Mr2Saint

David Montgomery 2019 Outlook

Posted (edited)

Reid on Williams:

"I did a little bit of that back when I was in Philadelphia," Reid said. " Kind of a running back by committee deal and we had some success with it. We’ll do that here.

Montgomery has more upside in my opinion and is cheaper to this point.

Edited by Spyplane

23 minutes ago, HTM said:

I'm thinking Damien Williams. I want the starting RB for the most high-powered offense in the NFL. 

The chances are very high that at some point into the season the D. Thompson Hype gets real and Williams is not worth the high pick you have to use him.

Montgomery is by far my more favored player of those two

I wonder what we're looking at in terms of touches.

Had Howard last year, and it really seemed like he just didn't get the ball.  Turns out, he had 250 (inefficient) carries and 20 rec.

So I guess if we give Monty Howard's 250 carries, and add (what, 20 rec?), that brings us to 290.  Let's round up to 300, a solid-to-average number for a primary back.

If he can do that and hit 5 yards/touch (what Chubb did weeks 7-17), that's 1500 for the year.  Give him double digit TDs, and we're looking at borderline RB1.

Hmm, might've changed my own opinion here

10 minutes ago, Grayson2401 said:

Damien is more likely to be a league-winner in that offense but he is also more likely to lose work or his job completely. 

It would depend on your roster after the first couple of rounds but I would probably lean toward taking someone else in RD2/3ish and getting Montgomery in the next round if possible. 

With all the hype, I doubt Montgomery gets to the 4th.  Last few mock drafts I've done he is always taken in the 3rd somewhere.

Posted (edited)

That last news bit is going to send the hype-train into ludicrous speed!

Yahoo Sports' Terez Paylor reports the Bears are "in love" with rookie RB David Montgomery.

Paylor believes Montgomery "will help this team immediately" with his receiving skills and his ability to break tackles. The Bears wouldn't have traded up for Montgomery if they didn't think he'd play right away, but it's worth noting who he'd be taking touches from. Tarik Cohen has proven to be a plus-pass catcher and Mike Davis was effective on a decent-sized workload last year. For Montgomery to pay off his ADP, he'll need to lead this backfield touches by a decent margin. It sounds like the Bears hope that happens.

Edited by Dead Money
  • Haha 1

We've done Damien vs. Monty, what about Henry vs. Monty?

23 minutes ago, Dead Money said:

That last news bit is going to send the hype-train into ludicrous speed!

Yahoo Sports' Terez Paylor reports the Bears are "in love" with rookie RB David Montgomery.

Paylor believes Montgomery "will help this team immediately" with his receiving skills and his ability to break tackles. The Bears wouldn't have traded up for Montgomery if they didn't think he'd play right away, but it's worth noting who he'd be taking touches from. Tarik Cohen has proven to be a plus-pass catcher and Mike Davis was effective on a decent-sized workload last year. For Montgomery to pay off his ADP, he'll need to lead this backfield touches by a decent margin. It sounds like the Bears hope that happens.

Yeah.  By the time the season starts, we won't be talking about how he's a steal in the 4th or 5th.  We'll be talking about how he is a DND in the 2nd.

• Like 1

I dunno - still sounds like a mess.  We heard the same thing about Jordan Howard last offseason about his "hands" and how Howard would be a bellcow yet we all know how that turned out. 

Cohen is a dangerous player who just demands snaps/touches in this offense.  Then you have a very capable back in Mike Davis...there's just too many quality mouths to feed at the end of the day.

Not comparing Howard to Montgomery but the situation seems very similar.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, smeeze said:

Monty easy for me.  I've learned my lesson to avoid 2 down bangers in crappy offenses.  And although he had a sick few games to end the season, I don't see Henry as more than a 2 down banger on a crappy offense.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ludawg23 said:

I dunno - still sounds like a mess.  We heard the same thing about Jordan Howard last offseason about his "hands" and how Howard would be a bellcow yet we all know how that turned out. 

Maybe Nagy and the CS legitimately believed Howard could be that guy prior to the season. Turned out they were wrong, so they shipped him off and drafted a guy they feel is much more in line with what their offense asks for from an RB.

"There's this notion that he is just a first- and second-down back, and I don't believe that," Bears coach Matt Nagy said of Howard on Saturday. "Jordan can play all three downs. We're going to do that. We're going to use him and we're going to use other guys on first and second down when we need to.

"It's important for Jordan to know and for everybody on our offense to know that he's a big part of this. This kid's had a very successful career so far. We're crazy as coaches if we don't understand it and if we don't use that to our advantage."

Yeah, sounds familiar...

• Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, smeeze said:

Maybe Nagy and the CS legitimately believed Howard could be that guy prior to the season. Turned out they were wrong, so they shipped him off and drafted a guy they feel is much more in line with what their offense asks for from an RB.

So there's really two conclusions.

1. Nagy blows smoke out of his a**

2. What you mention is true and he is a bad evaluator of a guys fit and talent

Not saying this is the case with Montgomery but i'm not buying anthing whatsoever from this coaching staff.

1 minute ago, Gohawks said:

So there's really two conclusions.

1. Nagy blows smoke out of his a**

2. What you mention is true and he is a bad evaluator of a guys fit and talent

Not saying this is the case with Montgomery but i'm not buying anthing whatsoever from this coaching staff.

