nlm

CL values? Did I get a fair deal?

Posted (edited)

I'm never sure when looking at closers, but today I proposed my Marcus Semien to a very SS/MI needy team and in return got Edwin Diaz.

I thought it was a slam dunk, until I realized that Semien has lead my team in both runs and hits this year so far.

It always seems hard to finger a closer's value, and Diaz is a better one, but I'm still wondering if I did all right here. From prices paid, a $1 pick was all Semien initially was. But he has been rock solid. My main UTL/MI is now Tim Beckham, which isn't horrible.

Opinions? WHIR

Edited by nlm

1 minute ago, seditious3 said:

I think you did fine.

Thanks. I second-guess trades all of the time (sans the Aguilar deal I somehow managed....), and with Semien having such a nice season, part of me wonders if I should have offered Beckham or aimed for a SP in return. It's hard to tell what is worth what when trading for a closer straight up.

19 minutes ago, seditious3 said:

I think you did fine.

Understatement. It’s a steal. He just traded a SS just barely above the WW for a top 5 closer.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I find something useful: prey on teams lower in the standings.

Guy was in dead last and had a team that looked much better than it has done. Featuring Mike Trout and Vladdy Jr. to boot.

I still have a hard time finding out the value in saves or closers, though.

Edited by nlm

Yea I think Semien is due for regression and you got a great great pitcher. This is a good trade

• Thanks 1

I think you did great. Diaz is one of the only closers that has a pretty firm lock on his role with a super long leash, not that it would ever come to that as he is a pretty dominant closer. If there was any close to get he would be the top target, so you made out well. 

Thanks for the help on mine. 

• Thanks 1

Keep in mind Diaz's tremendous value in ERA, WHIP, and Ks.  He's worth way more than a second-tier closer like Raisel Iglesias or Wade Davis.  Excellent move on your part.

• Thanks 1

Thanks fellas. I always second-guess my deals but I've been on a roll lately (somehow unloaded Aguilar just before this one).

Dude, it's a freakin steal.  You shouldn't lose any sleep.  Good work!

Diaz is a one of a kind...an irreplaceable difference maker. A guy like simien can be cloned on the waiver wire in most standard leagues. You shohld be happy,not worried.

I think you did well.  Good deal for you.

I agree...it's hard to figure a closers value since they only help in saves and K's.  Having Diaz will help you a lot more than Semien, so it's a good deal IMO

• Thanks 1

Thanks everyone. I'm happy with the deal.

Semien will conitnue to be a fine hitter/player, but your return is very solid.  Considering you have Tim Anderson as your backup, I think you'll be just fine and I would've made that move too.

4 hours ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

If I were the manger with Diaz I would have laughed at this offer..it was a joke

I'll take that as a positive then.

3 hours ago, Sharkman1414 said:

I think you did well.  Good deal for you.

I agree...it's hard to figure a closers value since they only help in saves and K's.  Having Diaz will help you a lot more than Semien, so it's a good deal IMO

Yeah, closers value is really hard to finger. I never want to overpay, but at the same time I don't know when I'm underpaying.