Backdoor Slider

Vladimir Guerrero, Jr. 2019 Outlook

Is he going to sit today? He usually does after big games...

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Such an exciting and polarizing player. Even when hes hot, fans and his fantasy owners will argue endlessly about his weight, scouts given hit tool rating from years ago, launch angle and surrounding cast on fantasy forums.

7 minutes ago, Gryfter said:

Such an exciting and polarizing player. Even when hes hot, fans and his fantasy owners will argue endlessly about his weight, scouts given hit tool rating from years ago, launch angle and surrounding cast on fantasy forums.

Ironically, the analysis on him genuinely seems should be incredibly straight forward. 

Continuing to hate on Vlad is becoming silly.   After a slow start his numbers continue to improve to very respectable in his rookie season,  age 20.

His future looks incredibly bright and I look forward to some big seasons.

I said he was swinging more aggressively. Then he went on a tear 

1 hour ago, Dr. Whom said:

Is he going to sit today? He usually does after big games...

If Montoya tries to sit him this weekend, I’m driving to Baltimore and changing the lineup card myself.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, mevins31 said:

The only thing I ever wondered about was how he got an 80 hit tool; first ever. And even though he looks awesome, I still wonder it.

to me that seems a product of some great talent, hype, and last name/pedigree. Someone in scouting gave him that for those reasons. Good for the sport that he’s looking better though 

Who said he had an 80 hit tool?

Fangraphs has him at 65 hit tool now, 70 future.

(He does have an 88% zone contact rate and 78% contact rate overall.)

14 hours ago, mevins31 said:

I have scoured their levels pretty close.

they don’t have a ton aside from Vlad himself, Gurriel jr. Bichette, Biggio who is fringe, Jansen. Honestly no great prospects. They have a long ways to go. He’s going to be on a lot of losing teams. Hopefully it doesn’t permeate his performance 

Well if Vlad is what he is expected to be, a Miguel Cabrera type bat, they won't need much aside from Vlad himself, will they?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, sportsfreak2744 said:

(He does have an 88% zone contact rate and 78% contact rate overall.)

This, coupled with the fact that he's like 12 years old make for a promising future, despite however you want to label his start.

7 minutes ago, sportsfreak2744 said:

Who said he had an 80 hit tool? 

https://www.minorleagueball.com/2017/9/3/16245376/ranking-the-five-best-farm-systems-hitters

2. Toronto Blue Jays-The Blue Jays don’t have the depth of the White Sox, but this is by far the most exciting group of bats in the minors. Just this past Friday, Baseball America’s John Manuel suggested 80 power and 80 hit for Vladimir Guerrero Jr.

https://www.bluebirdbanter.com/2018/7/19/17590928/two-blue-jays-on-keith-laws-top-50-prospects

Guerrero’s bat belongs in the big leagues and it’s the best in the minors, bar none. It’s an 80 hit tool, and because he’s so strong and his hands are so quick, it’s 80 power, too.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I hadn't realized some were giving him an 80 hit tool as well. Thanks for sharing.

If he does, it hasn't translated yet (obviously). But things are looking up: https://www.fangraphs.com/graphs.aspx?playerid=19611&position=3B&statArr=106,107,44&legend=1,2,3&split=base&time=game&ymin=&ymax=&start=2019&end=2019&rtype=mult&gt1=15&dStatArray=

Contact rates up, groundball rate down

I think he has a chance to be a better hitter than Acuna. He won't strike out as much and will probably walk at a higher clip. Acuna has a lot more speed, but I can see Vladdy being a top 3 hitter at some point. 

• Like 2

Just now, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

I think he has a chance to be a better hitter than Acuna. He won't strike out as much and will probably walk at a higher clip. Acuna has a lot more speed, but I can see Vladdy being a top 3 hitter at some point. 

Both are gonna be top 3-5 players for a very long time. The game is in good hands.

5 minutes ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

Much bigger offensive upside but can’t be a 10 WAR guy like Acuna Bc no defense to get there. Of course what do any of us care about defense 

^We do care about SBs though. Those are going to give Acuna a pretty big head start over this guy in fantasy for the foreseeable future.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, sportsfreak2744 said:

Well if Vlad is what he is expected to be, a Miguel Cabrera type bat, they won't need much aside from Vlad himself, will they?

Those tigers teams had Magglio and a lot of other weapons around Miggy. And some pitching. Want to see Vlad play on some winning teams and the blue jays win. It’s good for the sport 

Vlad will be the #1 fantasy producer next year... And a few after.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, emcllns said:

No he won’t. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

So far tonight he’s got an RBI single, a R scored and a walk.

His AB’s have become much better. His confidence is apparent. He’s not chasing like he was early on.

The talk of him pressing seemed legit. But he’s not doing that now. It’s fun to watch.

2 hours ago, emcllns said:

with 0 stolen bases that's really hard.  Top 10 sure but number 1 not really