Backdoor Slider

Vladimir Guerrero, Jr. 2019 Outlook

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, ReyesMurphyWright said:

Last 11 games:

.395 BA / .458 OBP % / .674 SLUG%

3 HR, 3 doubles

5 walks, 7 strikeouts

17 RBI

 

That's a lot more like it.

Sitting today.  Nothing like giving a kid who has had troubles getting going a breather in the middle of a hot streak.

Edited by herschel
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, herschel said:

Sitting today.  Nothing like giving a kid who has had troubles getting going a breather in the middle of a hot streak.

 

Montoya is an idiot. Evidence item #573

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, 20Duval904 said:

 

Montoya is an idiot. Evidence item #573

This was argued with me in this thread.

why in the world would they sit him today?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mevins31 said:

This was argued with me in this thread.

why in the world would they sit him today?

Too much exercise and ya can't put on weight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bdy1 said:

Too much exercise and ya can't put on weight.

Earlier in this thread, rotoworld posters defended his resting every couple days. They rest him like a catcher 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You know when 20 year old baseball players rest? The winter. When they inevitably get hurt. Plus the copious amount of off days the sport has obnoxiously scheduled into this soft year of 2019

not playing him now isn’t only missing on numbers in the season and his career he will never get back—it is also hampering an opportunity for growing and development. 

An off day against an ace like sale when you’re struggling and it’s on the road is the right move.

how they have managed his playing time from the jump even as a 19 year old shows the hallmark of a bad organization who does losing things and continues to lose because they mismanage player development, trades, the hiring of managerial personnel and managing their assets like their farm system. He better be as good as advertised or that organization—a rudderless ship—will certainly not help. They are a mess from top down to bottom. They have 3 players. Vlad, Bichette And Gurriel Jr. That is it. Raw talent on those 3

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, mevins31 said:

You know when 20 year old baseball players rest? The winter. When they inevitably get hurt. Plus the copious amount of off days the sport has obnoxiously scheduled into this soft year of 2019

not playing him now isn’t only missing on numbers in the season and his career he will never get back—it is also hampering an opportunity for growing and development. 

An off day against an ace like sale when you’re struggling and it’s on the road is the right move.

how they have managed his playing time from the jump even as a 19 year old shows the hallmark of a bad organization who does losing things and continues to lose because they mismanage player development, trades, the hiring of managerial personnel and managing their assets like their farm system. He better be as good as advertised or that organization—a rudderless ship—will certainly not help. They are a mess from top down to bottom. They have 3 players. Vlad, Bichette And Gurriel Jr. That is it. Raw talent on those 3

 

they are going no where.  the team isnt playing fantasy baseball.  of course they are going to sit him occasionally. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah. He's young, but it's not like he has no history of injuries. The major league season goes all the way into fall, which most rookies aren't used to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Fiveohnine said:

Yeah. He's young, but it's not like he has no history of injuries. The major league season goes all the way into fall, which most rookies aren't used to.

What injuries has he had other than oblique

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really? He might have actually come up with the Jays just last season but he hurt his knee and missed a lot of time in AAA.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In addition to giving him some rest, if he's on a roll I can see sitting him against Sale.  Sale can end hot streaks.  :shrug:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

I look forward to quoting the terrible Vlad takes for years to come. 

It's gonna be amazing. Writing off a generational prospect after 3 months in the majors.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tommyGunZ said:

In addition to giving him some rest, if he's on a roll I can see sitting him against Sale.  Sale can end hot streaks.  :shrug:

2019 Sale can also start hot streaks.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The vast majority of fantasy leagues are redraft and won't care about this thread for "years to come." Neither should dynasty owners for that matter.

Earlier in this thread, after his slow start, I put the over/under at his dad's rookie OPS (.833). Personally, I'd still be sweating the over a bit more than the under. Though the line itself doesn't look so bad anymore.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Fiveohnine said:

The vast majority of fantasy leagues are redraft and won't care about this thread for "years to come." Neither should dynasty owners for that matter.

