Mr2Saint

David Montgomery 2019 Outlook

1 hour ago, RMJ_12 said:

He gave 250 carries to a guy he thought was valued at a FUTURE 6th round pick.

Gurley's injury wasn't caused from overuse, it's from his ACL tear in college.

Nobody "needs" a RB that badly.  They literally told Montgomery pre-draft that they were gonna draft him and kept their promise.  They wanted him whether he's worth it or not.

I still don’t trust Nagy enough to draft this kid.

the 250 carries he gave Howard were wildly inconsistent and were often limited even in games where he looked unstoppable. There was no way to predict when Howard was startable and most times he wasn’t. 

Regardless of the reason for TG’s injury, RBBC seems to be the solution in LA and is still ever more popular around the league.

Thats great that the Bears liked DM the best in the class and told him before the draft but had they not drafted a start-now RB all they would have is a 5’6” T Cohen as a bell cow RB. 

I could he be wrong and even hope I am as l like as many workhorse RBs as possible in the NFL because I think it makes FF more fun but I just don’t trust Nagy. I had my eye on Jordan all last off-season and drafted him and Nagy gave false info at every turn and almost never gameplanned what for what many thought was the optimal offense each week. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, RMJ_12 said:

They were 6th in the league in rushing attempts...

Which translated to Howard being like RB23 or so.

18 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

They were favorable game scripts for Howard, like leads in the 4th quarter, but Nagy kept dialing up pass after pass.  That cost them wins against Miami and Green Bay.  I don't really think it will change all that much.

I agree, this thread has a much more optimistic tone than Howard's thread last year. 

6 hours ago, bhawks489 said:

Just bought in dynasty as the 1.06. Didn't think he'd make it that far.

I really like the landing spot for him and think Davis is there as insurance more than anything. This is a team that was expected to go to the divisional round in the playoffs. It's nice to have that backup in case Montgomery/cohen go down.

(assuming Montgomery doesn't flub in training camp)

I'm not high on Montgomery but 1.06 is good value. Depending on the league settings, I would think he's picked 2nd or 3rd in most leagues.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, FISH20 said:

I'm not high on Montgomery but 1.06 is good value. Depending on the league settings, I would think he's picked 2nd or 3rd in most leagues.

I actually didnt like him as much as sanders/henderson and thought he looked kinda clunky running the ball but i like the landing spot. Im a bears homer too so another reason why i snagged him.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, bhawks489 said:

I actually didnt like him as much as sanders/henderson and thought he looked kinda clunky running the ball but i like the landing spot. Im a bears homer too so another reason why i snagged him.

and this explains sooooooo much. . .🤣

1 hour ago, hoppychokes said:

Which translated to Howard being like RB23 or so.

Yes, Howard is a mediocre RB that didn't fit the offense and couldn't catch.  He was also just traded for a future 6th round pick.  The team that traded for him is also so confident in him that they drafted a RB in the 2nd round.

8 minutes ago, dashoe said:

I mean he should be a top 3 dynasty pick so 1.06 is great value, homer or not.

6 minutes ago, RMJ_12 said:

Yes, Howard is a mediocre RB that didn't fit the offense and couldn't catch.  He was also just traded for a future 6th round pick.  The team that traded for him is also so confident in him that they drafted a RB in the 2nd round.

Weren't we discussing gamescripts and rushing numbers? Cohen is still going to catch the majority of balls and Montgomery will be dealing with the same gamescripts Howard did. Montgomery will definity catch more balls, but trusting a Nagy gamescript is risky. Trying to spin a solid bears D as leading to a positive RB gamescript is also something that Nagy has yet to demonstrate.

• Thanks 1

Weren't we discussing gamescripts and rushing numbers? Cohen is still going to catch the majority of balls and Montgomery will be dealing with the same gamescripts Howard did. Montgomery will definity catch more balls, but trusting a Nagy gamescript is risky. Trying to spin a solid bears D as leading to a positive RB gamescript is also something that Nagy has yet to demonstrate.

Would it be crazy to think Monty could average an additional .5+ ypc and at least 2-3 more catches per game than Howard last 

12 minutes ago, psygolf said:

Would it be crazy to think Monty could average an additional .5+ ypc and at least 2-3 more catches per game than Howard last 

The kid did have 57 catches in 2 years as the starter in college. That's pretty good for college. Zeke had 58 in his 2 years as a starter and hes a 3 down guy who had 70 plus catches last year. I see no reason Montgomery couldnt grab 40-45 balls. While cohen still gets the lions share lining up all over the field. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, dashoe said:

Care to explain?

😏😏😏😏

Edited by bhawks489

Well if you're going to bash Montgomery because of Howard's lack of success, that seems like a legitimate reason to bring up why Howard wasn't successful. 

Howard did not fit the offense, hence why he was much better with John Fox than he was with Nagy.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, hoppychokes said:

I still don't understand the game script/rushing total argument.  Howard received double digit carries in every games last season except one.  He was 13th in the league in total carries inside the 5 yard line.  All this to a RB he clearly didn't like.

