourth sit.  (Not counting his last sit for health reasons.)

He had played 17 consecutive games prior to that last sit for injury.

1 hour ago, mevins31 said:

He doesn’t suck just looks awful. 

I thought the plate discipline would be a lot more advanced at this stage. Definitely starting to wonder what he’s worth ROS. 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, absknicks said:

I thought the plate discipline would be a lot more advanced at this stage. Definitely starting to wonder what he’s worth ROS. 

.280/4 HR last 30 days. I was hoping for more but I think that's a fair per month expectation for him ROS. So .280, 12-15 HRs and precious few runs and rbi in that s---y lineup would be my guess.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sleepysock said:

.280/4 HR last 30 days. I was hoping for more but I think that's a fair per month expectation for him ROS. So .280, 12-15 HRs and precious few runs and rbi in that s---y lineup would be my guess.

will he finish top 250 in 5x5?

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, jfazz23 said:

will he finish top 250 in 5x5?

It makes me too sad to try and answer this question.

And I got bashed for not believing he was going to hit 30-90-90/.300 LOL

congrats to those still believing he’s worth a 4th rounder in redrafts 

• Like 1

Day after day they just get pounded and he does nothing.

if his last name was Wilson or Edwards no one would even own him. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

44 minutes ago, mevins31 said:

Been saying this from the start , the most biased forum I’ve ever seen. It’s embarrassing 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Simsanityy179 said:

Been saying this from the start , the most biased forum I’ve ever seen. It’s embarrassing 

Yep I just try to tell it like it he even if I like a guy. No dog in the fight just the truth.  

He just looks slow and they’re gonna hamper his development 

On 6/17/2019 at 12:26 AM, treat88 said:

the only consistent variable is his bad manager. 

You wouldn't be posting on this thread if the manager was the issue. it's simple - he needs more time.  Putting a young 20 year old on a pedestal was naive for any seasoned fantasy manager.  

Whether Montoyo is a major reason for Vlad's struggles I do not know.  But I do know juggling the lineup day in and day out is not a good idea.  Seems like Managing 101 not to.

Biggio goes 2-2 with 2 bombs and 3 walks in the 2 hole in front of Vlad then is moved to fourth.  Managing 101 says leave him in the 2 hole.  The next day he is moved to cleanup.  Now he is at the bottom of the order.

I think Montoyo is a bit over his head right now. He missed an obvious challenge call on a stolen 2b and next pitch was a HR.

However I do think Vlad isn't used to having to (in his mind) carry the offense. I think he is just pressing. He was given nothing but breaking pitches to begin with so he has to prove he can hit them before he tries to sit on FB

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Simsanityy179 said:

And I got bashed for not believing he was going to hit 30-90-90/.300 LOL

congrats to those still believing he’s worth a 4th rounder in redrafts 

How much longer are you (and others) going to keep complaining about what you paid for him?

It's a sunk cost at this point.

Edited by sportsfreak2744

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, mevins31 said:

No matter what his last name is he's a 70-grade prospect with 80-grade power. Your comment makes no sense.

Edited by sportsfreak2744

9 hours ago, IDGAFOS said:

The Jays suck and currently so does he - send him down.

9 hours ago, IDGAFOS said:

You wouldn't be posting on this thread if the manager was the issue. it's simple - he needs more time.  Putting a young 20 year old on a pedestal was naive for any seasoned fantasy manager.  

No, he doesn't. He's more than holding his own at 20 years old. He may not be producing like you expected for your fantasy team, but saying send him down is completely foolish. He torched the minors, there's nothing left for him to learn there.

On 6/18/2019 at 11:05 PM, sleepysock said:

Player. Growth. Isn't. Linear.