Mr2Saint

David Montgomery 2019 Outlook

Just now, Homerj24 said:

That said, I am still scared to start Monty tomorrow night. I have no concerns regarding his value over the course of the season, but early on Chicago could ease him in. I have him as a FLEX player in my keeper league and may consider other options.

I don't have those concerns.  Nagy gave him starter's treatment during the preseason as I think they wanted to make sure he would full go Week 1.  Green Bay's defense against the run last season was middle of the road.

This is a HUGE game for the Bears.  First game of the season, home game versus Green Bay.  There will be no easing in.  Someone above me said that this time next week, we're going to be viewing Monty as an RB1.  And I agree completely.  Start with  confidence.  Also, all this "Nagy is a moron" stuff is way, WAY overblown.  True, he made some curious decisions last year, particularly with the lead.  But for every example of Nagy calling a zone read for Mitch in short yardage situation, I can find you 5 where he handed it to Howard to run into Kyle Long for no gain.  Everyone remembers the exceptions, no one remembers when Nagy "did what he's supposed to do."  Nagy committed to Howard, and Howard failed.  Expect a similar commitment to a more talented back this year, with much better results.

• Like 2

You gotta start Montgomery - It's the first game of the season ...the anticipation and hype is too strong ...

1 hour ago, Ryansm11 said:

I drafted Montgomery so he’s going to be an RB1 guys, don’t worry. 

I drafted him too. Which by looking at my past luck, I'm terribly sorry in advance.

10 minutes ago, Fort4242 said:

I feel like this narrative has been debunked 100 times in this thread already.  Nagy WANTED to use Jordan Howard as a three down back.  He force fed him targets the first few weeks, and once Howard proved incapable, then he started using Cohen as the 3rd down/pass catcher RB.  If Jordan Howard could have mad some hay with the targets he got weeks 1-3, I guarantee Nagy would have kept using him that way.  But Howard couldn't deliver in that role, so Nagy had to separate the 2 backs and pigeon hole them into respective roles.  With limited draft capital this year, he moved UP and got a guy very similar to the RB he had success with in KC.  An RB who can actually catch and run, a true 3 down back.  Not someone like Jordan Howard who they pretended could be a 3 down guy but was ineffective.  

This.

Howard had 9 targets thru two weeks and was mostly ineffective. He never saw more than 3 in a game afterward and averaged just a hair over 1 target a game. Nagy tried to stand by his word and made an early effort, but it proved ineffective and he moved on. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Grayson2401 said:

This.

Howard had 9 targets thru two weeks and was mostly ineffective. He never saw more than 3 in a game afterward and averaged just a hair over 1 target a game. Nagy tried to stand by his word and made an early effort, but it proved ineffective and he moved on. 

This has nothing to do with how Howard was run. He was run incorrectly. Also, the implication by @ThunderDan that Howard has TRich-tier vision is laughable. He didn't have any issues picking up yardage and one-cutting into holes before Nagy came along. Again, by actually watching games, you can tell when a guy is just being used like a battering ram. Ineffectively, might I add.

These bad and uninformed arguments will hopefully be irrelevant though. Nagy invested nothing in Howard. He invested plenty in Montgomery, who is a very different type of running back. We'll see whether Montgomery's talent or Nagy's inability to scheme a running game wins out. I'm betting on the former. 

6 minutes ago, miasma16 said:

This has nothing to do with how Howard was run. He was run incorrectly. Also, the implication by @ThunderDan that Howard has TRich-tier vision is laughable. He didn't have any issues picking up yardage and one-cutting into holes before Nagy came along. Again, by actually watching games, you can tell when a guy is just being used like a battering ram. Ineffectively, might I add.

These bad and uninformed arguments will hopefully be irrelevant though. Nagy invested nothing in Howard. He invested plenty in Montgomery, who is a very different type of running back. We'll see whether Montgomery's talent or Nagy's inability to scheme a running game wins out. I'm betting on the former. 

I think everyone--myself included-- has made it clear that Howard was not a fit for Nagy's offense. And regardless, he saw 250 carries last season. It bodes well for Montgomery. That is the argument. 

But to the argument about Howard not having issues before Nagy: He did see his YPC decline from 5.2 (2016) to 4.1 (2017) prior to Nagy's arrival. And FWIW, his YPR dropped from 10.3 to 5.4. So even though Howard may have been a bad fit or misused, however you prefer to word it, maybe he is not quite as good as he appeared in his rookie season.

I’m so pumped about having this guy on my team. Had Howard last year too, and the let down is going to be even bigger if Montgomery is a bust.

