Mr2Saint

David Montgomery 2019 Outlook

The Bears trade up to acquire the young Iowa State RB with their first pick of the 2019 NFL draft. The Montgomery/Kareem Hunt comparisons are for real, and if there's a coach that knows Kareem Hunt, it's Bears HC Matt Nagy.

“He’s the whole package,” Nagy said. “He has the hands. He’s a three-down back. He’s everything we were looking for.” The head coach’s praise for Montgomery was heartfelt Saturday night. Nagy called his new running back “the whole package.” And after lauding Montgomery’s reliable hands, ability to make defenders miss and toughness, Nagy spent twice as much time highlighting the genuineness of his work ethic and ambition.

“He’s about as real a person as there is,” Nagy said. “Very authentic, very passionate.”

We know Cohen will have a role in the offense, but the path to touches for Montgomery doesn't seem as murky as some of the other rookie RBs. Looks like it'll be a training camp battle to watch between newly signed Mike Davis and Montgomery for lead duties.

• Like 1

I'm torn on this guy. Woulda liked to see someone more explosive land in chicago.

If he is actually used on all 3 downs he could be the steal of draft in real life and fantasy.. or he could suck. 

Montgomery's 4.63 40 and getting caught from behind every time do not excite.  And, we've seen how (little) Nagy values his running game.  I am going to pass on this kid.

2 hours ago, Mr2Saint said:

The Bears trade up to acquire the young Iowa State RB with their first pick of the 2019 NFL draft. The Montgomery/Kareem Hunt comparisons are for real, and if there's a coach that knows Kareem Hunt, it's Bears HC Matt Nagy.

“He’s the whole package,” Nagy said. “He has the hands. He’s a three-down back. He’s everything we were looking for.” The head coach’s praise for Montgomery was heartfelt Saturday night. Nagy called his new running back “the whole package.” And after lauding Montgomery’s reliable hands, ability to make defenders miss and toughness, Nagy spent twice as much time highlighting the genuineness of his work ethic and ambition.

“He’s about as real a person as there is,” Nagy said. “Very authentic, very passionate.”

We know Cohen will have a role in the offense, but the path to touches for Montgomery doesn't seem as murky as some of the other rookie RBs. Looks like it'll be a training camp battle to watch between newly signed Mike Davis and Montgomery for lead duties.

Same HC who said Howard would be used in the passing game. . .🤣

Wherever he is drafted this year, I guarantee he is drafted higher next year.  This kid is special and is in a prime spot. Nothing to fear. Coaches wanted to take work away from Cohen cuz his ball security sucks. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Montgomery's 4.63 40 and getting caught from behind every time do not excite.  And, we've seen how (little) Nagy values his running game.  I am going to pass on this kid.

Kareem Hunt clocked a 4.62 40. . .🤫

Personally I think they should clock rb's by having someone chase them down the track their in game speed is usually faster than their track speed🤣

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, dashoe said:

Personally I think they should clock rb's by having someone chase them down the track their in game speed is usually faster than their track speed🤣

Kareem hunt is everyone's comp with this guy. Lev bell doesnt exactly break away from people either so break away speed is more of a luxury not a need.

In his highlights he looks like an all world running back until he is chased down 20 yards later lol. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, dashoe said:

Or for Chiefs players, have cops chase them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

Led the ncaa in forced-missed tackles 2 years in a row...makes the 1st tackler miss 41% of the time.  

Played behind what has been noted as a horrible offensive line.

It will be worth watching what he can do with space.

2 hours ago, psygolf said:

Led the ncaa in forced-missed tackles 2 years in a row...makes the 1st tackler miss 41% of the time.  

Played behind what has been noted as a horrible offensive line.

It will be worth watching what he can do with space.

That is an insane %. He is so hard to take down. Exactly the sort of guy who you give the ball to inside the 5. Especially with what looks like a solid run o line. If Nagy is willing to get less cutesy around the end zone I could see 10+ TDs for Montgomery. 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

I am going to pass on this kid.

Wouldn't you want to find out where he'll be drafted before you make a decision like that?

Edited by RMJ_12

7 hours ago, Lord_Varys said:

Wherever he is drafted this year, I guarantee he is drafted higher next year.  This kid is special and is in a prime spot. Nothing to fear. Coaches wanted to take work away from Cohen cuz his ball security sucks. 

I see very little receiving work for him, which is a bit worrying for an NFL RB, but even more so for Fantasy purposes. How are his real life receiving skills? 

