DerrickHenrysCleats

Josh Jacobs 2019 Outlook

Posted (edited)

Some of you need to be more patient; it's just week 4 of the guy's rookie season. If you drafted him as a starter then, well, you took a perceivable risk in relying on him for weekly production. Jacobs is a good player, but he's best utilized as spot starter at this stage. 

Edited by EaglesRocker97

3 hours ago, kretan182 said:

He needs to have his receiving role increased since the Raiders will be playing behind all season. Unfortunately, as others have previously mentioned, the Raiders are fine with have their backup RB's fill the pass catching duties instead. If you have a better FLEX or matchup on your bench, I would not start him against arguably the best defense in the league.

The bears don’t scare me with Chase Daniel at QB. I think it will be a close game so Jacobs should be involved, could see him score a td this week. 

2 hours ago, ohio#1eaglesfan said:

The bears don’t scare me with Chase Daniel at QB. I think it will be a close game so Jacobs should be involved, could see him score a td this week. 

Love the confidence. Chase Daniel is making me feel more confident in starting Jacobs

6 hours ago, EaglesRocker97 said:

Some of you need to be more patient; it's just week 4 of the guy's rookie season. If you drafted him as a starter then, well, you took a perceivable risk in relying on him for weekly production. Jacobs is a good player, but he's best utilized as spot starter at this stage. 

He was taken in the 3rd or 4th round of most drafts.  You're not taking a bench flier there.  You're taking a starter.

10 minutes ago, jamesisharden said:

I dont get the frustration. Hes like the 15th highest on-average RB in standard. RB2...right where you drafted him

My frustration comes from seeing him succeed in the receiving role and only getting 1-2 targets. He could and should be used more there w their lack of talent. But yes, he is at least performing to his pre draft ranking

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, jamesisharden said:

I dont get the frustration. Hes like the 15th highest on-average RB in standard. RB2...right where you drafted him

I get the frustration.  I think everyone that took him (and Sanders/Montgomery) were hoping he'd be one of those rookies that comes out and puts up consistent RB1 numbers. 

I'm happy with his production as my RB2, but Gruden really needs to find a way to get this guy the ball in space.  His receptions have been electric and the fact that the coaching staff can't figure out how to capitalize on that is just downright frustrating right now. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, itschief33 said:

My frustration comes from seeing him succeed in the receiving role and only getting 1-2 targets. He could and should be used more there w their lack of talent. But yes, he is at least performing to his pre draft ranking

23 minutes ago, K197040 said:

I get the frustration.  I think everyone that took him (and Sanders/Montgomery) were hoping he'd be one of those rookies that comes out and puts up consistent RB1 numbers. 

23 minutes ago, cizastro said:

I'm happy with his production as my RB2, but Gruden really needs to find a way to get this guy the ball in space.  His receptions have been electric and the fact that the coaching staff can't figure out how to capitalize on that is just downright frustrating right now. 

Well i agree. I guess entering week 5 i view that as "upside" and im excited more than frustrated. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, canonuevo said:

anyone know his value? Who would you aim for in a trade?

He's a buy low, but probably after the Bears matchup this week. 

He's definitely not a sell (low). You're gonna get terrible value for him right now. My guess would be a WR in the 20-25 range. Just not worth it. 

Just now, EaglesRocker97 said:

I didn't call him a flier, he's more than that. But I don't think you could draft him in good conscience thinking of him as an unquestioned weekly starter. A starter some weeks, yes, but for 16 games was wishful thinking. He was my 3rd RB taken.

That's great for you, unless the rest of your team is weak.  As I said, a 3rd or 4th round pick is usually expected to be a weekly starter, not a streamer.  That's, by definition, your expected 3rd or 4th best player.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Eaglesflyhigh11 said:

Love the confidence. Chase Daniel is making me feel more confident in starting Jacobs

Since when does Chase Daniel play defense?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, kdko said:

So you paid a 3rd-4th round pick, thinking he wasn't an unquestioned starter, when there were other RB's on the board who are weekly starts?  Odd.

I was fortunate enough to get him in the 5th round after going RB-WR-RB-WR just based on how the draft panned out. That felt like a steal. Had I drafted him earlier as my RB2, I would've been apprehensive enough about his reliability to draft a contingency.

Edited by EaglesRocker97

1 hour ago, BGDDYKWL said:

He's a buy low, but probably after the Bears matchup this week. 

He's definitely not a sell (low). You're gonna get terrible value for him right now. My guess would be a WR in the 20-25 range. Just not worth it. 

He’s a buy low but not a sell low? Huh? If a owner buys low the other owner obviously sold low? No?

5 minutes ago, Bugs bunny said:

He’s a buy low but not a sell low? Huh? If a owner buys low the other owner obviously sold low? No?

Well typically you obviously want to either sell high or buy low. If you're a Jacobs owner and you trade him you're selling him low, meaning you're gonna get very little in return. I just don't think it's worth it given both the upside that's still there, and how little you'd get. 

I read your post as you had Jacobs and you were looking to unload him. If you were asking because you were thinking of acquiring him I like it a lot. Bears this week, then a bye, that's two weeks a potentially already frustrated owner essentially can't use him. You might be able to get him quite cheap. 

2 hours ago, HarambeLives said:

Way over the head apparently 

2 hours ago, EaglesRocker97 said:

I was fortunate enough to get him in the 5th round after going RB-WR-RB-WR just based on how the draft panned out. That felt like a steal. Had I drafted him earlier as my RB2, I would've been apprehensive enough about his reliability to draft a contingency.

Regardless you got him to be a starter. Anyone you draft in like the first 6 rounds your counting on them to be a starter. Doesn’t matter if you already have 2 RB and 2WR. You drafted him in the 5th then he’s the first flex option in your case which is still a starter. If you didn’t think he’s going to make your line up you should have went with someone else. But I know probably 9/10 people drafted him to be in their line ups.

3 hours ago, HarambeLives said:

My thinking was this game will remain close, so Jacobs should stay involved. If we get a 1st in goal at the 1(penalty), I like his chances of getting in there. 

Posted (edited)

Isn't Roquan Smith also out ? Because the bears allowed quite a few points from the Minnesota RB last game, so i guess i'm trotting Jacobs out

Edit : Smith and Hicks were missing against Minnesota and the run defense was still pretty good, so i guess i'm back to my hesitation

Edited by egolam

2 hours ago, ohio#1eaglesfan said:

My thinking was this game will remain close, so Jacobs should stay involved. If we get a 1st in goal at the 1(penalty), I like his chances of getting in there. 

You cant trust either Gruden at this point. 

14 minutes ago, HarambeLives said:

You cant trust either Gruden at this point. 

I trust my eyes. Jacobs looks elite to me, he will be fine. 

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, StevenSC400 said:

Regardless you got him to be a starter. Anyone you draft in like the first 6 rounds your counting on them to be a starter. Doesn’t matter if you already have 2 RB and 2WR. You drafted him in the 5th then he’s the first flex option in your case which is still a starter. If you didn’t think he’s going to make your line up you should have went with someone else. But I know probably 9/10 people drafted him to be in their line ups.

We don't actually have a flex in my league. It's just 2 RB, 3 WR, and a TE. As a flex, I suppose he's fine. I'm generally just saying that the people panicking put a lot of stock in this guy being a surefire RB1/2. I just never had that level of confidence, but it wasn't for lack of talent. I generally just don't put that much stock in any rookie. There's usually too much uncertainty about how the their utilization and their team's situation will pan out over the course of a season. Buy into the potential, sure, but I think you need to hedge a bit on rookies.

Edited by EaglesRocker97