DerrickHenrysCleats

Josh Jacobs 2019 Outlook

Happy to invest in him this year. Regardless of how much Carr can suck those Ds will have to respect AB, which will definitely give Jacob's more room.. One of the updates I was happy to see was about being more involved in the passing game, definitely feel he could make a big time impact this year 

• Haha 2

That's where I think his value is, in combined yards. I don't expect much of a rush total, maybe eking out 1000 yds, but with Cook gone, Carr will need a short-range security blanket, esp if the OL isn't improved enough.

On 7/25/2019 at 4:07 PM, The G Man said:

Just heard today (from an old FF podcast from 7/1) that JJ is going to get A LOT of opportunities in Oakland. That they're gonna line him up all over (i.e., in the slot at times), and oh BTW...he was a QB in high school. They said he said in an interview that Gruden already has a package of plays installed for JJ to run the Wildcat. 

Thinking his arrow is definitely pointing up.

Nick Saban did that a ton.  Direct snaps to Jacobs were basically his short yardage offense the 2nd half of last year.  Makes perfect sense

Just watched Mike Mayock’s analysis of the RBs from the 2017 draft and he had a first round grade on Kamara who didn't go until the third round. This gives me some confidence that he’s got a good eye for talent at the RB position and that Jacobs could be very solid. But it’s still Gruden coaching and I don’t care for that. I just don’t know what to think here. 

13 minutes ago, daethfromabove1979 said:

Just watched Mike Mayock’s analysis of the RBs from the 2017 draft and he had a first round grade on Kamara who didn't go until the third round. This gives me some confidence that he’s got a good eye for talent at the RB position and that Jacobs could be very solid. But it’s still Gruden coaching and I don’t care for that. I just don’t know what to think here. 

Agree.  So many unknowns.  We saw with Gurley/Johnson what can happen with a great back in a bad system.  And as of now, Jacobs doesn't seem to be either of those guys. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, K197040 said:

Agree.  So many unknowns.  We saw with Gurley/Johnson what can happen with a great back in a bad system.  And as of now, Jacobs doesn't seem to be either of those guys. 

But Lynch was putting up solid numbers in this system last year and I expect the offense to take a step forward. I think Jacobs is more talented than 2018 Lynch. 

Edited by FinsUp24
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, FinsUp24 said:

But Lynch was putting up solid numbers in this system last year and I expect the offense to take a step forward. I think Jacobs is more talented than 2018 Lynch. 

It's a good point.  And in hindsight, I shouldn't have been comparing him to guys that are drafted in the 1st round of FF.  

Mixed right in there with Monty and Ingram as far as ADP. How are you guys feeling if AB misses games? I feel like without AB he loses a ton of value as defenses can just key in on him

I would avoid at all costs sans AB.

5 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Should get a look at him for the 1st time tonight.

Yup. Looking forward to it. 

Not one carry. Weird.

I was liking him initially but that team is such a train wreck I'm paranoid about any Raider. 

6 minutes ago, bomont said:

Not one carry. Weird.

I was liking him initially but that team is such a train wreck I'm paranoid about any Raider. 

No Carr  No Jacobs, Richard or Martin. No Williams.

Gruden is acting like this is a well knit vet team that doesn’t need time on the field together.  He’s either a savant or an idiot.

Oh he's an idiot make no mistake. This Gruden experiment I give 1 or 2 years, 3 at the very most if mgt is stubborn. 

But he scowls so well and talks confidently.......are you telling me he might actually be a complete con artist that got a bloated contract based on being semi-competent in a booth?!?!?!?

Nah, no way....

• Haha 1

On a more serious note, disappointed no Jacobs tonight. I have no idea where the heck I'm gonna slot this kid in my rankings 😕

• Like 1

16 hours ago, BMcP said:

I would avoid at all costs sans AB.