7 hours ago, Boudewijn said:

I see very little receiving work for him, which is a bit worrying for an NFL RB, but even more so for Fantasy purposes. How are his real life receiving skills? 

58 receptions the last 2 seasons.

Most scouts have really touted his hands. Nagy praised him for his soft hands. He’s a natural in the pass game, from what I’ve seen and read. 

• Like 3

I'm a fan.  Short of a Tarik injury or a beast preseason, i think he'll be relatively low cost.    Plenty of positives and reason to think he'll be productive if he can get in the lineup.  That's all you really want with a bench RB right?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Boudewijn said:

I see very little receiving work for him, which is a bit worrying for an NFL RB, but even more so for Fantasy purposes

I think the Bears decided on the essentially Howard for Montgomery swap specifically because they wanted a 1st/2nd down RB who could catch. Howard's a fine runner, but his non-fit with Nagy was because Nagy wants all his RBs to catch the ball. Cohen caught 71 last season and Howard still caught 20.

Assuming Montgomery takes the lion's share of early down work, I'd project 70 for Cohen and 35-40 for Montgomery. I think Nagy wanted to throw to his RBs more, but didn't because of Howard. But now he will so they pie will be bigger.

35 minutes ago, andypro77 said:

I think the Bears decided on the essentially Howard for Montgomery swap specifically because they wanted a 1st/2nd down RB who could catch. Howard's a fine runner, but his non-fit with Nagy was because Nagy wants all his RBs to catch the ball. Cohen caught 71 last season and Howard still caught 20.

Assuming Montgomery takes the lion's share of early down work, I'd project 70 for Cohen and 35-40 for Montgomery. I think Nagy wanted to throw to his RBs more, but didn't because of Howard. But now he will so they pie will be bigger.

how is his pass protection? We know Davis knows how to pick up pass protect and can catch too. Anyone see davis taking the howard role early season and the rookie taking over say midseason?

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, dashoe said:

how is his pass protection? We know Davis knows how to pick up pass protect and can catch too. Anyone see davis taking the howard role early season and the rookie taking over say midseason?

Maybe if Monty had not been an early starter and if he had simply fallen to the bear in the draft. 

There are things to prove now after letting Howard go for nothing...to a playoff competitor.

Davis has only been a starter by default, he will have to come out blazing to get the starting nod...possible though.

Edited by psygolf

2 hours ago, BrianM said:

I'm a fan.  Short of a Tarik injury or a beast preseason, i think he'll be relatively low cost.    Plenty of positives and reason to think he'll be productive if he can get in the lineup.  That's all you really want with a bench RB right?

But Montgomery is not going to be available at a bench-RB price.  He'll be drafted as a team's RB2-3 in competitive leagues.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

But Montgomery is not going to be available at a bench-RB price.  He'll be drafted as a team's RB2-3 in competitive leagues.  

2nd level Rb is deep...it would take a great showing in preseason for him to be drafted higher than a flex play.

10 hours ago, Boudewijn said:

Better than Cohen's. The only things Cohen has on him are experience and speed.

12 hours ago, sleepysock said:

That is an insane %. He is so hard to take down. Exactly the sort of guy who you give the ball to inside the 5. Especially with what looks like a solid run o line. If Nagy is willing to get less cutesy around the end zone I could see 10+ TDs for Montgomery. 

Exactly. 

Always pay attention to draft capital.  If a team moves up to get a guy on Day 1 or 2, pay attention.

And by the way, watch Montgomery's film.  This guy is a complete stud.

Legit RB1 potential here, folks.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Lord_Varys said:

Always pay attention to draft capital.  If a team moves up to get a guy on Day 1 or 2, pay attention.

And by the way, watch Montgomery's film.  This guy is a complete stud.

Legit RB1 potential here, folks.

Nagy was also part of the KC staff that moved up to grab Kareem Hunt in the 3rd, so that would also be a clue as to intent for Montgomery

23 minutes ago, psygolf said:

2nd level Rb is deep...it would take a great showing in preseason for him to be drafted higher than a flex play.

My best guess is that he'd go where Mike Davis had been going, which FFC says is the 8th round.  However, ive been playfully doing mocks over the past week, and Davis usually was there later as far as I've noticed.   I think it'll depend on the league.   I can see him being a clear backup for me in my most shallow league.  However my most competitive redraft league won't be anywhere close to that.  

30 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

Better than Cohen's. The only things Cohen has on him are experience and speed.

Idk...Cohen has suitcase-hands, his only downgrade is his small catch radius