 

 

Oh, they will. It's important to learn from mistakes in fantasy baseball.  Some people convinced themselves to "get anything they can" because of the Home Run Derby. So they wasted an early round pick on a rookie who was never going to steal bases, got terrible production, and then compounded that mistake by selling low.  I think someone else said he doesn't have a major league swing. Other people complaining about what he was advertised as, as if some evaluator's prospect analysis on a guy is a guarantee for your 2019 redraft team.  If everyone lived up to their advertisements (both good and bad), there wouldn't be a point to playing fantasy anything, the whole point is to figure out where the value is and isn't. 

I like Vlad as a talent a lot, but at no point did I ever endorse a whacky redraft price. 

Edited by brockpapersizer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

 

Oh, they will. It's important to learn from mistakes in fantasy baseball.  Some people convinced themselves to "get anything they can" because of the Home Run Derby. So they wasted an early round pick on a rookie who was never going to steal bases, got terrible production, and then compounded that mistake by selling low.  I think someone else said he doesn't have a major league swing. Other people complaining about what he was advertised as, as if some evaluator's prospect analysis on a guy is a guarantee for your 2019 redraft team.  If everyone lived up to their advertisements (both good and bad), there wouldn't be a point to playing fantasy anything, the whole point is to figure out where the value is and isn't. 

I like Vlad as a talent a lot, but at no point did I ever endorse a whacky redraft price. 

The only thing I ever wondered about was how he got an 80 hit tool; first ever. And even though he looks awesome, I still wonder it.

to me that seems a product of some great talent, hype, and last name/pedigree. Someone in scouting gave him that for those reasons. Good for the sport that he’s looking better though 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

I look forward to quoting the terrible Vlad takes for years to come. 

 

?  what does this year have to do with years to come?  id gladly take him in a dynasty, but ppl who took him in the 4th this year are insane

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, jfazz23 said:

 

?  what does this year have to do with years to come?  id gladly take him in a dynasty, but ppl who took him in the 4th this year are insane

 

Lots of people said he was bad talent, didn't have a major league swing, that's not the same as saying he was a bad 4th round pick. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, brockpapersizer said:

 

Lots of people said he was bad talent, didn't have a major league swing, that's not the same as saying he was a bad 4th round pick. 

 

oh ok.  my mistake.  TOR lineup will be solid with vlad and bo bichette for years to come

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

 

Lots of people said he was bad talent, didn't have a major league swing, that's not the same as saying he was a bad 4th round pick. 

Doesn't have a major league swing😂. It somehow escaped every scout's attention as they filed that he has a perfect swing!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, jfazz23 said:

 

oh ok.  my mistake.  TOR lineup will be solid with vlad and bo bichette for years to come

I have scoured their levels pretty close.

they don’t have a ton aside from Vlad himself, Gurriel jr. Bichette, Biggio who is fringe, Jansen. Honestly no great prospects. They have a long ways to go. He’s going to be on a lot of losing teams. Hopefully it doesn’t permeate his performance 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, mevins31 said:

What injuries has he had other than oblique

You have a really short term memory, don't you?

 

 

Quote

they don’t have a ton aside from Vlad himself, Gurriel jr. Bichette, Biggio who is fringe, Jansen. Honestly no great prospects.

No great prospects guys... aside from the 5 guys who would be at or near the top of every farm system in baseball! Nice take

Edited by cs3
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, brockpapersizer said:

 

Oh, they will. It's important to learn from mistakes in fantasy baseball.  Some people convinced themselves to "get anything they can" because of the Home Run Derby. So they wasted an early round pick on a rookie who was never going to steal bases, got terrible production, and then compounded that mistake by selling low.

 

I get what you're saying. But you're also counting your chickens before they've hatched. I'm not saying they won't. Just that you've already counted them.

Also, selling before the homerun derby would have been selling low, not after. I think some people probably got decent value at that point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...