Backdoor Slider

Vladimir Guerrero, Jr. 2019 Outlook

Is Friday's game going to be nationally broadcast?

7 minutes ago, sportsfreak2744 said:

Yea, you're overthinking it.  He's not going to suddenly follow Grichuk and Teoscar's advice.  His dad is Vladimir Guerrero.  

Michael Jordan’s kids were mediocre st basketball though!  I digress though.  Looking forward to seeing what this kid can do!

1 minute ago, Cmilne23 said:

Michael Jordan’s kids were mediocre st basketball though!  I digress though.  Looking forward to seeing what this kid can do!

My point is that Vlad Jr has someone he can go to for advice in his father aside from Grichuk and/or Teoscar.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

MJs kids were never touted as the best prospects either. Vlad Jr. has been groomed since birth practically and I’m sure he’s going to make everybody around him better. The pupil will become the teacher! I’m sure he might slump at some point but it will be a short slump. 

• Like 1

Oh and it's against Fiers?  2 bombs minimum.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Krambone said:

MJs kids were never touted as the best prospects either. Vlad Jr. has been groomed since birth practically and I’m sure he’s going to make everybody around him better. The pupil will become the teacher! I’m sure he might slump at some point but it will be a short slump. 

I love this.... we are predicting slumps now. 

1 hour ago, buzzkilloton said:

I'm expecting an Albert Pujols level rookie season. Grats to everyone who owns him whos about to win their leagues! 

Albert Pujols rookie season would be insane. I feel like the lineup is going to be a detriment to a certain extent. 

I am thinking more like 25-30 HRs 85-90 RBIs .300 AVG ROS 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Ry34No said:

Albert Pujols rookie season would be insane. I feel like the lineup is going to be a detriment to a certain extent. 

I am thinking more like 25-30 HRs 85-90 RBIs .300 AVG ROS 

I dont disagree with the 25 bombs or the 300 avg but 90 RBI in 5 months when Toronto's team On Base % is .295 might be asking a lot. 

• Like 1

The hype is so over the top. Albert? Miggy? Griffey? 

Lets see him play in the majors a few games. Little doubt that he will be a great hitter, but jeez. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Cmilne23 said:

It will be an interesting test.  A lot of the more prestigious rookie seasons lately the players have had outstanding supporting casts.  Could be from having less pressure to produce, more guidance from actual talent.  I mean do we really want Randall Grichuk and Teoscar Hernandez to take him under their wing and show him what’s its like to be a major league windmill?  Maybe I’m overthinking it.  All I’m saying is that I’ll be curious to see what level of production he can achieve early in an ugly lineup.  

Crappy team is a legit concern, but more for the stuff inside the lines that you pointed out earlier. Guys will be pitching around him from AB 1 with no protection and 1st base open, always. Nobody to knock in but himself, and he's no launch angle savant (yet). Not a mountain, not a molehill, but his teammates and the lack of steals cap his ceiling somewhere around top 5 ROS, instead of same season ROY & MVP.

Edited by bdy1
  • Like 1

Where does everyone think he slots in the lineup? I'd like to see him start out hitting #2. Montoyo had him hitting 5th in the spring, but I think he's a guy you want up in the first inning. Long-term, don't think there is any doubt he'll hit 3rd, but I'd prefer to see him and Smoak up in the first inning and think Smoak gives him a bit of protection, which is why I see the best fit right now as #2. 

Thoughts?

2 minutes ago, paintingtheblack said:

Where does everyone think he slots in the lineup? I'd like to see him start out hitting #2. Montoyo had him hitting 5th in the spring, but I think he's a guy you want up in the first inning. Long-term, don't think there is any doubt he'll hit 3rd, but I'd prefer to see him and Smoak up in the first inning and think Smoak gives him a bit of protection, which is why I see the best fit right now as #2. 

Thoughts?

im guessing 3rd or 4th with smoak taking the other.

3 hours ago, Baur10 said:

.350/41/40/41/1

Think you're overestimating the Jays lineup

8 minutes ago, DannyMcPot said:

Think you're overestimating the Jays lineup

Which is more unlikely: those extra R/RBI or the SB?

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, bdy1 said:

Crappy team is a legit concern, but more for the stuff inside the lines that you pointed out earlier. Guys will be pitching around him from AB 1 with no protection and 1st base open, always. Nobody to knock in but himself, and he's no launch angle savant (yet). Not a mountain, not a molehill, but his teammates and the lack of steals cap his ceiling somewhere around top 5 ROS, instead of same season ROY & MVP.

What about Vlad Jr's minor league performances tell you he needs to concern himself with launch angle?

.331/.413/.531 through 4 minor league seasons

.336/.414/.564 as a 19-year old in AAA last season.

.367/.424/.700 so far this season in AAA at 20 years old.

Edited by sportsfreak2744

17 hours ago, Stickfig13 said:

Bookmark this prediction...

He will be injured a lot. That body scares me with age. 

"with age" huh?

HE JUST TURNED TWENTY!

• Haha 4

Baseball Prospectus' forecast system, PECOTA, has projected worst case scenario for 2019 Vlad as hitting .271/.327/.463 with 16 HR   Worst case.

Best case?

.351/415/.596 with 26 HR.

Most likely?

.308/.369/.519 with 20 HR

32 minutes ago, cs3 said:

"with age" huh?

HE JUST TURNED TWENTY!

Yeah, he looks like that at 20. The guys on MLB Network radio said the same thing this morning. 

Glad this thread is at the top. 🇨🇦️ Vladito

None of us know how Vlad will turn out, but can we at least agree that he has perhaps the best hit profile, ever?  Has any prospect with his size and pedigree destroyed minor league pitching to this extent in recent history?  

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, tommyGunZ said:

None of us know how Vlad will turn out, but can we at least agree that he has perhaps the best hit profile, ever?  Has any prospect with his size and pedigree destroyed minor league pitching to this extent in recent history?  

I mean, we gotta go back AT LEAST 365 days to see anything like it. 

Soto (minors)- .362/.434/.609/1.043

Vlad Jr. (minors)- .331/.413/.531/.945

So no, not sure we can agree on that. 

Edited by Backdoor Slider
  • Like 3