My thinking as well along with the losses the o-line has had already.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, kball09 said:

On a more serious note, disappointed no Jacobs tonight. I have no idea where the heck I'm gonna slot this kid in my rankings 😕

Well, you shouldn't be making those decisions based on an early preseason game anyway. 

1 hour ago, Mr.Joshua said:

My thinking as well along with the losses the o-line has had already.

? What losses?

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Chardo said:

Well, you shouldn't be making those decisions based on an early preseason game anyway. 

I like seeing players on the field vs NFL talent just to get an idea of how shifty/explosive they look. It isn't about their pre-season production. I assume Jacobs will translate but would like that peace of mind.Drafting next weekend so here's hoping next week is a bit more of a dress rehearsal.

Edited by kball09

I also was looking forward to seeing him in action. Very disappointed he didn't play last night. 

1 hour ago, kball09 said:

I like seeing players on the field vs NFL talent just to get an idea of how shifty/explosive they look. It isn't about their pre-season production. I assume Jacobs will translate but would like that peace of mind.Drafting next weekend so here's hoping next week is a bit more of a dress rehearsal.

Watching them play against guys running vanilla schemes who may not even make the league can only give a false sense of security. I've learned that preseason shows me nothing about how a player will perform.  I don't even watch anymore for scouting.  Just for getting the football juices flowing. 

2 minutes ago, The G Man said:

I also was looking forward to seeing him in action. Very disappointed he didn't play last night. 

better than watching him play and being disappointed...

Dec_01_2018_18_30_23.gif

3 minutes ago, Chardo said:

Watching them play against guys running vanilla schemes who may not even make the league can only give a false sense of security. I've learned that preseason shows me nothing about how a player will perform.  I don't even watch anymore for scouting.  Just for getting the football juices flowing. 

strange, i've found that for every full preseason game, there are 2-10 minutes of educational information to help a fantasy owner. just watched the chargers / cardinals game, and seeing kyler murray play confidently dispelled some of my concerns about both him and the WR corps. also, austin ekeler looked great (discounting a fumble on the 1).

besides, what else is there to do for fantasy? certainly better to watch pre-season than read some "expert's" opinion on the game...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bomont said:

? What losses?

From 2 days ago......Oakland Raiders starting right guard Gabe Jackson will be sidelined about eight weeks after injuring his left knee during Thursday's joint practice with the Los Angeles Rams.

Jackson was taken off the field on a cart after the injury and owner Mark Davis went into the locker room shortly after that for almost 15 minutes.

Jackson, a third-round pick in 2014, is a key part of Oakland's offensive line and the team's longest-tenured player alongside quarterback Derek Carr and defensive tackle Justin Ellis. He received a five-year, $56 million extension in 2017 and is being counted on to be a big part of Carr's protection this season.

The Raiders already will be without starting left guard Richie Incognito for the first two regular-season games because of a suspension, and top backup Denzelle Good is expected to miss the start of the season after undergoing back surgery.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Chardo said:

Fair enough, agree to disagree. It certainly isn't where the meat of my opinion comes from by any means, but it does add to the overall picture for me. I've gotten caught in some hype trains sight unseen in the past where

1 hour ago, Sack Exchange said:

better than watching him play and being disappointed...

Dec_01_2018_18_30_23.gif

strange, i've found that for every full preseason game, there are 2-10 minutes of educational information to help a fantasy owner. just watched the chargers / cardinals game, and seeing kyler murray play confidently dispelled some of my concerns about both him and the WR corps. also, austin ekeler looked great (discounting a fumble on the 1).

besides, what else is there to do for fantasy? certainly better to watch pre-season than read some "expert's" opinion on the game...

As a UGA fan, the less I can be reminded about those Bama games, the better....

And I agree on your second point. I don't make or break an opinion based on pre-season but it can certainly shore up some opinions if I'm investing a high to mid round pick on somebody. Taking a flier on a guy with college talent, no issue. Using a third rounder? Nah, I'd rather see at least a little NFL action, vanilla or not.

• Like 2