nlm

Tommy LaStella 2019 Outlook

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

I feel like I've found fool's gold with this guy. I'm loving it so far, but just waiting for the bottom to fall out somehow. 

That being said, the Angels must be pretty confident in him too. He has been leading off these past few days. If he keeps slamming the ball like this it will be interesting to see if they move him back in the order a bit, into an RBI slot. His ability to take a walk isn't to be underestimated, either, though...

 

Edited by nlm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Stickfig13 said:

 

I read that. He’s still Tommy LaStella. The guy who hasn’t hit more than 5 HR in a season. 

He has 11 this season.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, AnonymousRob said:

He has 11 this season.

 

*Prior to this season. Combined

 

Edited by Stickfig13

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This guy has a legit shot of hitting .300 with 30 HR with his K% so down.  The only thing I'm worried about is playing time (Getting traded to platoon, Angels falling out of contention, etc..)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, BustHerPosey said:

This guy has a legit shot of hitting .300 with 30 HR with his K% so down.  The only thing I'm worried about is playing time (Getting traded to platoon, Angels falling out of contention, etc..)

I’m worried about an 80 game suspension.

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, Stickfig13 said:

 

*Prior to this season. Combined

 

What is your point? That matching his career production in 100+ at bats is a complete fluke we should ignore? Help me understand what you're trying to argue.

Edited by AnonymousRob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, AnonymousRob said:

What is your point? That matching his career production in 100+ at bats is a complete fluke we should ignore? Help me understand what you're trying to argue.

 

He’s performing at a level that isn’t consistent with his entire career or pedigree.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Stickfig13 said:

 

He’s performing at a level that isn’t consistent with his entire career or pedigree.

Yes. I think we can all agree with that. My question is so what? Are you arguing we should ignore what he's done this year because it doesn't match his previous work?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sleeping on breakout seasons is definitely the way to win your league.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ride him while he's hot, fellas!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AnonymousRob said:

Yes. I think we can all agree with that. My question is so what? Are you arguing we should ignore what he's done this year because it doesn't match his previous work?

 

Do what you want. I’m not arguing anything. I’m just saying I’m not buying this as some sort of “breakout” or “must own” guy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Stickfig13 said:

 

Do what you want. I’m not arguing anything. I’m just saying I’m not buying this as some sort of “breakout” or “must own” guy. 

 

Not taking the bait here....but what constitutes a must-own player?

His current stat line looks something like...
113 AB, 11 HR, 25 RBI, 24 R, .301 AVG, .388 OBP, .611 SLG, .998 OPS, 13:8 BB/K ratio

Unless you're in an NL-only league, that is currently a must-own player. He has been on fire since he came back from his short absence. These are the types of guys who help glue together winning fantasy teams. What fascinates me the most about La Stella is he isn't going to strikeout, so if he has found a power stroke and is going to be hitting home runs and not striking out, that is very intriguing to me.

He has always been a good hitter who doesn't strike out. The power is a new thing, but it's hard to disregard at this point. He obviously made a conscious effort to change his approach, and it's working..

 

Edited by nlm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Stickfig13 said:

 

Do what you want. I’m not arguing anything. I’m just saying I’m not buying this as some sort of “breakout” or “must own” guy. 

He hit his first ever career opposite field homer the other night. He's hit 11 homers already after having what, 10 for his career? Call it what you will, but to dismiss him as being the same guy when he's undeniably giving different results smacks of deliberate and forceful levels of ignorance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

People act like no one has broken out at older ages. Yea it’s freakin’ weird, but it’s baseball. It’s happened before.

edit: I’m going to snag him hehehe

Edited by hangin n wangin
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, AnonymousRob said:

He hit his first ever career opposite field homer the other night. He's hit 11 homers already after having what, 10 for his career? Call it what you will, but to dismiss him as being the same guy when he's undeniably giving different results smacks of deliberate and forceful levels of ignorance.

 

Buy whatever you want after 100 AB. I’m guess I’m ignorant about this guy because I haven’t thought about him until today. Ever. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Stickfig13 said:

 

Buy whatever you want after 100 AB. I’m guess I’m ignorant about this guy because I haven’t thought about him until today. Ever. 

I think people are fully aware he could end up ****ting the bed the rest of the year. But if you have the room, why not pick him up and ride it till it dies. And if it doesn’t die, even better. Obviously not everyone may have the room to pick him up, but if you do... why wouldn’t you??

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, hangin n wangin said:

I think people are fully aware he could end up ****ting the bed the rest of the year. But if you have the room, why not pick him up and ride it till it dies. And if it doesn’t die, even better. Obviously not everyone may have the room to pick him up, but if you do... why wouldn’t you??

Because at least four promising prospects have just gotten the call in the past couple of days?  Just as a starting point?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, hangin n wangin said:

People act like no one has broken out at older ages. Yea it’s freakin’ weird, but it’s baseball. It’s happened before.

edit: I’m going to snag him hehehe

Honestly there’s always one player who ends up having a weird breakout season that most of the time becomes a one off. I remember everyone laughed at me in 2012 when I had both Chase Headley (31hr 115rbis at age 28) and Jason Kubel (30hr at age 30) because neither was expected to produce at the level they did nor did they ever come close to that level again. In 2016 I had Brad Miller which everyone was telling me was a waste of a roster spot and he hit 30hrs yet he’s not even roster-able on a big league roster anymore. I’m not saying LaStella is gonna crush close to 30hrs but 20-25 seems reasonable at the rate he’s going and if that’s good enough for you to roster for a guy who gives you multiple positions then go for it and enjoy the stats. But just know that most likely it’s a career year and not the start of something he will continue to do in his career. 

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Because at least four promising prospects have just gotten the call in the past couple of days?  Just as a starting point?

Yea. Can’t blame people going for them either. I haven’t picked up LaStella or any of the recent prospects, but as an Angel fan, I’m confused as hell on how LaStella is doing so well. I’m in the middle here. I could see the skepticism, but crazy things happen in baseball and it could be some weird year like Zach Cozart his last year in Cincy. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.