At this point I'll believe Pete Carroll and Jon Gruden spoutings of sunshine over Nagy's any day...If I'm wrong I will draft Montgomery next year but fool me once...

Ranking hyperbolic coach's rbs in order:

Jacobs

Carson

Montgomery

I still think they use all 3 backs. Davis isn't gonna just not get carries. hes actually a decent back. Cohen will be on the field a lot. Monty will get a share but it may start really low like 3-4 a game for now. imo.

Fantasy footballers should never listen/read to CS ... I always draft guys, I want and see.

All this blowharding going on in this thread is hilarious. You sure can tell who is in love with Montgomery. 

Wash rinse repeat ...blah blah 

42 minutes ago, smeeze said:

Henry was a complete bust until the tail end of the season where the only people who are likely starting him were people who didn't have any choice.

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

"There's this notion that he is just a first- and second-down back, and I don't believe that," Bears coach Matt Nagy said of Howard on Saturday. "Jordan can play all three downs. We're going to do that. We're going to use him and we're going to use other guys on first and second down when we need to.

"It's important for Jordan to know and for everybody on our offense to know that he's a big part of this. This kid's had a very successful career so far. We're crazy as coaches if we don't understand it and if we don't use that to our advantage."

Yeah, sounds familiar...

You're quoting this like it's a bad thing. Jordan Howard got 270 touches last year and was an RB2 in Standard and PPR leagues. David Montgomery is a more athletic Jordan Howard. You give him the same amount of touches you gave Howard and you're looking at an RB who has top 12 potential. 

Edited by GurleyTHIRTY
  • Like 1

Looking back, Jordan Howard started the year getting fed and then just looked like crap. 15 carries 5 catches, 14 carries 3 catches, 24 carries 2 catches, and he failed to impress turned into a committee from there.

Like all these threads, all we can do is speculate. We do not truly know anything, and all the expert opinions and coach speak counts for little.. Nobody knows yet, most likely even Nagy doesn't know yet what hes going to do in terms of splits/how effective DM will be in the big leagues. It depends on how it goes in the first few games. If DM balls out, and I think he will, that obviously means they are going to use him more and more. Thats the bet you gotta make.,

The choice is pretty simple when drafting this guy, you are taking a substantial chance, and betting on the huge upside he seems to have... vs. going with proven players that we have a fairly good outlook on what they can do.

So to me it comes down to your draft, if you got the solid guy you know what to expect from, DM to me is a great upside pick, but I wouldn't draft him as your number 1 RB. If his ADP gets so high he is an RB1 option then I'm outie.

17 minutes ago, GurleyTHIRTY said:

You're quoting this like it's a bad thing. Jordan Howard got 270 touches last year and was an RB2 in Standard and PPR leagues. David Montgomery is a more athletic Jordan Howard. You give him the same amount of touches you gave Howard and you're looking at an RB who has top 12 potential. 

This.  

28 minutes ago, beauforsure said:

I still think they use all 3 backs. Davis isn't gonna just not get carries. hes actually a decent back. Cohen will be on the field a lot. Monty will get a share but it may start really low like 3-4 a game for now. imo.

Definitely NOT this.

The most helpful part of these forums to me is getting opinions from local fans of given teams.  As a diehard Bear fan, allow me to provide my local view on Monty.  He is the Bears RB.  2018 Howard is his floor.  If he has anything less than 15 touches week 1 against Green Bay, I will be shocked and will never again post because of how dumb I am.  I actually think he'll get 18+ but hedged a little bit to increase my chances of not being dumb

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, KB24MVP said:

The chances are very high that at some point into the season the D. Thompson Hype gets real and Williams is not worth the high pick you have to use him.

What makes the chances ‘very high’ that we see Thompson? There is a chance, I’ll give you that, but very high? Is the Thompson hype train gonna run off the tracks and crash into Williams’s knee?

Fact is, Williams could ball out the first couple of games. In fact I’d say that’s probable, considering it’s exactly what he did last year. At which point it would likely require an injury for Thompson to take over, which makes him no different than all the other lotto tickets. I like Thompson too, but let’s not act like he’s completely free of downside and guaranteed to just walk into a starting spot.

I would still take Williams over Montgomery, but I’d make sure I got Thompson as a handcuff.

Posted (edited)

Someone help me out. Where would 1050 rushing yards, 7 rushing touchdowns, 40 catches, 320 receiving yards, and 3 receiving touchdowns placed him among running backs last year? 237 points I believe that is. PPR. 

Edited by Ryansm11

4 minutes ago, Ryansm11 said:

Someone help me out. Where would 1050 rushing yards, 7 rushing touchdowns, 40 catches, 320 receiving yards, and 3 receiving touchdowns placed him among running backs last year? 

In Full PPR/6 pts per TD: 237 overall points (14.8 avg if he played 16 games) RB13

Consider me crazy, but I’m debating between Kerryon and D Mont for my draft this weekend. I think it’s a close call in my eyes

1 minute ago, nonstopfan said:

In Full PPR/6 pts per TD: 237 overall points (14.8 avg if he played 16 games) RB13

I’d say that’s his ceiling this year.