Edited by RMJ_12
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, RMJ_12 said:

I still don't understand the game script/rushing total argument.  Howard received double digit carries in every games last season except one.  He was 13th in the league in total carries inside the 5 yard line.  All this to a RB he clearly didn't like.

I think he could be making the point that all rush attempts are not created equal? Howard vs Cohen rush attempts were different in terms of the play calling. Cohen was used in a lot of end runs and in space which if he beat the defense he would have an explosive play and Howard was used in a lot of short yardage dust clouds, given the Bears were ranked  in the top 5 of playing with the lead and time of possession. Also whichever is your favorite metric to evaluate his production per rushing attempt Howard consistently ranked as a rb4 or rb5.

So he was basically a thumper used to kill the clock and set up the more explosive plays Nagy wanted to run.

9 hours ago, bhawks489 said:

Care to explain?

😏😏😏😏

No you homer because all you will do is homer me to death with your homerisms. . . 😂

48 minutes ago, dashoe said:

No you homer because all you will do is homer me to death with your homerisms. . . 😂

You need to stop drinking.

52 minutes ago, dashoe said:

Sing, Goddess, Achilles' rage,

Black and murderous, that cost the Greeks Incalculable pain, pitched countless souls

Of heroes into Hades' dark,

And left their bodies to rot as feasts

For dogs and birds, as Zeus' will was done.

Begin with the clash between Agamemnon--

The Greek warlord--and godlike Achilles.

I mean, nothing wrong with being Homer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, bhawks489 said:

You need to stop drinking.

You are correct. I have a problem, I drink Ginseng tea until I blackout. . . 😜

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Stonej14 said:

The kid did have 57 catches in 2 years as the starter in college. That's pretty good for college. Zeke had 58 in his 2 years as a starter and hes a 3 down guy who had 70 plus catches last year. I see no reason Montgomery couldnt grab 40-45 balls. While cohen still gets the lions share lining up all over the field. 

The math kind of adds up to a Mixon level.

12 hours ago, RMJ_12 said:

Double digit carries in every game but one?  So, like, 10 or 11 carries?  

Do you want a running back in your fantasy lineup who gets 11 carries?  I don't.

Now let's have more fun with numbers, shall we?

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Double digit carries in every game but one?  So, like, 10 or 11 carries?  

Do you want a running back in your fantasy lineup who gets 11 carries?  I don't.

Now let's have more fun with numbers, shall we?

Yes, let's.

Jordan Howard was 6th in the league in total carries and somehow you're using this as an argument against David Montgomery's 2019 outlook.  Mind blowing.

In context, Joe Mixon received between 11-14 Carrie's in a game 7 times last season.  Better avoid him as well.

Saquon Barkley received between 11-15 carries in a game NINE times last season, screw that he's undraftable.

Edited by RMJ_12
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, RMJ_12 said:

Yes, let's.

Jordan Howard was 6th in the league in total carries and somehow you're using this as an argument against David Montgomery's 2019 outlook.  Mind blowing.

In context, Joe Mixon received between 11-14 Carrie's in a game 7 times last season.  Better avoid him as well.

Saquon Barkley received between 11-15 carries in a game NINE times last season, screw that he's undraftable.

Tons of opportunity, not sure how that's a negative either 

Howard was also shipped for a 6th so that shows how low the staff thought of him

Edited by bhawks489
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, RMJ_12 said:

Yes, let's.

I am guessing you did not follow Jordan Howard closely in 2018.  Looking at his end of season numbers is somewhat misleading.

Howard's best game of the season was meaningless (for both Chicago and fantasy) week 17:  109 yards and 2 TDs.  So get rid of that one right off the bat.

Second, Howard was used so poorly and so inefficiently that he had 9 games below 4 yards per carry.  Of those, 5 were under 2.5 yards per carry.  And Howard had two games where he got under 2 yards per carry!

He did have 5 TDs not counting week 17, but they were sprinkled throughought the season and difficult to predict.  Nagy even trolled us by having a defensive tackle score some 1 yard TDs.

So having the Bears primary running back in fantasy in 2018 was a nightmare.  And that was because the coach did not value the running game, and when he did run Jordan Howard, he did so uncreatively.  I am very unlikely to sign up for a second helping of that, even though now presumably it will be Montgomery instead of Howard.

1 hour ago, bhawks489 said:

Tons of opportunity, not sure how that's a negative either 

Howard was also shipped for a 6th so that shows how low the staff thought of him

They weren't going to get a lot for a RB on the last year of his rookie deal. Ajayi was flipped for a 3rd rounder with 2 years remaining on his rookie contract. He probably would have been traded for a 3rd or 4th round pick if they flipped him before the 2018 season.

Trubisky is going to be the fantasy stud on this offense. All the other skills positions will be a headache to figure out. . .😆