Sign in to follow this  
Bobby Blue

John Means 2019 Outlook

O's lefty long reliever/starter has been confirmed for a rotation spot after his last start when he threw 92 pitches over 5 innings vs CWS while giving up 1 ER with 6 Ks. On the season he has 20.2 IP with a 1.74 ERA, 3.30 fip, 4.16 xfip, 10.02 K/9, 2.61 BB/9, 0.87 HR/9.

What's interesting is this:

Among pitchers with 20 IP, he has a swstr% of 15.3%, currently good for 6th, between Caleb Smith and Paxton. He throws a 92 mph FB 55% of the time, but his 80 mph changeup is his main source of Ks (about 32% usage). He also has the lowest hard% in mlb (by far) at 16.4% (2nd on the list is Strasburg with 22.1%) so when batters are making contact, they're not fully squaring up the ball very much. Lefties are batting .143 vs him (16 TBF), righties .228 (70 TBF).

*After his last game, Means told reporters he needs to pitch more efficiently to go deeper in the game and manager Brandon Hyde was happy he also started mixing more breaking stuff into the mix so batters weren't "sitting on just 2 pitches." Hyde said they might go to 6 man rotation at some point, but Means has taken David Hess's rotation spot for the time being.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the post. Good find.  Ill definately keep an eye on him.  Someone s gonna say it so it may as well be me. Too bad hes on the worst team in the history of sports.

Posted (edited)

His success has come from mostly ditching his cement mixer slider in favor of going heavy Fastball/Change. His breaking balls are garbage. 

He does legit have 2 pitches that get whiffs though. Which is more then i can say about any other Orioles Starter. If he can start hitting his curve for strikes, there is some hope as a show me pitch to keep hitters honest.

Think he sticks out the year in the Rotation. Just because everyone else is a pile of crap and he has legit potential with the FB/CH in toe.  Orioles Offense is better then the Marlins at least.

Edited by Slatykamora
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, johnnyboy8102 said:

Two starts next week and is worth a look. 

First start against the Pale Hose, maybe. 

Second start is against Blake Snell. Might want to look elsewhere.

Does anybody have some insight on this guy? I haven't seen him pitch a single inning, but he's constantly staring at me from the WW and his ownership % keeps rising. His basic stats look solid... 

it's hard for me to get too excited about an Orioles pitcher right now, though.

Bumping this up.  Not a lot of chat on this guy.  With Smith heading to the DL, I went in search of a serviceable fill in and this guy's ERA & WHIP are just staring me in the face.  Looks like he's on a nice run of starts here.

Any deep divers with a take on this dude?

10 minutes ago, 89Topps said:

Bumping this up.  Not a lot of chat on this guy.  With Smith heading to the DL, I went in search of a serviceable fill in and this guy's ERA & WHIP are just staring me in the face.  Looks like he's on a nice run of starts here.

as of now his numbers are really nice. however in QS leagues, QS is something you more than likely wont get from him. Wins is a maybe. Ratios are nice.

4 minutes ago, mlb2019 said:

as of now his numbers are really nice. however in QS leagues, QS is something you more than likely wont get from him. Wins is a maybe. Ratios are nice.

4 of his last 6 starts have been QS

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, 89Topps said:

I've been using him in decent matchups since his first couple of weeks. 

I watched him and liked the fastball command and the change up movement.   Also sequences pitches well.  I'm curious to see how he does seeing teams a second time as he only had two pitches (his breaking balls stink) but until then I'll continue to use him. 

• Thanks 2

Anyone know when he's due back?  ESPN had a blurb about it, but it's not there anymore cause, you know...ESPN.

2 hours ago, 89Topps said:

Anyone know when he's due back?  ESPN had a blurb about it, but it's not there anymore cause, you know...ESPN.

Mlb.com quoted him as saying he only expects to miss one start.

• Thanks 1

Means somehow having a terrific season thus far for the O's. 

69 Ks in 82 innings, 2.50 ERA, 1.077 ERA. How's he doing it?

Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, strahanfan92 said:

I think it Means he's a good pitcher...my dude...John Means "Business"...

Edited by dfstout
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, strahanfan92 said:

Elite changeup.  Same way Ryu is getting it done.  These Hulkian sluggers sit up there waiting for juiced fastballs to swing out of shoes on and hit.  Not many guys can sit back and wait on changeups.  

• Like 2

All well and good, but if i had shares i'd be selling....His change up is pure filth i will acknowledge that... but how long until that 2.50 turns closer to 4.00? fip 3.93 xfip 5.14 sierra 4.67

his strand rate isnt likely to remain 81% he's not an elite K guy (7.5/9) n with a 47% Fly ball rate, its only a matter of time before those fly balls start finding the seats in Camden

im not saying sell for anything. but hes the perfect guy to move to cover up a hole in your roster

13 minutes ago, MichiganxTrumbull said:

All well and good, but if i had shares i'd be selling....His change up is pure filth i will acknowledge that... but how long until that 2.50 turns closer to 4.00? fip 3.93 xfip 5.14 sierra 4.67

his strand rate isnt likely to remain 81% he's not an elite K guy (7.5/9) n with a 47% Fly ball rate, its only a matter of time before those fly balls start finding the seats in Camden

im not saying sell for anything. but hes the perfect guy to move to cover up a hole in your roster

The problem with a guy like Means is outside of deep and AL leagues you're not getting anything for him in a trade.  At least in the leagues I play in, no one is giving up anything of value for a guy who came out of no where on a bad team in a hitters park. Everyone is expecting him to regress.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, rag9876 said:

Should know better than to stream this guy in the playoffs. Smh

If you knew better you would've been enjoying his quality most the season!