13 hours ago, SadFaceHappy said:

Howard was used terribly, and ridiculously talked up via coachspeak preseason.  He'd produced in his 2 previous seasons, and many of us got burned because we thought said coachspeak could only lead to greater heights.

We were wrong, and we paid for it.  Thus, we're reasonably bitter towards Nagy and wary of any bs he spouts before the season starts.  For another example, see: Burton, Trey.

The coachspeak coming out of Chicago regarding Montgomery is the same as that about Howard last year.

That being said, I just got him for $17/$200 in auction, then added Jacobs for 21/200, and one of them should provide a solid RB2.

Howard put up good numbers in an archaic offense on a terrible team. Nagy runs a modern offense and wins games. Howard couldn't cut it in that system. He's not dynamic. He has no burst. He can't run routes or make plays with the ball in his hands. 

That's all on Howard, not Nagy. If you wanted Nagy to run the comically horrible John Fox 1980s offense so Howard could pile up useless numbers, then that's on you. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, ajs723 said:

If you wanted Nagy to run the comically horrible John Fox 1980s offense so Howard could pile up useless numbers, then that's on you.

As a Howard owner last year (and not a Bears fan) I would have had 0 problems with this 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, oliminator123 said:

As a Howard owner last year (and not a Bears fan) I would have had 0 problems with this 😄

Ha! As a Bears fan, I would have been tearing my hair out, again. 

If you aren't a Bears fan, you have no idea how great it feels to finally have a competent, modern NFL offense. Jury is still out on the QB, IMO, but Nagy knows what he's doing. 

5 hours ago, FreakFries said:

Nagy was using defensive players as goal line backs last year. The Bears starter chart is meaningless.

Yeah, I really don't understand Nagy.  He came into last season as this offensive guru, but he makes some very questionable decisions. Hopefully he sees Monty as the most talented back on his roster, and plays him like it.🙄

3 hours ago, ajs723 said:

Ha! As a Bears fan, I would have been tearing my hair out, again. 

If you aren't a Bears fan, you have no idea how great it feels to finally have a competent, modern NFL offense. Jury is still out on the QB, IMO, but Nagy knows what he's doing. 

I wish I was as confident as you.  The bears have an outstanding defense, so running the ball should be priority with the lead, meaning Monty touches.  I just don't understand his coaching decisions sometimes.  PS, a good pk might get them to the SB.🏈

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ThunderDan said:

This is a HUGE game for the Bears.  First game of the season, home game versus Green Bay.  There will be no easing in.  Someone above me said that this time next week, we're going to be viewing Monty as an RB1.  And I agree completely.  Start with  confidence.  Also, all this "Nagy is a moron" stuff is way, WAY overblown.  True, he made some curious decisions last year, particularly with the lead.  But for every example of Nagy calling a zone read for Mitch in short yardage situation, I can find you 5 where he handed it to Howard to run into Kyle Long for no gain.  Everyone remembers the exceptions, no one remembers when Nagy "did what he's supposed to do."  Nagy committed to Howard, and Howard failed.  Expect a similar commitment to a more talented back this year, with much better results.

spacer.png

Preach! 

Although I'm somewhat hoping that Mike Davis gets the first carry of the game just to watch this thread absolutely meltdown.  Pdog I'm lookin at you

• Like 2

I'm a Montgomery owner and starting him tomorrow..  Im feeling optimistic about it too..  Howard's been on my squad the last couple years but something didn't feel right last year..  I mean you could just sense it,,  whether it was Nagy or Howard idk.. But if Nagy is this excited about Monty then I'm rolling with him.. Hopefully he pans out and all the fantasy owners get to cash in on him

2 minutes ago, ThunderDan said:

Although I'm somewhat hoping that Mike Davis gets the first carry of the game just to watch this thread absolutely meltdown.  Pdog I'm lookin at you

I don't actually expect to see Montgomery start the game tomorrow but I do expect him to be the leading RB for the team and to put up solid numbers.

3 hours ago, ThunderDan said:

I'll save the meltdown for the 3rd quarter when the bears have a double digit lead and Nagy dials up more pass plays and continually goes 3 and out using Davis.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ThunderDan said:

Don't worry, the season is young... There's still time for pleeeeeeennnnty of Pdog meltdowns 😂

• Haha 2

It's between Montgomery and Aaron Jones in one of my leagues, I'm going with Monty since he faces a softer Defense..Let's gooooo 

i hope this guys is a monster this year.... solid rb2 numbers is all we ask for i think

Edited by Patrick Bateman
Don't need to know about your draft.

Monty about to feast. Have to imagine the bears staff is chomping at the bit to show off their shiny new to everyone.