Fuzzy_Slippers

4/25 - GAME DAY THREAD

Greinkes hair style is horrid today. 

• Like 1

The pirates hit the cut off man and still let the guy advance to 2nd with 0 outs..

11 minutes ago, intothedarkness said:

Another one?! I feel like this guy is for real. Lamb is in trouble.

Doesn't Lamb play 3B?

• Like 1

Greinke with the triple off Taillon

1 minute ago, intothedarkness said:

I thought walker and lamb were sharing time at 1st? Maybe lamb goes to 3rd if he comes back. But they can't bench walker at this point.

With the way Walker is currently hitting, one of Escobar, Ahmed, or Marte would likely be the odd man out.  Put Lamb at 3rd and those three can duke it out for MI.

Hopefully old man lester gets banged up today.  Should be better played than that pirate dbacks game at least

Man, everything AZ has put in play last night and today is extra bases. Seeing the ball pretty well lately. 

They’re really picking on Gregory today - another triple 

2 minutes ago, ToO_BaD said:

With the way Walker is currently hitting, one of Escobar, Ahmed, or Marte would likely be the odd man out.  Put Lamb at 3rd and those three can duke it out for MI.

Right now I'm leaning towards Walker being a Christian Villanueva / Matt Davidson type moreso. 

Just now, taobball said:

Right now I'm leaning towards Walker being a Christian Villanueva / Matt Davidson type moreso. 

Jeeze that's harsh. I hope not. He looks pretty damn good to me.

Just now, treat88 said:

Man, everything AZ has put in play last night and today is extra bases. Seeing the ball pretty well lately. 

The ball was flying off the bat.  Couple balls to CF last night that went to the wall on some reaching swings

Gives up a triple on back to back hitters. Cannot put anyone away. So overrated. 

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, intothedarkness said:

Jeeze that's harsh. I hope not. He looks pretty damn good to me.

I mean that's how breakouts go in April. Last year in April Villanueva hit .321 with 8 HRs. In May he hit .170 with 7 HRs. In November he moved his career to the Nippon Professional League (Japan). 

Some guys you believe in some guys you don't. Some guys you're also wrong on. But Walker's not a guy I believe in right now. 

Edited by taobball
  • Like 1

Just now, WaKe21334 said:

Gives up a triple on back to back hitters. Cannot put anyone away. So overrated. 

The good news is this should be Taillon last inning. This guy sucks. 

1 minute ago, taobball said:

I mean that's how breakouts go in April. Last year in April Villanueva hit .321 with 8 HRs. In May he hit .170 with 7 HRs. In November he moved his career to the Nippon Professional League (Japan). 

Some guys you believe in some guys you don't. Some guys you're also wrong on. But Walker's not a guy I believe in right now. 

What does he have to do to make you believe in him though?

Just now, weakkneeswilly said:

He caught a break also with 2nd and 3rd nobody out in 2nd ? 3rd? 

6 minutes ago, taobball said:

What is that makes you not believe in him?

5 minutes ago, weakkneeswilly said:

The strikeouts are actually decent today but far too many times he is ahead and is leaving meat balls middle up for hot hitters. 

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, intothedarkness said:

What does he have to do to make you believe in him though?

Better contact on fastballs, convince me he's competent on off-speed, and when I go through his video and see his HRs I need to see fewer meat balls. I missed his first Double today. The second was just a horrid pitch. I've seen quite a few of his HRs on just dead-center not-that-fast pitches. 

He can beat mistakes. I think he's going to get pitched to better and with a more directed scouting report and it will crush him if not soon, before long. Unless he changes some things or shows improvements he hasn't so far this year, to my eye. 

Edited by taobball
  • Like 1

Idk about that hit and run by cubbies

1 minute ago, AnonymousRob said:

What is that makes you not believe in him?

His career whiff% on 4SFBs is egregious and so are his numbers against off-speed pitches (not-breaking, but specifically Changes). Neither of these things have changed in the early season. His overall whiff% is really high makes me think he's going to strike out 30%+ anyway, but he's a curiously good breaking ball hitter early on. Teams will figure that out. If he can't touch 23% of 4SFBs I think he'll fall apart at the seams. His career nubmers on 4SFBs aren't even bad in terms of BA/SLG, but his K total is and I think the Whiff/Ks will win out in the long run. Still only 180-200 PAs career so those are the numbers that matter to me. 

And again, small samples, but his problems in this regard pre-2019 are still absolutely prevalent. I consider problems for Whiff% (4SFB) at like 10%. 15% starts scaring me bad. He sat at like 23-24% prior to this year at 22% this year. EGREGIOUS. And on his career he has a sub-.100 BA on changes with 1 BB 1 1B 1 2B in I think 23? ABs. 

I don't know when it happens, but I think when scouting reports get good on this guy they will demolish him into a fine powder and send him to Japan al-a Christian Villanueva. I'm being a little extreme and hope I'm wrong but that's what I see. If I'm a scout working for a team and see walker right now I'm screaming to talk to the Catcher and make sure he knows how to call this guy. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2