Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

spundin

Neftali Feliz

This is from BP on 6/16/2008

Neftali Feliz, RHP, Low-A Clinton (Rangers)

It's hard to remain professional when talking about Feliz. When I ranked him as the No. 3 prospect in the Braves system at the end of 2006, I got a ton of emails calling me a moron, or worse. When I ranked him as the No. 1 prospect in the Rangers system this year, those emails continued. He was too young, too unproven, too risky. Now, every time he pitches I have to restrain myself from just saying, "I told you so." Feliz had arguably his best start of the year on Saturday, allowing only one hit over 5 1/3 innings while striking out 13 to lower his ERA to 2.24. As impressive as that is, keep in mind that he took a while to find his groove for Clinton. In his last 10 starts, he's given up just six earned runs in 52 innings (1.04 ERA), while allowing 31 hits and striking out 65. I've gone on and on about his stuff in other places, so I'll just say, "I told you so."

As of now 6/23/2008, his last start had to be his best yet...

His #'s in his last 3 starts have been down right scary.

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/st...&pid=491703

His FB lives in the mid 90's and can get it up to 99 even. Projects to have a plus change-up and an above curve.

I'll still take Cahill over him, although, you cannot argue w/the #’s. he has been nasty.

I'll still take Cahill over him, although, you cannot argue w/the #’s. he has been nasty.

Yeah I agree. He does have these numbers in Lower A ball. I'd like to see him get moved up and see how he fairs.

Yeah I agree. He does have these numbers in Lower A ball. I'd like to see him get moved up and see how he fairs.

His pure stuff, is sick though, if he dominates in High A, he will def. be opening even more eyes.

How old is he? Ive heard hes the rangers closer of the future, but they need SP help...

How old is he? Ive heard hes the rangers closer of the future, but they need SP help...

Haven't heard anything about closer. He's 20 currently.

Yeah his stuff is nasty, although I remember reading something him needing to bulk up or something, not sure if it was him.

But his 3 pitches are nasty.

Yeah If I remember correctly, he weighs like 165 or something

Edit: Nvm thats Engel Beltre, but Feliz is 6'3 180

Neftali Feliz is an outstanding prospect who has absolute filthy velocity. I wouldn't want to compare him to Trevor Cahill due to age and league difference, but if we are talking tools, Cahill isn't even close. Let's just hope that "Rangers Pitching Prospect" doesn't curse him to FB hell.

Interesting discussion somewhere about how the Rangers probably for some reason *can't* develop SP's, given how they succeed the moment they leave that organization - the stadium, the heat, the pitching philosophy, whatever. I mean seriously, look at the latest case examples besides Volquez - Danks, Chris Young, and I'm sure I'm missing others.

I only point out the above because Feliz, if he keeps this kind of development up 1 more season, will seriously test that notion. For his age & level of competition, I don't believe the DVD trio, or anyone in recent memory, has his kind of upside *and* performance so far.

I have to hand it to BP - they called him their #1 guy in a talent-rich Texas organization, and most of us laughed at them. Color me impressed with the level of their scouting.

I did not laugh at Kevin Goldstein. I swiftly picked Feliz up.

I picked him up 3 days ago in my dynasty league. Right after I did one of the other top managers emailed me cursing at me. In a good way of course. It always makes you feel good when the top managers in the league get upset that you beat them to a pickup.

Right now I have locked up

David Price

Laporta

Neftali Feliz

Delois Guerra

Fernando Martinez

Andew McClutchen

Travis Snider

Rick Porcello

Chris Marrero

I picked him up 3 days ago in my dynasty league. Right after I did one of the other top managers emailed me cursing at me. In a good way of course. It always makes you feel good when the top managers in the league get upset that you beat them to a pickup.

Right now I have locked up

David Price

Laporta

Neftali Feliz

Delois Guerra

Fernando Martinez

Andew McClutchen

Travis Snider

Rick Porcello

Chris Marrero

Nice!

guerra, eh...

Is Desmond Mason avail?

Jhoulys Chacin?

Jaime Garcia?

Would rather have.

Feliz could very well wind up closing, but he's done nothing so far that indicates he couldn't make it as a starter. He's been working hard on his offspeed stuff, particularly the change. Most of his K's so far have actually come on the change. Scouts are saying right now that his change can very easily be a plus pitch that compliments his plus plus FB. Read this if you have a BP subscription: http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=7468

One of the cooler things I read about Feliz was from Clinton's manager. He said that, if Neftali wanted, he could throw all fastballs and pitch a CG 3/4 hitter every single time right now.

I don't really get the dig about "Rangers Pitching Prospect". Between Feliz, Hurley, Beaven, Main, Kiker, Ramirez, Harrison, Gomez, Reed, Poveda, Martin Perez, Hunter, Diamond, Holland, Castillo, Font, and Ross (assuming he signs), Texas has the deepest group of pitching prospects in baseball. However cynical you want to be about prior mistakes, some of those have to hit.

"Rangers pitching prospect" has nothing to do with the guys you mention. It has everything to do with one actually pitching in the majors for the Rangers, and not someone else, and succeeding, for let's say, one season. Name one. You can't, because they've all been traded away.

Between Feliz and Wilmer Font, they have a couple of filthy starters in low ball. Texas is a team to look out for if a few of the ready to go prospects pan out.

"Rangers pitching prospect" has nothing to do with the guys you mention. It has everything to do with one actually pitching in the majors for the Rangers, and not someone else, and succeeding, for let's say, one season. Name one. You can't, because they've all been traded away.

I don't disagree with that. What I said is, despite past mistakes, the Rangers have still managed to assemble a ridiculous amount of good young pitching. I severely doubt that even the Rangers couldn't produce at least one effective big league starter out of that group.

Wish he was available to pick up and stash in my cbssportsline league!

He is. Your commissioner can add any player you want.

It's not a question of producing them, it's a question of keeping them, or more unfortunately for them, whether the playing for the major league team is the bane of their success.

Because?