Backdoor Slider

Vladimir Guerrero, Jr. 2019 Outlook

8 minutes ago, pduce242424 said:

Wow...I was guessing they'd start him at maybe 6 initially.

It would kind of be a joke to have him batting behind the likes of Drury or Sogard honestly...

30 minutes ago, pduce242424 said:

Just another day in the Vlad thread...

I wonder where he will slot in the lineup tonight?  Any reports on that yet?

I think he hits 2. Sogard/Vlad/Smoak/Grichuk/Teoscar. Grichuk and Teoscar don't get on enough, like them more in a drive-in Vlad/Smoak role. 

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, pduce242424 said:

Wow...I was guessing they'd start him at maybe 6 initially.

He might bat 6th tonight. RR is jus a guess, lots of times its just what they would do with the current roster.  I wouldn't be surprised if he batted 5-6. Kinda makes the Blue Jays look even worse if they dont call a guy up forever and then they just put him 3rd in his first game as if they knew he was their best hitter since last year (which he is and they did)

We'll find out in a few hours. Anywhere from 3-6 is my guess, and regardless, he'll be 2-4 very soon. thereafter. 3 makes most sense.
Edited by brockpapersizer
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, paintingtheblack said:

BA rated Vlad's hit tool as 80/80.

For comparison's sake, Trout was 70/80 and Harper 60/80. 

The expectations are awfully high, but they should be.

Should they though?

I mean, just looking at your "comparison," Mike Trout's first cup of coffee was pretty awful.

Don't get me wrong. I understand the excitement. I'm just saying Vlad Jr. may come out raking... or not.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sportsfreak2744 said:

Seriously?

Yeah, how often is a top prospect called up and slotted in the third spot in their first game...they typically hit a little lower on the lineup, with a little time to prove themselves at the highest level. This has little to do with the rest of the talent on the squad or lack thereof.  I have no doubt he will be hitting in a prone spot in short order. I’d just be surprised if it was game 1.  Shoot, if Bellinger can hit 6th then surely Vlad could hit 6th in his first game. 

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, pduce242424 said:

Yeah, how often is a top prospect called up and slotted in the third spot in their first game...they typically hit a little lower on the lineup, with a little time to prove themselves at the highest level. This has little to do with the rest of the talent on the squad or lack thereof.  I have no doubt he will be hitting in a prone spot in short order. I’d just be surprised if it was game 1.  Shoot, if Bellinger can hit 6th then surely Vlad could hit 6th in his first game. 

I get what you're saying, but Vlad is a much better prospect than Bellinger was and the Jays have a much worse lineup than the Dodgers did when he got the call.

EDIT: Oh you mean now?  Didn't realize he was batting that low now.  I think that says more about Roberts than the Jays management.

Edited by Baur10
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, pduce242424 said:

Surely tho, it's obvious to all that the Jay's have no one nearly as talented as David Freese to stick in the 3 spot in Vlads stead. 

With a talent like that at your disposal, it makes perfect sense why Bellinger is hitting 6th. 

🙄

Thank God it's not Roberts managing Vlad. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Baur10 said:

I get what you're saying, but Vlad is a much better prospect than Bellinger was and the Jays have a much worse lineup than the Dodgers did when he got the call.

EDIT: Oh you mean now?  Didn't realize he was batting that low now.  I think that says more about Roberts than the Jays management.

Bellinger has only batted 6th 5 times, and it's been against lefty starters.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Baur10 said:

Yeah, I meant now for Bellinger.

Really my opinion and question of where he would bat today, is just about where they’d slot him in his first game...that’s it.  To me it doesn’t seem like a far fetch to not have him in the prime spot of the lineup for his very first game.  

The only reasonable place in the order for him is either just in front of or just behind Smoak.  Your two best bats protect and drive each other in.

Anywhere else is purely rookie treatment BS. 

Arrives at the Rogers Centre rocking an Expos jersey. 

Kid has Moxy

• Like 3

1 minute ago, crotchcrickets said:

batting 5th...nice...should increase his SB opportunities

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

1 minute ago, crotchcrickets said:

batting 5th...nice...should increase his SB opportunities

This kid is alot of awesome and incredible things but a basestealer is certainly not one of them

• Haha 1

With Billy McKinney serving as Vlad's protection,  I can see a three walks tonight before finally swinging at a pitch over his head.........for a HR of course.

15 minutes ago, bigbossman said:

Arrives at the Rogers Centre rocking an Expos jersey. 

Kid has Moxy

I don’t believe it takes moxy to wear your HOF father’s jersey. 

Really? I mean 5th is still heart of the order. Another way of looking at it is that the manager thinks he's providing protection for the guys in front of him. Plus, it makes sense to have him slotted between two lefties like that.

would they really try to pitch around him with 0 mlb at bats? If I was a MLB pitcher I would want to attack the rookie and get him to K three times.

but as fantasy owner I hope Vlad makes him pay.

Posted (edited)

Is there really any doubt that he isn't immediately the best bat in that line up? 

I get he hasn't even swung at an MLB pitch, but how wrong would every scout on the planet have to be for him to not be at least a Smoak, Grichuk level bat? 

You hit him second if Smoak is in the 3 hole. You hit him 3rd if Smoak is cleanup. Either way you want him hitting in the first inning. 

When the cupboard is bare even crumbs look good. Vlad is a 32 Oz. filet mignon. 

Edited by treat88

If only this was the 2015 Blue Jays. This team is a shell of what it once was. Hope Vlad can still rack up plenty of RBIs though.