Backdoor Slider

Vladimir Guerrero, Jr. 2019 Outlook

3 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

I mean, we gotta go back AT LEAST 365 days to see anything like it. 

Soto (minors)- .362/.434/.609/1.043

Vlad Jr. (minors)- .331/.413/.531/.945

So no, not sure we can agree on that. 

Those Soto numbers are basically lower minors...he had 8 games of AA ball...he was a fast riser though

Soto is a stud though...not debating that.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, cs3 said:

"with age" huh?

HE JUST TURNED TWENTY!

That is exactly why its scary. You got Fatties that more or less kept themselves around the same weight range their entire career. Ala Fielder. Then you got guys like Pablo Sandoval who went all over the place. He sounds more like the Latter tbh. (Not as a hitter, but body type)

Edited by Slatykamora

8 minutes ago, pduce242424 said:

Those Soto numbers are basically lower minors...he had 8 games of AA ball...he was a fast riser though

Soto is a stud though...not debating that.

Definitely fair. Vlad should’ve been up as quickly, if TOR/MLB didn’t do things as they do (another debate). 

I’m super excited about Vlad, and he’s certainly one of the better hitting prospects we’ve seen in recent years. Just need to pump the brakes on “OMG IS HE THE BEST EVERR?” Just adding a little perspective. 

17 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Definitely fair. Vlad should’ve been up as quickly, if TOR/MLB didn’t do things as they do (another debate). 

I’m super excited about Vlad, and he’s certainly one of the better hitting prospects we’ve seen in recent years. Just need to pump the brakes on “OMG IS HE THE BEST EVERR?” Just adding a little perspective. 

Thats fair.  I’m 45 years old, and have followed baseball and prospects semi closely since 84-85, and I can’t remember any prospect I felt so strongly about not busting.  I think Griffey Jr perhaps if you’re talking all around certainty of excellence, but from a pure hitting standpoint, I think it’s Vlad Jr.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, LivingOnTheEdge said:

With his hit tool he could weight 500 lbs at DH and still rake

Not really sure what other people's angle was. But I referring to staying healthy. Not a matter of how good of hitter he is.

20 hours ago, Stickfig13 said:

Bookmark this prediction...

He will be injured a lot. That body scares me with age. 

Jays have a high performance team that will whip him into shape.  

3 hours ago, sportsfreak2744 said:

What about Vlad Jr's minor league performances tell you he needs to concern himself with launch angle?

.331/.413/.531 through 4 minor league seasons

.336/.414/.564 as a 19-year old in AAA last season.

.367/.424/.700 so far this season in AAA at 20 years old.

Haha looking at it, maybe he already has. Not sure how fast FB% normalizes but in 50 MiLB PA this spring, his was 46.2% & 44.4% in A+ and AAA respectively. Not sure about AFL but you colored me curious. Prior to that, going back to A ball his FB%'s were 29.2%, 30.3%, 28.6%, 0.0%, 38.0% and 24% at each new level. The book on him has been level swing, line drive hitter who would have to hit more fly balls to fully unlock his 80 raw power. 6 of 1, 1/2 dozen of the other: .340 with 30 hr prime or .300 with 50 hr prime. Excepting that the bombs are preferable to OBP when the sucky Jays are none on base and too feeble to knock him in, he doesn't need to concern himself with anything except over eating.

So if you're reading this, Vlad, get stoned after you eat, not before (the munchies are not the problem, munching your buzz and starting that sugar-stoned cycle is -- especially combined with video games). And don't eat anything after 9 pm.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The 7th Beatles said:

Dollars Canadian or Merican?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 2ndCitySox said:

Dollars Canadian or Merican?

25$ to go see blue Jays is too much. Wtf

Just now, zstlj said:

25$ to go see blue Jays is too much. Wtf

Find tickets for like 10 bucks on a daily basis in outfield here

38 minutes ago, zstlj said:

Find tickets for like 10 bucks on a daily basis in outfield here

Not today you won't! 

Funny that the tix are so expensive for day 1

Do they know he plays on days 2 3 and 4 too?

• Haha 1

So few people here realize that Justin smoak has a .411 obp and is ideal to bat in front of vladdy

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Backdoor Slider said:

When's the last time we saw a prospect do what Vlad has done to AAA pitching over a comparable number of games?

Edited by hailtoyourvictor

5 hours ago, bdy1 said:

Haha looking at it, maybe he already has. Not sure how fast FB% normalizes but in 50 MiLB PA this spring, his was 46.2% & 44.4% in A+ and AAA respectively. Not sure about AFL but you colored me curious. Prior to that, going back to A ball his FB%'s were 29.2%, 30.3%, 28.6%, 0.0%, 38.0% and 24% at each new level. The book on him has been level swing, line drive hitter who would have to hit more fly balls to fully unlock his 80 raw power. 6 of 1, 1/2 dozen of the other: .340 with 30 hr prime or .300 with 50 hr prime. Excepting that the bombs are preferable to OBP when the sucky Jays are none on base and too feeble to knock him in, he doesn't need to concern himself with anything except over eating.

So if you're reading this, Vlad, get stoned after you eat, not before (the munchies are not the problem, munching your buzz and starting that sugar-stoned cycle is -- especially combined with video games). And don't eat anything after 9 pm.

Um..... have you seen his swing?

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, pushaZ said:

Funny that the tix are so expensive for day 1

Do they know he plays on days 2 3 and 4 too?

While true, there is something nostalgic about being able to say "I saw [insert all time great] play their first game". There will be thousands of career games to watch there is only one first appearance.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, hailtoyourvictor said:

While true, there is something nostalgic about being able to say "I saw [insert all time great] play their first game". There will be thousands of career games to watch there is only one first appearance.

I suppose you could say you saw his first homer but you're right, we know that's gonna happen on day 1.

19 minutes ago, hailtoyourvictor said:

When's the last time we saw a prospect do what Vlad has done to AAA pitching over a comparable number of games?

Most of them got promoted before they got the chance. Like Soto.

12 minutes ago, pushaZ said:

I suppose you could say you saw his first homer but you're right, we know that's gonna happen on day 1.

"Son, you know that guy they just inducted into the hall of game? I was at his second game ever."

"Why not his first?"

"The ticket was $20 more."

😲

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

11 minutes ago, hailtoyourvictor said:

Ya pay 50 to go see a HOFer possibly down the road and have the ticket stub from the game would be cool. I'm saying in general I consider 25$ to see a fairly bad team in a domed arena a joke. 

I can go to Busch on any night for 25$ for 2 ppl in solid seats, better team, fun time,  and so How is Toronto charging 25$ 

12 minutes ago, Slatykamora said:

Most of them got promoted before they got the chance. Like Soto.

I'm wondering if anyone has put up comparably elite AAA numbers over a large sample size because I'd be interested in seeing that trajectory.

1 minute ago, hailtoyourvictor said:

"Son, you know that guy they just inducted into the hall of game? I was at his second game ever."

"Why not his first?"

"The ticket was $20 more."

😲

Everyone understand I meant 25$ on any night is too much. If.u like that stuff then go forsure for 20$ extra. I'm not paying my 25 bucks on a Tuesday night in may to watch them in that ballpark.