nlm

Tommy LaStella 2019 Outlook

Dude just hit his 7th HR on the year, in what I have to assume is (somewhat?) limited playing time.

Is there anything to see here? Average is down, but his slugging is obviously way up.

Mike Trout: 16 runs, 21 hits, 6 HR, 14 RBI

Tommy La Stella: 14 runs, 16 hits, 7 HR, 14 RBI

I picked him up yesterday and started him. Why the hate? What's the case?

If this is a flash in the pan at least ride the wave. You can drop him. No loss.

• Like 3

Wow, Im amazed at his K-rate...only 4 all season so far.

Some of his peripherals are interesting, to me, and feel free to explain further. His BABIP is at like a .155 or something, but he appears to be KILLING the ball with a career high hard hit %, and his K % is down.

Is this a potential break out like Aguilar last year? He’s got great position eligibility MI/CO, I’m thinking he’s def worth an add in all leagues, what you guys think?

i need some 2nd base help was keeping a close eye on STELLA....STELLA and that red sox new 2nd

tada - my kiki hernadez replacement!  This guy is mashing.  Grabbed him in both my leagues!

7 minutes ago, JetsAwesome said:

tada - my kiki hernadez replacement!  This guy is mashing.  Grabbed him in both my leagues!

Tell us more. 

No idea how often he is going to sit vs lefties ROS, but these are some numbers under the hood:

• Walk rate double his K rate (11.1 to 5.6).
  • An unusually low babip of .188 which should only go up. --- .091 babip vs LHP, .208 babip vs RHP (18 & 72 PA). When that babip normalizes, the average will too.
  • O-swing% is way down from last season (from 28.0 to 18.9), but his overall contact % is up from 84.9% to 90.9%. That means his plate discipline and contact have both dramatically improved.
  • The swstr% is also down to only 3.5% from 6.7% last season so he's barely missing on any of his swings.
  • Hard contact% of 46.5% (league average is 37.1).

I'm holding for now. The main issue here is playing time, namely Zack Cozart. He's coming off the IL very soon. Hopefully they just let La Stella play 2nd every day though.

• Like 3

La Stella batting leadoff tonight. Already 1-2 with 2 Rs, RBI and BB. 

Seeing the ball crazy good so far this year. 

Posted (edited)

Back in the lineup. Batting 9th between Cozart and Fletcher.

vs DET LHP Ryan Carpenter

Tommy is batting .077 vs LHP this season though

edit *Carpenter's not a rookie, he was on the team last season and made a handful of starts. Dude is also 28.

Edited by Bobby Blue

Posted (edited)

Did anyone see his homeruns today? One was off of a lefty. Is this a guy who seriously bought into launch angle or something?

Edited by nlm

9 hours ago, Bobby Blue said:

Back in the lineup. Batting 9th between Cozart and Fletcher.

vs DET LHP Ryan Carpenter

Tommy is batting .077 vs LHP this season though

edit *Carpenter's not a rookie, he was on the team last season and made a handful of starts. Dude is also 28.

Noticed he had 1 total at bat since May 2nd before today, was there some sort of injury or was it that Cozart was back?

Just now, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

Noticed he had 1 total at bat since May 2nd before today, was there some sort of injury or was it that Cozart was back?

he had been out with injury. today was his first game back.

• Like 1

Gotcha, really thinking about picking him up but was concerned if it was a playing time issue or some little nagging injury

thanks

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nlm said:

Did anyone see his homeruns today? One was off of a lefty. Is this a guy who seriously bought into launch angle or something?

I watched the game. The home runs were typical of him this season in that he crushed the middle to low strike. High heat might give him fits, but from what I've seen, he goes golfing on anything middle to low.

His launch angle is at a career high of 16.1, so it looks like he's made a conscious decision to elevate the ball with more of an uppercut swing, as per his Under% which is also at a career high of 31.2%, up from 16.2% last season.

He now has three 2-HR games for the season.

• Like 4

Batting leadoff today...

18 minutes ago, CraftyRighty said:

Scooter Gennett 2.0.........

That caught my attention.  One thing scaring me is the age. I know its a bit shortsighted, but i just cant get past it.  Was whit 29 when he broke out? 

12 minutes ago, Cesare13 said:

That caught my attention.  One thing scaring me is the age. I know its a bit shortsighted, but i just cant get past it.  Was whit 29 when he broke out? 

yeah 28/29, same thing

Not saying he is scooter but his position, body, etc could be a guy similar who changed his mentality to slam the ball instead of jerking around with hitting Petey's all day

2 hours ago, CraftyRighty said:

yeah 28/29, same thing

Not saying he is scooter but his position, body, etc could be a guy similar who changed his mentality to slam the ball instead of jerking around with hitting Petey's all day

Nope....too late,you said scooter. I just picked him up. 😜

Fyi,im the king midas of fantasy baseball. Except instead of gold,everything i touch turns to crap.

Tommy La Stella, who had 10 career home runs before this season, just his 10th homer of the year.

• Like 1