Mr2Saint

David Montgomery 2019 Outlook

17 minutes ago, pdog109 said:

Are yall starting him week 1?

How much confidence do we have that Nagy won't be dumb and keep running Mike Davis. I hate Nagy I don't trust what he says.

I want to start DM but if have to see what moronic moves Nagy will be up to first.

I am, and even though I love the guy, I’m a bit nervous. 

28 minutes ago, pdog109 said:

How much confidence do we have that Nagy won't be dumb and keep running Mike Davis. I hate Nagy I don't trust what he says.

I want to start DM but if have to see what moronic moves Nagy will be up to first.

0 confidence in Nagy, 100% confidence in Montgomery. I'm starting him. We'll probably know by the end of the 3rd quarter if this guy will be a low-end RB1 or a massive bust depending on how Nagy uses him.

Just got him in the 3rd in a 12 team dynasty .5 ppr start up... What ya think?

Edited by chance182

33 minutes ago, SpartanEric said:

FIFY.  

Also, Mike Davis is probably going to be a bit of a pest.  

True, but i remember last year the bears would have a lead in games and Nagy would still dial up 35+ pass attempts.

• Like 2

On 9/2/2019 at 7:43 AM, SpionKop said:

Who's playing him week 1? Torn between him and James White but think i'll go Montgomery here.

He's a no doubt start for me.

40 minutes ago, SpartanEric said:

FIFY.  

Also, Mike Davis is probably going to be a bit of a pest.  

I do not think Davis is going to be much of a pest this season unless Montgomery struggles. 

Chicago had 468 rushing attempts last season-- the 6th most of all teams. On a rush heavy team like CHI, you can live with another back (or two) seeing 15+% of the team's carries. 

All you need is for Montgomery to see the same volume Howard saw last year which is completely reasonable. That would be about half the team's total carries, the rest split between Cohen and Davis with Mitch sprinkling in 50+. 

Edited by Grayson2401

On 9/2/2019 at 10:47 AM, mongidig said:

I don't think Davis is a long term threat to Montgomery. I think early on he may be annoying to Montgomery owners. I've seen it too many times where coaches overthink easing in their rookie back. Carlos Hyde shouldn't have been a threat to Chubbs playing time but he was.

Nagy is not Hue Jackson

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, sportsfreak2744 said:

Nagy is not Hue Jackson

True!

I'd feel a heck of a lot better if Montgomery was going in the 5th. I will pull the trigger on him if he goes in the 4th though. I do believe he will be the guy and it will simply take a leap of faith that he is the guy from the get go. I do love the talent.

Edited by mongidig

1 hour ago, pdog109 said:

True, but i remember last year the bears would have a lead in games and Nagy would still dial up 35+ pass attempts.

This. This right here is exactly what I’m talking about

3 hours ago, Grayson2401 said:

Chicago had 468 rushing attempts last season-- the 6th most of all teams. On a rush heavy team like CHI, you can live with another back (or two) seeing 15+% of the team's carries.

All you need is for Montgomery to see the same volume Howard saw last year which is completely reasonable. That would be about half the team's total carries, the rest split between Cohen and Davis with Mitch sprinkling in 50+.

Howard got about 70% of the RB carries.  The rushing attempts were skewed by Trubisky running 99 times.  Only 360 of the team's carries were by RBs. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nap Time said:

Howard got about 70% of the RB carries.  The rushing attempts were skewed by Trubisky running 99 times.  Only 360 of the team's carries were by RBs. 

Mitch had 68 rushing attempts last season. Cohen had 99 rushes. You may have mixed up your numbers. 

• Like 1

Monty is going to bring some serious juice to this offense. Howard had 270 touches and he wasn't very good. Monty's ability to catch the ball is going to also help Cohen not take some serious hits and be utilized as he should be.

11 hours ago, kev_k44 said:
12 hours ago, pdog109 said:

I am, and even though I love the guy, I’m a bit nervous. 

He's on Thursday night football....first game of the season....how do you not start him?  I'd be super excited to watch him.

I'm not saying he's going to have a big game, but I would be stunned if he's not heavily involved.  He should be getting a lot of touches.

25 minutes ago, Brownsfan74 said:

He's on Thursday night football....first game of the season....how do you not start him?  I'd be super excited to watch him.

I'm not saying he's going to have a big game, but I would be stunned if he's not heavily involved.  He should be getting a lot of touches.

I just don't want to start the season off on a sour note and watch DM get 8 carries for 23 yards meanwhile Mike Davis gets 12 carries and Nagy airs it out like an air head. Remember last year when bears defense knocked out Rodgers in the first half and were up like 20 something points. Yeah bears lost that game because Nagy is a poo poo head. Maybe he learned from his mistakes, maybe not.

24 minutes ago, Brownsfan74 said:

He's on Thursday night football....first game of the season....how do you not start him?

Sorry for going a bit off topic here but I'm guilty of this all the time. Starting a thurs night guy to feed my fix for a little action. Trying to tone that s--- down this year as it frequently burns me. 

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, fingers said:

Sorry for going a bit off topic here but I'm guilty of this all the time. Starting a thurs night guy to feed my fix for a little action. Trying to tone that s--- down this year as it frequently burns me. 

I say this every Friday but YOLO. 

1 hour ago, Grayson2401 said:

Mitch had 68 rushing attempts last season. Cohen had 99 rushes. You may have mixed up your numbers.

Thanks, you're right.  But RBs did have 360 carries and Howard got 70% of that.

47 minutes ago, pdog109 said:

I just don't want to start the season off on a sour note and watch DM get 8 carries for 23 yards meanwhile Mike Davis gets 12 carries and Nagy airs it out like an air head. Remember last year when bears defense knocked out Rodgers in the first half and were up like 20 something points. Yeah bears lost that game because Nagy is a poo poo head. Maybe he learned from his mistakes, maybe not.

I remember 2017 Nagy where his RB got me 42 points on Thursday...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, fingers said:

it burns me too, but i just couldn't live with myself if I sat Monty, and then watch him tear it up. That would be way worse for me than playing him and him not having a productive game. 

1 minute ago, Nap Time said:

Thanks, you're right.  But RBs did have 360 carries and Howard got 70% of that.

Sure, and it is completely reasonable to think he sees similar usage. He will also see more passing down work which would/could/should offset any potential dip in rushing share percentages. 

2 minutes ago, dakimbell said:

it burns me too, but i just couldn't live with myself if I sat Monty, and then watch him tear it up. That would be way worse for me than playing him and him not having a productive game. 

Agree.  Plus, we're talking about a guy who you likely drafted as your RB2.  I dunno who your RB3 is, but it's never a horrible decision to start your RB2 against a non-elite defense. 

It's not like you're starting ARob over Adam Thielen, just because you get to see ARob play (although I bet a few of you junkies would do that).

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, fingers said:

I get that, and am just as guilty of doing the same thing. BUT...I am starting D-Mo (at Flex) Thursday night. Damn the consequences!!!